FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   American Express retention offers [2008 - 2016] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1290571-american-express-retention-offers-2008-2016-a.html)

milehightcityguy84 Sep 25, 2014 7:21 am

Platinum card open for one year with $21k of annual spend. Called and said that I wasn't sure if it was worth it to keep my account open given the annual fee. After some questions was offered a $200 statement credit. Asked if there were any options that included membership rewards points. Agent offered 25k points to keep the account open instead of the statement credit and I accepted the points.

elg26 Sep 25, 2014 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by milehightcityguy84 (Post 23579284)
Platinum card open for one year with $21k of annual spend. Called and said that I wasn't sure if it was worth it to keep my account open given the annual fee. After some questions was offered a $200 statement credit. Asked if there were any options that included membership rewards points. Agent offered 25k points to keep the account open instead of the statement credit and I accepted the points.

Did you do this right after AF posted? Or shortly before it was to post?

milehightcityguy84 Sep 26, 2014 6:31 am

Originally Posted by elg26 (Post 23581965)
Did you do this right after AF posted? Or shortly before it was to post?

I called 5 days after the annual fee posted.

howtofreetravel Sep 27, 2014 12:43 pm

Is it possible to get a 2nd retention bonus on the same card? also what happens if you do a product change or cancel the card after getting the bonus?

aeneas3 Sep 28, 2014 5:40 am

offered 2k miles to keep delta amex personal gold card. declined.

tnm5041 Sep 29, 2014 10:40 am

I am going to call today for my AMEX SPG Personal (about $40K spend). I obtained SPG Gold through meeting the $30K spend threshold on the card. Do I lose that status if I end up canceling the card?

Giroud Sep 29, 2014 12:34 pm

Delta Plat Amex- 1st year cardholder, 43k spent. Offered 12.5K SKM or 100 credit. Took 100 credit.

xchpstang Sep 29, 2014 8:05 pm

SPG personal opened October 2013. Spent about 35K on it. Called today and only offered 3K points. HUCA for now. Maybe will call after fee posts.

Silf Sep 30, 2014 11:55 pm

AeroplanPlus Platinum opened in October 2013 with around $25k+ annual spend. Called in to cancel because of not wanting to pay the annual fee and was offered 10k aeroplan miles to keep it open, declined and asked if there were any other offers, almost no hesitation and came back with 15k aeroplan miles to keep it open. Asked about any offers if I were to cancel and choose any other card but was not given any other offers. I have 60 days from when the annual fee is charged to cancel for a full refund so I'll think about it and see what else there is

dwatcher Oct 2, 2014 10:39 am

Not sure if I got lucky or if this is normal but I got 25K MR points to keep the PRG card open with no spend requirements. Last year I spent less than $900 on it (I had sign up offer of 50k after $500 spend when I signed up)

I took the points and will gladly pay $175 AF:D

hollywood50 Oct 2, 2014 4:55 pm

My first post. So I've had an Amex card for 11 months before calling. I spent well over 200k in my first 11 months with them. I have a business gold amex. I called to see what they would do for me and they did absolutely nothing. Pretty much sent me to the person who will cash out my remaining points before they would cancel my card. I didnt want to cancel the card so i told them i will consider keeping it before my annual fee is due in a few weeks? I expected for them to give me 25 or 50k points no questions asked. I feel like im getting robbed since i got nothing and some people on here don't spend any money and are getting points to keep their card!

United747 Oct 2, 2014 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by hollywood50 (Post 23617721)
My first post. So I've had an Amex card for 11 months before calling. I spent well over 200k in my first 11 months with them. I have a business gold amex. I called to see what they would do for me and they did absolutely nothing. Pretty much sent me to the person who will cash out my remaining points before they would cancel my card. I didnt want to cancel the card so i told them i will consider keeping it before my annual fee is due in a few weeks? I expected for them to give me 25 or 50k points no questions asked. I feel like im getting robbed since i got nothing and some people on here don't spend any money and are getting points to keep their card!

I had to push pretty hard for them to give me something. After I was finally transferred to retention dept. it was pretty easy to get the bonus.

hollywood50 Oct 2, 2014 6:41 pm

When should i call back? Problem was when i called and got transferred over to the rentention dept... I talked to a really cool guy buy he said his system was down and couldn't see parts of my account and he told me to call back the next day and gave me the direct number for their dept. The next day i called back the rentention dept directly and the lady did nothing for me.

Should i try it using online chat?

Thanks for the help.

United747 Oct 2, 2014 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by hollywood50 (Post 23618107)
When should i call back? Problem was when i called and got transferred over to the rentention dept... I talked to a really cool guy buy he said his system was down and couldn't see parts of my account and he told me to call back the next day and gave me the direct number for their dept. The next day i called back the rentention dept directly and the lady did nothing for me.

Should i try it using online chat?

Thanks for the help.

Online chat is basically useless for retention bonuses. I would try again with the direct number. One of the Flyertalk mottos is HUCA (hang up and call again) if you don't get the answer you were looking for.

azepine00 Oct 2, 2014 10:08 pm

No offers on 1 yo spg card. Closed.
No offers on 2 yo mb plat - will huca.