FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   American Express retention offers [2008 - 2016] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1290571-american-express-retention-offers-2008-2016-a.html)

DanTravel Jan 21, 2015 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by DoctorORD (Post 24208563)
I didn't actually yell at them :P It was more like "it seems really unfair that I referred so many people to platinum, told them what a great card it was, they got these great offers, and I got zilch -- since this keeps happening, please cancel my card asap" --> transferred to member services rep --> repeated the same thing --> got my bonus. No "dykwia" talk at all.

I used that same spiel last year - and very true - I stand by my words, but they offered me 15k. Up for renewal in a few months.. Let's see.

flyCsG Jan 21, 2015 7:41 pm

Canada personal Plat. At close to 90 days after annual fee is charged now.

Offered 10K for 2nd year. Averaged about $1.2k/month charged since I got it, with some cutbacks past few months as I transfer most charge to another card in anticipation of closing this card - no crazy spend amounts here.

On the plus side, I'll be able to self-refer back to Gold in a few months - so total benefit for staying is 25K MR (minus $50 for GCR?). Also 3 trips coming up without lounge access, and this will allow me that.

Told the rep I'll think about it.. What do you think? I could probably squeeze another referral in this year (just got 2 referrals this past 2 weeks for 30K total ^) for another 15K..

virtualfellow Jan 21, 2015 10:54 pm

I know this sounds stupid... but many of these retention offers dont seem as lucrative as the signup bonuses of other cards. My card Aeroplan Amex Platinum has a $499 fee ... I am not paying that kinda fee without getting something similar to the bonus I got to sign up (50k).

Just so i am clear - If you cancel, and then signup for a different version of the same card (lower as theres an AMEX gold for $120 or higher as theres an AMEX Reserve for $899 fee) - then do you get the signup bonuses for them? But nothing if you stay with the same card?

DanTravel Jan 22, 2015 8:51 am

Originally Posted by virtualfellow (Post 24211981)
I know this sounds stupid... but many of these retention offers dont seem as lucrative as the signup bonuses of other cards. My card Aeroplan Amex Platinum has a $499 fee ... I am not paying that kinda fee without getting something similar to the bonus I got to sign up (50k).

Just so i am clear - If you cancel, and then signup for a different version of the same card (lower as theres an AMEX gold for $120 or higher as theres an AMEX Reserve for $899 fee) - then do you get the signup bonuses for them? But nothing if you stay with the same card?

Yes. If you change cards, you will get the sign up bonus of the new card.

levilevi Jan 22, 2015 2:55 pm

DL SM Plat renewal hit - had card for 2 years, 26k last year on it, called retention line directly, got 5k + 2.5k if I spend $2,000 in 60 days - said I'd think about it. Fee posted on 1/11, have till 2/8 for full.

I also have DL SM PL biz card, not sure if that was a factor (negative I would think)

ucfzf10 Jan 22, 2015 6:45 pm

Called after AF posted on PRG. Got 15000 MR points & 5000 MR after $3000 in 60 days. Keeping the card.

I was also offered - $75 credit & $75 credit after $1500 in 60 days.

ChicagoTraveller11 Jan 22, 2015 10:15 pm

Personal AmEx Delta Platinum, 1 yr

Final offer- 15k skymiles + additional 2.5k after $2k spend
First offer- 5k skymiles + additional 2.5k after $2k spend

Probably could have negotiated 25k miles but lost patience after 30min on phone. Anyone successful in getting 25k retention on personal Delta Platinum?

levilevi Jan 23, 2015 7:50 am

Originally Posted by ChicagoTraveller11 (Post 24218168)
Personal AmEx Delta Platinum, 1 yr

Final offer- 15k skymiles + additional 2.5k after $2k spend
First offer- 5k skymiles + additional 2.5k after $2k spend

Probably could have negotiated 25k miles but lost patience after 30min on phone. Anyone successful in getting 25k retention on personal Delta Platinum?

Hey ChiTrav - looks like you got my initial offer too - did you HUCB or just haggle? Mind me asking your spend?

Stgermainparis Jan 23, 2015 8:20 am

Chatted online re AF and canceling. Offered nada. Last year got 50k MR as retention after first year.

AF just posted and is due 2/5. If I wait to cancel in March, will my AF be prorated? I'd like to use it for a trip early march.

mia Jan 23, 2015 8:23 am

In my experience American Express (USA) automatically prorates and refunds the unearned portion of any annual fee. No need to ask, it just happens.

habsben Jan 24, 2015 5:55 pm

Canceled the Platinum card today. No retention offers made, although the rep did note that I didn't spend a lot on the card (which is true! probably under $1000 for the year).

chongl Jan 24, 2015 6:14 pm

Got 25K last year and they said there's nothing they could offer me this year.

bruinfan90 Jan 25, 2015 12:48 pm

PRG Gold Card - 1st year renewal. Offered: (a) Full Annual Fee Waiver, or (b) 25,000 Points.

DeathChurch Jan 25, 2015 1:15 pm

I just got off the phone from calling to cancel my PRG card. Was put on hold for a minute and when the agent came back he offered me 25K MR points. I definitely accepted.

thewhitezone Jan 25, 2015 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by bruinfan90 (Post 24231645)
PRG Gold Card - 1st year renewal. Offered: (a) Full Annual Fee Waiver, or (b) 25,000 Points.

Originally Posted by DeathChurch (Post 24231776)
I just got off the phone from calling to cancel my PRG card. Was put on hold for a minute and when the agent came back he offered me 25K MR points. I definitely accepted.

when are your PRG cards up for renewal? I just called this week trying to trigger the 25k offer and was told it was too early for anything to be offered. I am up for renewal in March