FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   American Express retention offers [2008 - 2016] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1290571-american-express-retention-offers-2008-2016-a.html)

agent0068 Jan 2, 2014 11:36 am

data point:
got in on the 100k personal platinum frenzy about a year ago, put about 10k on the card in a year and used all of the benfits (ge fee, airline fee, lounges, etc)

was offered $100 credit towards us/aa for costs incurred 3/22 through end of 2014 (functions like the airline incidental credit) and a choice of either $100 or 15k points. took the $100 us/aa + the 15k points

Upgraded! Jan 2, 2014 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by airplane7 (Post 22068239)
Exactly my point. I dont know why someone would pick 450$ over 50K points. Worst case scenario would get you at least 500$ through a broker. I just logged into my account and 50K points already posted ....

Because some of us would probably rather not have to deal with that. I guess it's a question of what you're willing to pay for absolute certainty. Were I in that position, I'd be willing to give up something for the absolute certainty of having $450 in cash to put towards my annual fee.

lingzhou Jan 2, 2014 3:12 pm

platinum seems getting least amount of retention offers but being charged highest amount of annual fee

crazyhorse Jan 2, 2014 3:30 pm

Called for wife's Plat when AF hit. Rep asked why I was looking to cancel. Told him that corporate travel was almost non-existent and that I was already paying a $90 fee to earn MR points on the Corp Card. Also mentioned that since AA/US lounge access was going away, I didnt find the card to be that helpful.

He asked that I give the card another year and offered to waive the AF of $450. I accepted and credit posted in 3-4 days.

I considered asking if a points offer was available but since we currently have approx 250K in my account and 115K in my wife's and hadnt really been able to redeem for anything (too much going on at work) decided to just stay put with the $450 credit.

Jesperss Jan 2, 2014 4:01 pm

Gold 10K MR + 7500 for a 1500 spend (60 days)

30k spend last year on the card, fee coming up in a month

lobo411 Jan 2, 2014 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by airplane7 (Post 22068239)
Exactly my point. I dont know why someone would pick 450$ over 50K points. Worst case scenario would get you at least 500$ through a broker. I just logged into my account and 50K points already posted ....

Isn't the worst case scenario getting caught selling points? :p

mia Jan 2, 2014 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by lobo411 (Post 22070833)

Ample discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...hey-legit.html

Bear in mind that it isn't possible to sell Membership Rewards points without leaving an unambiguous audit trail. There is no mechanism for transferring MR points to someone else's MR account, you will be asked to transfer to an airline account in someone else's name or to redeem a ticket from your own airline account in someone else's name.

airplane7 Jan 2, 2014 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by lobo411 (Post 22070833)

Completely Agree ;)
I have done it couple of times before but this time these points are going into my Hawaii trip :)

SquarePeg Jan 2, 2014 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by crazyhorse (Post 22070558)
Called for wife's Plat when AF hit. Rep asked why I was looking to cancel. Told him that corporate travel was almost non-existent and that I was already paying a $90 fee to earn MR points on the Corp Card. Also mentioned that since AA/US lounge access was going away, I didnt find the card to be that helpful.

He asked that I give the card another year and offered to waive the AF of $450. I accepted and credit posted in 3-4 days.

I considered asking if a points offer was available but since we currently have approx 250K in my account and 115K in my wife's and hadnt really been able to redeem for anything (too much going on at work) decided to just stay put with the $450 credit.

How long has she held the card? What was her spend last year? Any previous retention bonuses?

Thanks!

nall Jan 2, 2014 10:55 pm

Is the retentions office (US) open 24 hours, or will they only make offers during the day?

ankomonkey Jan 3, 2014 9:23 am

UK Preferred Gold-7.5k MR upon renewal if I reach a certain spend this membershipyear

My first year of Amex Gold ends in April. Already my account shows an offer of 7.5k MR points if I spend another £2000 by that time and renew. It also says it will take upto 60 days after renewal (not the time I reach the additional £2k spend) for the bonus points to post.

Has anyone else received this? For those who've received similar offers how long after renewal has it taken for the points to post?

My plan would be to complete the 2k spend before renewal, renew, then cancel as soon as the bonus points post and I've emptied the MR account to get a pro-rata refund of the £125 annual fee.

parklife Jan 3, 2014 10:05 am

Originally Posted by ankomonkey (Post 22075475)
My first year of Amex Gold ends in April. Already my account shows an offer of 7.5k MR points if I spend another £2000 by that time and renew. It also says it will take upto 60 days after renewal (not the time I reach the additional £2k spend) for the bonus points to post.

Has anyone else received this? For those who've received similar offers how long after renewal has it taken for the points to post?

My plan would be to complete the 2k spend before renewal, renew, then cancel as soon as the bonus points post and I've emptied the MR account to get a pro-rata refund of the £125 annual fee.

I'd guess that is a standard offering. I have had my Gold card for about 2 months and can see the below on my account.

7,500 Membership Rewards points will be awarded to your account when you spend £15,000 or more on purchases by your Card anniversary date. The bonus points will be credited to your account within 60 days of your Card renewal.

I don't see any issue hitting the 15k so was planning on taking the 7500 bonus points and then cancelling as soon as I had emptied my account. Perhaps when you call to cancel you may get an incentive offered?

PointsCentric Jan 4, 2014 11:15 am

Platinum + Business Gold Offers

I have a personal Platinum and Business Gold card with annual fees due in Jan 2014 for Platinum and Dec 2013 for Business Gold.

I made two separate calls with the first for Business gold about 2 weeks ago. Almost no spend outside of required $5k to hit 75k offer received and received an offer for $75 credit or 7500 MR points. Couldn't get a higher offer and knowing I still had Platinum to come, I declined and cancelled the card.

For Platinum, I got in on 100k offer Jan 2013 and put $14k on card in 2013. Called today and was offered 15000 MR and $100 credit for AA/US after 3/22. Interestingly when I got the email from AMEX informing me of lounge closures there was no mention of any credit. The rep I spoke to today said she could add it to my account if I didn't cancel the card. I tried for anything higher but agent refused. I ended up taking the 15k MR and $100 credit for AA (which I'll use on gift card).

Heels05 Jan 4, 2014 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by PointsCentric (Post 22082754)
I have a personal Platinum and Business Gold card with annual fees due in Jan 2014 for Platinum and Dec 2013 for Business Gold.

I made two separate calls with the first for Business gold about 2 weeks ago. Almost no spend outside of required $5k to hit 75k offer received and received an offer for $75 credit or 7500 MR points. Couldn't get a higher offer and knowing I still had Platinum to come, I declined and cancelled the card.

For Platinum, I got in on 100k offer Jan 2013 and put $14k on card in 2013. Called today and was offered 15000 MR and $100 credit for AA/US after 3/22. Interestingly when I got the email from AMEX informing me of lounge closures there was no mention of any credit. The rep I spoke to today said she could add it to my account if I didn't cancel the card. I tried for anything higher but agent refused. I ended up taking the 15k MR and $100 credit for AA (which I'll use on gift card).

Do you currently utilize any lounges with the card? If AA or US I wouldn't think that offer would be enough to keep the card another year.

Mindray Jan 4, 2014 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by PointsCentric (Post 22082754)

I am going to call this week to ask about a retention offer. When the e-mail about the lounge closure went out, I was offered an additional $200 credit to spend on AA/USAirways, most likely because I used the AA lounge about 20 times this year. The $200 extra credit with the $200 airline credit we already get means it's basically a wash for me to keep the card this year. And last year I used the lost item protection benefit which saved me $1600. I only fly AA, so not being able to access the lounge is a huge loss for me, and the $400 in airline credits I will have this year does not even cover an AA lounge membership. So I am hoping they will give me something else this year. I put about $16K in spend on the card.