FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   American Express retention offers [2008 - 2016] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1290571-american-express-retention-offers-2008-2016-a.html)

84fiero Jun 19, 2012 4:39 am

Originally Posted by DC777Fan (Post 18779045)
Might've kept that one to yourself... Out of curiosity how much spend do you run through your AX cards?

Yeah, without some context as to OP's spend and length of cardmembership, not sure how this is of benefit to anyone else.

Though I'm sure after being flooded with hundreds of requests now, AMEX won't be doing it again anytime soon:p

xp0 Jun 19, 2012 5:00 am

well after seeing this message last night I decided to send a secure message to Amex and ask for 10,000 points per year I have been with them (10 years). This morning I signed into an additional 100,000MR! Thanks OP!

chewylouie Jun 19, 2012 5:10 am

Originally Posted by DC777Fan (Post 18779045)
Might've kept that one to yourself... Out of curiosity how much spend do you run through your AX cards?

I charge about 10k to 20 k a month,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,hope that helps

jcmitchell21 Jun 19, 2012 7:23 am

Originally Posted by xp0 (Post 18781201)
well after seeing this message last night I decided to send a secure message to Amex and ask for 10,000 points per year I have been with them (10 years). This morning I signed into an additional 100,000MR! Thanks OP!

Thank you amex for the first class ticket!

gv111 Jun 19, 2012 10:05 am

Not so soon! April is long way to go :D ...

goetzphi Jun 25, 2012 9:49 am

Very loyal.... hahaha

After spending over 150k last year on Amex (renovated a house)... this was my response on some loyalty (LOL)....

"Thank you for emailing us.

I'd like to inform you that we are not authorized to issue goodwill bonus points or waive the Annual Membership Fee on the Cards.

With your Platinum Card, you receive several benefits as mentioned below:

- $200 Airline fee credit benefit
- Complimentary upgrade to Gold Starwood Preferred Status
- Automatic removal of foreign transaction fee
- Priority Pass Select
- Global Entry
- Double points on reservations via our Online Travel Website (www.americanexpress.com/travel)
- Bonus points on our Bonus Points Mall website purchases (www.bonuspointsmall.com)

In addition to this, you are also eligible to earn 5,000 bonus points by referring your Card to your friends, colleagues and family members. For each approved member, you receive 5,000 bonus points.

I hope you find this information useful.

Wish you a great day!"

greg47 Jun 26, 2012 9:05 pm

if i were you i would give them a call,,i did about 3 month ago and got 25,000 points
retention bonus with a $50,000 a year spend

lkar Jun 27, 2012 10:47 am

So, my annual fee is due on my Amex plat. I've never played the retention game, and have what's probably a silly question.

How do I start the conversation? I want to keep the card. If I call and threaten to cancel, might they just not call my bluff and say, "ok"? I just don't get how this all works. If I say, "I'm thinking about cancelling my card," won't they just say, "ok, let us know what you decide"?

Or is the answer just that I need to be prepared to have them call my bluff and cancel the card?

DVT Jun 27, 2012 6:34 pm

Christmas came early :)

Edwardvan Jun 28, 2012 8:03 am

If you are close to the spend, you can ask for an audit. This means a human actually looks at your spend and will give you your bonus points if you are close to the amount required. Only account retention can authorize an audit in my experience.

rtraveler Jun 28, 2012 9:58 am

I got a 25k point retention bonus for the Business Gold. I gotta pay the $125 fee though.

booyaa Jun 28, 2012 10:11 am

Originally Posted by rtraveler (Post 18836581)
I got a 25k point retention bonus for the Business Gold. I gotta pay the $125 fee though.

What was your spend may I ask? My annual fee is coming up soon in Aug. This was the old Business Gold gotten during last summer's 100k bonanza I assume?

rtraveler Jun 28, 2012 10:26 am

Originally Posted by booyaa (Post 18836648)
What was your spend may I ask? My annual fee is coming up soon in Aug. This was the old Business Gold gotten during last summer's 100k bonanza I assume?

That's the thing, I don't use it. I got the card two years ago for the 50k bonus.

In the last year, I only spent $500 on it total since I mainly use the SPG Amex. But the customer service rep said that I had been an AMEX customer since 2004. I also know that my average FICO score is about 800, so that probably helps too.

booyaa Jun 28, 2012 10:29 am

Originally Posted by rtraveler (Post 18836731)
That's the thing, I don't use it. I got the card two years ago for the 50k bonus.

In the last year, I only spent $500 on it total since I mainly use the SPG Amex. But the customer service rep said that I had been an AMEX customer since 2004. I also know that my average FICO score is about 800, so that probably helps too.

Thanks for the info. I will try my luck then. I barely use mine either. I'm a member since 2007. The fact that you paid the annual fee last year probably helped?

rtraveler Jun 28, 2012 11:27 am

Originally Posted by booyaa (Post 18836748)
Thanks for the info. I will try my luck then. I barely use mine either. I'm a member since 2007. The fact that you paid the annual fee last year probably helped?

They waived the annual fee last year. When I asked her to waive it again, she said it was a one-time loyalty thing. She couldn't waive the fee this year so she offerred the points instead.

This will be my first year paying the fee.