FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   American Express retention offers [2008 - 2016] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1290571-american-express-retention-offers-2008-2016-a.html)

LarkSFO Feb 9, 2012 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by booyaa (Post 17984753)
If you did not downgrade, then I don't think you answered the question...

Yes, that is why I said: "I did not downgrade."

My original intention was the same as the OP from my reading of their post (switch to the Gold card, and get any available sign on bonus), and I initially thought about whether I could achieve this through downgrading too.

However, I found this alternative approach which essentially achieved the intended result. I received the 25,000 bonus. When I cancel my plat card, I will have 'downgraded to gold'...

If the OP does not like my advice, they can simply ignore my suggestion. :)

As could have you....

longleaf Feb 9, 2012 4:29 pm

I'll add my retention bonus done today. I used my personal Amex plat just to get the bonus...i spent about only $5000 on the card the whole year (but i did a lot of spending on my SPG card). They offered me $100 to keep the card. I said i thanked him but told him i still wanted to cancel, he then said "Wait, i have a second offer...how about 15,000 points". I said sure that will do it. Perhaps i should have waited to see what was behind door number 3? I figure 15,000 points plus next year's airline bonus will pretty much make the $450 a wash.

booyaa Feb 9, 2012 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by LarkSFO (Post 17985135)
Yes, that is why I said: "I did not downgrade."

My original intention was the same as the OP from my reading of their post (switch to the Gold card, and get any available sign on bonus), and I initially thought about whether I could achieve this through downgrading too.

However, I found this alternative approach which essentially achieved the intended result. I received the 25,000 bonus. When I cancel my plat card, I will have 'downgraded to gold'...

If the OP does not like my advice, they can simply ignore my suggestion. :)

As could have you....

Just wanted to clarify, since you answered

I just did this. The answer is yes.
right away. Since you further explained right after that you did not downgrade, you could have just left out the yes answer from the beginning to minimize conflict in response. No big deal, just trying to prevent others from going huh? :)

booyaa Feb 9, 2012 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by longleaf (Post 17985313)
I'll add my retention bonus done today. I used my personal Amex plat just to get the bonus...i spent about only $5000 on the card the whole year (but i did a lot of spending on my SPG card). They offered me $100 to keep the card. I said i thanked him but told him i still wanted to cancel, he then said "Wait, i have a second offer...how about 15,000 points". I said sure that will do it. Perhaps i should have waited to see what was behind door number 3? I figure 15,000 points plus next year's airline bonus will pretty much make the $450 a wash.

Hmm according to a previous poster from the last page, he was offered $100 OR 15k points at the same time, so I'm not sure they see it as a better offer for you. It seems that they are either offering $400 or 50k points, $100 or 15k points, or $50 or 6k points.

LarkSFO Feb 9, 2012 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by booyaa (Post 17985715)
Just wanted to clarify, since you answered right away. Since you further explained right after that you did not downgrade, you could have just left out the yes answer from the beginning to minimize conflict in response. No big deal, just trying to prevent others from going huh? :)

Fair enough.... I agree my original post wasn't perfectly clear.

By the way, although I mentioned Lucky in my post, any current Gold Member can refer somebody. The new member receives the 25,000 points, and the referring member receives the 10,000... Seems like a good deal to me.

Now, back on topic :) - If AMEX offers me a retention bonus when I call to cancel my plat card, I will post it here!

And, back off topic: What is the difference between Membership Rewards points if you are a Plat or a Gold cardholder? I understand there is some advantage to using your points in some cases as a Plat vs. a Gold. Is there an existing thread that reviews this difference? Thanks for any info.

booyaa Feb 9, 2012 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by LarkSFO (Post 17985862)
Fair enough.... I agree my original post wasn't perfectly clear.

By the way, although I mentioned Lucky in my post, any current Gold Member can refer somebody. The new member receives the 25,000 points, and the referring member receives the 10,000... Seems like a good deal to me.

Now, back on topic :) - If AMEX offers me a retention bonus when I call to cancel my plat card, I will post it here!

And, back off topic: What is the difference between Membership Rewards points if you are a Plat or a Gold cardholder? I understand there is some advantage to using your points in some cases as a Plat vs. a Gold. Is there an existing thread that reviews this difference? Thanks for any info.

Check out this post by The Points Guy. Plat cardholders are automatically enrolled in the Membership Rewards FIRST program.

On topic: Would like to see more data points on retention offers for the Premier Rewards Gold card?

Ancien Maestro Feb 9, 2012 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by duke2013 (Post 17984060)
If I downgrade my platinum to gold or some other card, will I still qualify for the sign up bonus for the downgraded card? Or will this only work if I cancel my platinum and re-sign up for a different card?

Amex is good with this.. If you apply for a new card, at least in Canada, they don't do a credit check, just going with your history with the Amex cards that you hold. Once you get approved, just cancel your higher end Amex.

You get all of the miles and bonus inclusions, as if you were a new customer..

In essence you're downgrading, but not in the traditional sense.

Akazeus Feb 9, 2012 8:04 pm

Got bonus!!

After reading this thread, decided to give it a try...Just got off the phone with AMEX. Called MR and asked for the Retention Department. I was transferred to it and a very enthusiastic CSR^ answered the phone. After informing him that I have two AMEX cards, Gold and Skymiles, politely asked him if there's anything he can do to lessen the pain of the upcoming Membership fee.
After some song and dance, i.e. Mr Zeus we appreciate you been with us for so long and your responsible use of the cards but your MR points can more than pay for the fee. That's when I went in for the kill and said: Thanks for the compliments but I'm not looking for a monetary award. I'm looking for some points. He enthusiastically offered me 7500 points plus double points for every purchase for the next 90 days and point and a half after that for a year.
Accepted. Just a call got me 7500.:D:D:D

Thanks FTrs
Zeus

PS. Given the attitude of the CSR when AMEX contacts me for feedback I lay the cudos on thick.

Ancien Maestro Feb 9, 2012 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Akazeus (Post 17986387)
After reading this thread, decided to give it a try...Just got off the phone with AMEX. Called MR and asked for the Retention Department. I was transferred to it and a very enthusiastic CSR^ answered the phone. After informing him that I have two AMEX cards, Gold and Skymiles, politely asked him if there's anything he can do to lessen the pain of the upcoming Membership fee.
After some song and dance, i.e. Mr Zeus we appreciate you been with us for so long and your responsible use of the cards but your MR points can more than pay for the fee. That's when I went in for the kill and said: Thanks for the compliments but I'm not looking for a monetary award. I'm looking for some points. He enthusiastically offered me 7500 points plus double points for every purchase for the next 90 days and point and a half after that for a year.
Accepted. Just a call got me 7500.:D:D:D

Thanks FTrs
Zeus

PS. Given the attitude of the CSR when AMEX contacts me for feedback I lay the cudos on thick.

Nice.. was this the Amex Plat or the Gold?^

Akazeus Feb 9, 2012 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro (Post 17986523)
Nice.. was this the Amex Plat or the Gold?^

Lowly gold with little over 11g's spent on 2011

Zeus

Ancien Maestro Feb 9, 2012 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Akazeus (Post 17986542)
Lowly gold with little over 11g's spent on 2011

Zeus

That's awesome you've got double and 50% miles.. unheard of Canada.. in fact I don't think their systems could allow such an overide..:cool:

Akazeus Feb 9, 2012 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro (Post 17986552)
That's awesome you've got double and 50% miles.. unheard of Canada.. in fact I don't think their systems could allow such an overide..:cool:

Not sure how their system works as this was my first contact with Retention Dept. The 7500 points should post within 2 weeks. Will start counting my chickens then!!!

Ancien Maestro Feb 9, 2012 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Akazeus (Post 17986596)
Not sure how their system works as this was my first contact with Retention Dept. The 7500 points should post within 2 weeks. Will start counting my chickens then!!!

Beautiful.. maybe the Retention Dept was promising something and not delivering.. this double and 50% more miles is a score.. but seems pretty customized.. definitely follow up the point count on MyPoints section of the Amercian Express website to be sure that they are posting the bonus points as they said they were.

heramato Feb 9, 2012 11:00 pm

This is kind OT cause my AMEX PLAT is spanish. I called a few weeks ago to cancel because of 540 euro fee!!!! One day later they called me back and offered 54,000 MR points which I kindly accepted :D

Akazeus Feb 10, 2012 6:19 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro (Post 17986874)
Beautiful.. maybe the Retention Dept was promising something and not delivering.. this double and 50% more miles is a score.. but seems pretty customized.. definitely follow up the point count on MyPoints section of the Amercian Express website to be sure that they are posting the bonus points as they said they were.

Ancien Maestro,
This is what I found today in my account:
02/09/2012 Earned MCS Chg Retention xxxx MR pts 7,500
That's not even 24 hrs since I called.
Now I'm happy:D