FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   American Express retention offers [2008 - 2016] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1290571-american-express-retention-offers-2008-2016-a.html)

MrPink Jan 3, 2012 12:58 pm

Called in today to cancel my Dec 2010 PR Gold card. Stated that I didn't really use the benefits and reluctant about the annual fee (both true really). About $18k of spend on it this year. No retention offer made or specifically requested. I think the rep noticed I had 4 other amex cards including Plat and just let me go :)

With the Plat, SPG, and Chase sapphire preferred I think I'll be fine. Though AMEX should probably be concerned about the sapphire preferred - that card is quite competitive compared to the Gold cards.

samwkchan Jan 3, 2012 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by MrPink (Post 17739463)
Called in today to cancel my Dec 2010 PR Gold card. Stated that I didn't really use the benefits and reluctant about the annual fee (both true really). About $18k of spend on it this year. No retention offer made or specifically requested. I think the rep noticed I had 4 other amex cards including Plat and just let me go :)

With the Plat, SPG, and Chase sapphire preferred I think I'll be fine. Though AMEX should probably be concerned about the sapphire preferred - that card is quite competitive compared to the Gold cards.

Sorry to know that. I think I am going to cancel my PR Gold Card when the annual fee comes as I don't spend much on it after receiving the sign-up bonus.

Can your points be retained or transferred to other cards?

mia Jan 4, 2012 6:02 am

Originally Posted by samwkchan (Post 17742659)
Can your points be retained or transferred to other cards?

The points are in your Membership Rewards account, not attached to the specific card. Rules are here, read (2) and (3) to understand the difference between immediate and 30 day forfeiture:

http://www.membershiprewards.com/cat...NTCANCELLATION

1. If for any reason we cancel any Linked Account (including because of your death, bankruptcy or insolvency), any points accrued in your program account will be forfeited. If we reinstate the Linked Account(s) within one year of cancellation, any points accrued in your program account may be converted into a participating Frequent Customer program or redeemed for a reward, provided all other conditions set forth herein have been met.
  2. If you voluntarily cancel enrollment in the program or cancel all Linked Accounts enrolled in the program but keep at least one AMEX Card open and in good standing, you will have up to 30 days from date of cancellation to redeem the points accrued in the program account.
  3. If you cancel a Linked Account and cancel all Cards that are issued by AMEX or its affiliates, all points accrued in the program account will be forfeited immediately.
  4. If any Linked Account is not in good standing, your enrollment in the program may be canceled or the points accrued in your program account forfeited.

MilesTalk Jan 4, 2012 1:06 pm

FYI - despite what Social Media wrote me, over the phone they offered a statement credit of $50 or 7,500 DL miles. Given my value on DL miles, I took the $50 ;-)

Originally Posted by daveland (Post 17739221)
Has the tide turned in favor of calling being the best way to try for retention credit again? The last couple of years a Secure Message using the Social Media subject seemed the way to go, but after receiving this gem of a reply to my Secure Message, that appears no longer the case:

Although we appreciate your loyalty we do not issue any type of compensation for the Membership fee. We do however offer Cards that have no fee at all. Perhaps one of those would suit your needs better. Please visit americanexpress.com to view our fee free products.

-- Noting of course I've received such "compensation for the Membership fee" nearly all of the 10 years I've had my business cards with them (there were a few years they didn't grant when spend was low). I also get truly agitated by replies like this - anyone at Amex can see I've been issued these credits before, so why lie and say they don't exist?

poortripplanner Jan 8, 2012 5:45 pm

offered $200 or 25,000 MR points

Originally Posted by Cannae (Post 17734589)
Received the option of 50,000 miles or $400 each of which is the "maximum retention bonus" I was informed. ~$100k/yr in spend on Amex Platinum. Member since '06

We spend much less than that on the card, but my husband has been an amex holder for about 20 years and we've only ever upgraded the card.
I didn't even know about the retention bonuses. We called to cancel the Plat. Amex as we though that we would not use the benefits too much this year. Upon learning that we would not get a prorated refund on the yearly fee we took the points as they have a stronger dollar value for me over the statement credit. (Hoping they have a point special on a gift card I use soon to maximize that even further)

mia Jan 8, 2012 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by poortripplanner (Post 17774808)
...we would not get a prorated refund on the yearly fee ...

If this is a personal or Business card issued in the USA the pro rated refund would have been issued automatically. If the CSR told you otherwise I think there was there was a misunderstanding.

poortripplanner Jan 8, 2012 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 17774830)
If this is a personal or Business card issued in the USA the pro rated refund would have been issued automatically. If the CSR told you otherwise I think there was there was a misunderstanding.

I initially spoke with a rep that told me that a prorated refund WOULD be issued to either an existing Amex card with my husband as primary (which he doesn't have) or by way of check. This gentleman was in the final cancellation department, but I couldn't cancel it that day because just being the account manager isn't enough for final cancellation of the card. So when we called back a week or so later this rep told me that since he doesn't have another "charge" card or an amex branded "credit" card he wouldn't get the prorated refund. On top of that she said since it was more than three months after our renewal period that we wouldn't have gotten anything anyway. I even discussed with her what the other gentleman had told me, but she said that it was his misunderstanding.

mia Jan 8, 2012 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by poortripplanner (Post 17774919)
...more than three months after our renewal period that we wouldn't have gotten anything anyway.

I have not previously heard of any such rule, but such things do change. It is possible that American Express is protecting itself against people who cash out the airline fee refund benefit and then cancel. For information, I received a prorated refund in the 11th month of membership, and it was paid by check.

poortripplanner Jan 8, 2012 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 17775017)
I have not previously heard of any such rule, but such things do change. It is possible that American Express is protecting itself against people who cash out the airline fee refund benefit and then cancel. For information, I received a prorated refund in the 11th month of membership, and it was paid by check.

I can't imagine that it could help protect them with the airline credit as generally speaking everyone's membership renewal month is different. And specifically for us the renewal is in mid-August and at the time I went to cancel the card I had not used the full AA discount (did that with days of accepting the retention as it was near the end of 2011). That is certainly the explanation I was given by the last rep and she did assure me that we would not have been given anything back prorated, so I figured I'll keep the card, get the bonus miles, use the $200 AA in 2011 and now 2012. Come August I'll take a look at the need for the card again and determine if I will actually cancel it then.
I can't be sure she is actually correct, as since I kept it. I would say your experience otherwise would probably prove she was, in fact, wrong. Thanks for the info.

Ancien Maestro Jan 9, 2012 1:48 am

Depends on the explanation whether they'll pursue your retention.. When my wife cancelled her gold card, and our explanation was because she upgraded to a Platinum card already, no effort was made to retain us here in Canada..

anilyst Jan 9, 2012 11:52 am

Originally Posted by daveland (Post 17747129)
FYI - despite what Social Media wrote me, over the phone they offered a statement credit of $50 or 7,500 DL miles. Given my value on DL miles, I took the $50 ;-)

Same here. I called up the CSR, after paying my annual fees. Told them, how I had missed out on calling, thanks to holiday season etc. They promptly offered me $50 credit, which has already been posted to the account.

How I love AmEx!

ArlingtonTraveler Jan 15, 2012 11:25 am

I called to cancel my Rewards Plus Gold Card. I've had it since 2008. I cancelled it primarily because Membership Rewards no longer allows transfers to OnePass due to the United merger. I also cancelled it because tow year after I got the card, they cancelled the double miles for gas and groceries. Technically it was a promotion but it was alwasy renewed. So they expected me to pay $25 more to upgrade to the Premier Rewards retain double miles for gas and groceries? Homey don't play that.

I called to cancel and the nice rep, first tried to get me to change to a Zync card. I said because Zync inlcudes the basic tier of Membership Rewards which doesn't allow transfers to partners. Then she offered me a $50 courtesy credit which would have bought the annual fee down to $100. I still cancelled because I applied and was approved for a Chase Sapphire Preferred which carries only a $95 annual fee and still allows transfers to OnePass (soon Mileage Plus).

airplanepeanuts Jan 23, 2012 2:38 pm

Amex Retention Offer - Declined.

Have AMEX Plat, called to cancel recently because of $450 fee. Spent ~350K last year. Got retention offer of 50,000 MR points last May and thus denied a retention for now.

They interestingly told me to call back once it has been one year to rediscuss. That means 4 more months..

Stubtify Jan 23, 2012 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by airplanepeanuts (Post 17872424)
Have AMEX Plat, called to cancel recently because of $450 fee. Spent ~350K last year. Got retention offer of 50,000 MR points last May and thus denied a retention for now.

They interestingly told me to call back once it has been one year to rediscuss. That means 4 more months..

The "call back closer to your anniversary" is pretty standard. Also they'll be more people calling to cancel closer to the date of the big offers from last year, so they might be more willing to play ball in 4 months.

That said, good luck, the $450 is charged and gladly paid by MANY users of this card.

sbjnyc Jan 23, 2012 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Cannae (Post 17734589)
Received the option of 50,000 miles or $400 each of which is the "maximum retention bonus" I was informed. ~$100k/yr in spend on Amex Platinum. Member since '06

Wow. I spend around that much on my plat and would love to get a retention bonus like that. Unfortunately I don't intend on cancelling the card and don't want to be called on my bluff.