FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   American Express retention offers [2008 - 2016] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1290571-american-express-retention-offers-2008-2016-a.html)

cubachao Feb 20, 2015 10:44 am

call to cancel persoal DL Plat card. no offer at all, only offer to downgrade to gold card with another application. they even told me there is no offer on Plat card( i know that is a lie). anyone to teach me how to talk about retention offer?

maksimfa Feb 20, 2015 5:14 pm

Called 3rd and 4th times today for retention offers on either my business platinum or gold personal. Nothing. Was told by one agent it was due to the large amount of credits I received throughout the year.

Downgraded my Business Platinum to Business Gold.

Will likely cancel the Personal PRG and apply for platinum MB charge card with the new 50k offer.

dlandz Feb 21, 2015 1:01 pm

Personal Platinum, never called for retention before, offered $200 statement credit or 5k pts +15k pts after $1k spend (might have been $3k?)... If it was both of those together I might have taken it but couldn't get them to bite. Relocated away from Dallas so benefits ie Centurion lounge became useless.. Also tried to downgrade me to Everyday card for 10k pts after $1k spend

Sean22mac Feb 21, 2015 2:39 pm

Just called about my Canadian Amex Gold Rewards. About $60K spend. Right away offered 20,000 MR and excepted.

gates_2 Feb 23, 2015 9:55 am

PRG gold, $175 AF became due, very little spend(minimum only)- offered 5K MR points upfront + 15K after 3K spend in next 60 days. Accepted!

aviator33 Feb 23, 2015 5:59 pm

Mercedes Benz Platinum Retention

$100 only. No points, nothing else. Very limited spending on one year old card. HUCA.

JackDaniels Feb 24, 2015 9:15 am

Called to cancel PRG gold. Spent about 70k on the card last year. Was offered 5K MR points upfront and 15K after 3K spend in next 60 days.

cubachao Feb 24, 2015 11:32 pm

2nd try for my DL PLAT card. NO OFFER. either to upgrade to reserve or downgrade to gold. I only have 2k spend last year and I dont want to cancel it because I want the travel certificate and I have 100k DL miles need to burn. but 195 AF is really high on the card I dont use. Will try it again when the AF posted.

so normally AMEX not offering for DL plat card? looks like citi and chase try their best to keep AA and UA cards, AMEX do the opposite way? or they are so confident that the benefits they offer are the best and not willing to change? Thanks.

United747 Feb 25, 2015 11:07 am

Originally Posted by cubachao (Post 24410692)
2nd try for my DL PLAT card. NO OFFER. either to upgrade to reserve or downgrade to gold. I only have 2k spend last year and I dont want to cancel it because I want the travel certificate and I have 100k DL miles need to burn. but 195 AF is really high on the card I dont use. Will try it again when the AF posted.

so normally AMEX not offering for DL plat card? looks like citi and chase try their best to keep AA and UA cards, AMEX do the opposite way? or they are so confident that the benefits they offer are the best and not willing to change? Thanks.

My DL Plat annual fee is coming up soon, I'll try to get an offer, but I will most likely either downgrade or cancel. I called previously about a product change and they offered me SPG, so hopefully that offer still stands.

eajusa Feb 25, 2015 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by cubachao (Post 24410692)

Isn't there a standing offer, in other words, not targeted, for 5K miles and 5K MQM when you upgrade from DL Pat to Reserve?

United747 Feb 25, 2015 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by eajusa (Post 24413942)
Isn't there a standing offer, in other words, not targeted, for 5K miles and 5K MQM when you upgrade from DL Pat to Reserve?

I don't know if it's targeted or not, but my account is eligible.

cubachao Feb 25, 2015 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by United747 (Post 24414260)
I don't know if it's targeted or not, but my account is eligible.

Yes, the agent offered me that. But I don't want to upgrade. Just want some miles or statement credit to my plat card. No offer, and they seems to happy to close my account.

shihyin Feb 26, 2015 4:58 am

Called about PRG before membership fee posted, and no offer. Will call again after fee posted.

bakoboy Feb 26, 2015 11:01 am

Called to cancel a Delta Gold American Express because the $95 annual fee posted on the statement.

I downgraded to a "classic" AmEx card that has no annual fee. I did this because of what I read on FT about the lifetime restriction on getting sign up bonuses going forward and wanted to keep an AmEx card. Sometimes an AmEx is useful.

Are there any other cards or methods for getting Delta miles?

mia Feb 26, 2015 11:07 am

Originally Posted by bakoboy (Post 24419664)
Are there any other cards or methods for getting Delta miles?

Many.

• There are several other American Express SkyMiles credit cards.
  • American Express Membership Rewards points convert 1:1 to SkyMiles
  • Starwood Preferred Guest Starpoints convert 1:1 or 20,000:25,000 to SkyMiles.