Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Business Extra ("ExtrAA") Program (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Business Extra® Program (master thread)

Historical Notes
  • October 5th, 2021: New award types introduced: BXL1 for Platinum status and BXP0 to convert Business Extra points to AA miles at a 1:6 rate. New requirement introduced to redeem: Starting January 1, 2023, current members will be required to have three unique travelers and maintain $5,000 in qualifying Business Extra flight activity during the previous 12-month period to redeem points.This policy will go into effect immediately for new members who join the program on October 4, 2021 or later.
  • Feb 2018 - BXP1, BXP2, BXP3 Upgrade Certificates can be redeemed electronically, without the need to redeem or submit paper certificates. [URL="https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29470237-post1150.html"[/url]
  • Dec 2015 - Unannounced more-restrictive changes to BXP upgrade certificates implemented. [URL="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/898180-business-extra-program-master-thread-consolidated.html#post25942133"[/url]
  • Nov 2015 - Europe AA Business Extra closed and migrated to AA-BA-IB On Business [URL="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-combined-airline-program/1715008-aa-ba-ib-europe-business-programme-nov-30-2015-ex-business-extra-europe.html"[/url]
  • Oct 2014 - Business Extra Awards may be redeemed for flights on US Airways
  • Sep 2013 - Business ExtrAA brand changed to simply Business Extra
  • Sep 2012 - Upgrade Awards are no longer restricted to use within 30 days of travel [url=http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19345217-post394.html[/url]

Key Information
  • Promotion Codes - For a current list of Business ExtrAA promotions, see: Business ExtrAA Bonus Offers (consolidated)

• Point Expiration - Business Extra points expire on a rolling basis, two years after the year in which they are earned, on December 31 at midnight U.S. Central Time. Their validity can not be extended.

• Award Redemption - All awards must be redeemed via the Business Extra website. Flight Awards are delivered electronically via email with an Electronic Authorization Number. Upgrade Awards and Admirals Club Day Passes are delivered in paper certificate form via regular mail. Redemption sweeps occur twice per week and expedited delivery is available if you provide your FedEx/UPS account number via email. Gold Status and Admirals Club Membership awards are processed and active in the member's account after approximately one week, with other membership materials delivered in the mail within 4 weeks.

Note: BE awards must be booked on nonstop flights if they are available between your origin and destination.

• Award Inventory Codes - Per Meeting Services, Business Extra Awards book into the following inventory (although there are conflicting reports from mvoight and InsipidMonkey on whether or not this information is accurate for PlanAAhead Awards, for which availability may be significantly less than MileSAAver Award and/or T inventory availability):Award Type Books Into
    PlanAAhead - Economy T
    PlanAAhead - Business* U
    PlanAAhead - First† Z

AAnytime - Economy Y
    AAnytime - Business* J
    AAnytime - First† F

Upgrade to Business* C
    Upgrade to First† A

* = First class cabin on 2-class flights
    † = First class cabin on 3-class flights

• Flight Award Reservations - Award Tickets must be booked through AA Meeting Services at 1-800-433-1790 (U.S. and Canada; others contact your local reservations office), and you will need to provide the Reservations Agent with the Electronic Authorization Number from your award certificate. As of Oct 2012, flight awards can be booked without a telephone booking service charge.

• Flight Award Expiration - As published on the Business Extra website, Award Tickets must be booked within one year of redeeming the certificate, and are then valid for one year from booking:

Award ticket must be issued by midnight one year from the original award redemption date. Tickets issued against Business Extra flight awards are then valid for one year from the ticket issue date.
  • Upgrade Award Reservations - Upgrade Awards may be applied once a reservation is Ticketed by calling AA Meeting Services or using the Business Extra website. Once requested online you will receive an email with a confirmation number and serial numbers for each upgrade certificate requested.

Upgrade Awards carry fare restrictions (excludes B, N, O, Q or S fares). Take careful note of your fare when making a reservation. It is possible to "Upfare" a reservation from the lowest available fare to an BXP-upgrade-eligible fare by placing it on Hold at AA.com, calling AA to request the desired higher fare basis code, then completing the purchase online.

You can specify ITA searches that exclude the ineligible fares as follows:jfk:: aa /f ~bc = b & ~bc = n & ~bc = o & ~bc = q & ~bc = s

(Or you can place everything after the slash directly in the second advanced control box.)

These filters can also be concatenated with other commands, such as maximum duration, separated with a semicolon:jfk:: aa /maxdur 800 ; f ~bc = b & ~bc = n & ~bc = o & ~bc = q & ~bc = s

• Upgrade Award Expiration - Electronic BXP Upgrade Awards are valid for 1 year from redemption. Previously, paper Upgrade Awards were valid thru Jun 30 or Dec 31 of the following year, with the exact date depending on the batch of certificates available at the time of redemption.

• Returning Unused Awards - Points redeemed for awards but not yet applied to a ticket can be returned for no charge by using the 'returns' option in your account options. Points will be reinstated with an expiration date 2 calendar years from reinstatement (i.e., expiring on December 31 two calendar years from reinstatement). For awards already applied to a ticket, you must call Business ExtrAA customer services at 800-457-7072, or email [email protected]. Customers outside the US should use the email.
  • Business Extra Account Credit - A Business Extra number can be added to an existing reservation (for example, booked by a third-party travel agent) by calling AA Meeting Services.

A Business Extra number can be added to an existing BA reservation as follows:
    1. Go to www.britishairways.com
    2. Select 'Manage My Booking' tab
    3. Follow the instructions to pull up your reservation
    4. Select the link towards bottom listed under 'Quick Links' 'Add On Business or Business Extra number'
    5. Add your Business Extra number and check the box to give your consent.

Retroactive credit for completed travel can be requested via the Business Extra website.

• Contact Business Extra

Web home page: https://www.businessextra.com

Booking and Ticketing (Meeting Services desk)
    www.aa.com
    1-800-433-1790 5:00 a.m. - 12:00 midnight (CT) 7 days a week

Business Extra Customer Service
    1-800-457-7072 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (CT) Monday - Friday
    Fax: 1-817-931-9029
    E-mail: [email protected]

Link to aa.com BE contact web form
    http://www.aa.com/contactAA/viewEmai...businessExtrAA

Link to BE web contact form

Note: older posts have been archived to ARCHIVE: Business Extra Program master thread (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Business Extra ("ExtrAA") Program (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
I think it's time for another promotion of some kind
platbrownguy and miadukes like this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
First time I've tried to use a BXP1 and have a question: I got the e-cert and called to have it applied, I knew from EF there was no C space (despite 0 seats reserved and 7s across the board on all faire classes....) - agent was super nice, I ended up having to pony up an extra $29 to move out of S bucket, I know now to check that before hand, but after all was re-ticketed and waitlisted I check on AA.com and under upgrades for the flight it still shows "Type : Complimentary, Requested"...I know for SWUs that changes to System Wide. Is it supposed to change for BXP1s as well? If so does it take time to show on aa.com and I just need to wait or should I call back?
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by flyupfront
I'm curious if there's ever been an immediate change in the Business Extra redemption chart? Meaning, more BE points were required for an award without advanced warning? I ask because I'm holding points for a trip in 2020 or 2021 but don't want a surprise in points needed for my trip.
By coincidence I was going through some old papers and found a 2008 redemption chart for BE and didn't notice any change in the basic North American award levels.for flights and upgrades, but past performance does not guarantee future results....could mean we're in for increases, though I hope you'll be okay, as I don't plan to use my company account points until 2020/21 too.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by ryan182
First time I've tried to use a BXP1 and have a question: I got the e-cert and called to have it applied, I knew from EF there was no C space (despite 0 seats reserved and 7s across the board on all faire classes....) - agent was super nice, I ended up having to pony up an extra $29 to move out of S bucket, I know now to check that before hand, but after all was re-ticketed and waitlisted I check on AA.com and under upgrades for the flight it still shows "Type : Complimentary, Requested"...I know for SWUs that changes to System Wide. Is it supposed to change for BXP1s as well? If so does it take time to show on aa.com and I just need to wait or should I call back?
IME it definitely doesn't change to show "BE Upgrade Requested" or anything like that. If yours shows complimentary upgrade requested I'd probably call meeting services back and make sure you're waitlisted correctly. I typically deal with the meeting services folks 3 or 4 times a year for BE upgrades and awards, and l rarely get off the phone having a high confidence level that things are set up correctly.

I mentioned it just up thread, but IME the meeting services reps are no different than your normal run of the mill AA phone reps, some are ok but many are not well trained to borderline clueless.
econometrics likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
if you learned anything from this thread, it should be "never waitlist a BXP1" -- even the good agents might not be able to push it through when C becomes available, whereas if you set an EF alert and simply call to apply the BXP1 once C is available, at least the good agents can clear it.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
If you wait list a BXP1 is it possible to un- waitlist it?
Old Feb 3, 2019, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by chicago747
If you wait list a BXP1 is it possible to un- waitlist it?
You can un-waitlist any type of AA upgrade.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:36 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Is there a set date for when the previous month's Business Extraa points should post?

I have a few BA flights from early Jan that I'm waiting on before I can trigger an award, but still no sign of AA processing Jan points. Even when they do process the month of Jan, I'm expecting that I'll have to submit a claim since BA flights rarely ever post automatically for me (which then usually takes an extra few weeks on top).
Old Feb 3, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
if you learned anything from this thread, it should be "never waitlist a BXP1" -- even the good agents might not be able to push it through when C becomes available, whereas if you set an EF alert and simply call to apply the BXP1 once C is available, at least the good agents can clear it.
Agree with this, but in my experience, if you're set on making the upgrade, manually checking for C availability (even on expert flyer) is a better option than waiting for their alert to come.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by absoluy
Is there a set date for when the previous month's Business Extraa points should post?

I have a few BA flights from early Jan that I'm waiting on before I can trigger an award, but still no sign of AA processing Jan points. Even when they do process the month of Jan, I'm expecting that I'll have to submit a claim since BA flights rarely ever post automatically for me (which then usually takes an extra few weeks on top).
No set date but I'd expect no earlier than the 12th and no later than the 20th and likely either Friday 2/15 or Tuesday 2/19.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Sorry to belabor what may be obvious, but I'm not sure how electronic certs change things.

I have 850 points expiring at the end of the year. I rarely see BXP1 space confirmable in advance these days. If nothing shows up, can I request a BXP1 before year end, which will give me another year to use it? And if I cancel it afterwards, I will get points back in my account with the same expiration date as the BXP1 I'm cancelling?

And if I cancel while I'm still Ex Plat (which I won't be after Feb 2020), then no fees are involved?

I like using them for J to F LAX-JFK (which is usually confirmable) but I happen to be holding J saver awards for the dates I want to fly, and the difference between J&F isn't so big that it seems worthwhile for the two of us to cancel award tickets and use BXP1s to get into F when saver J awards on that route seem to have become extinct. So even though there is a great fare the day I want to fly ($559 one way in J), if I don't need the EQD because I won't requalify anyway, then it seems silly to give up the J saver seats.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Thanks, confirms my concern...I'll set an EF alert and call in to un-waitlist/re-apply should I get an alert and know better for next time!! Frustrating part is I booked Mint for the outbound but figured I'd take AA for the return to grab some EQMs as the Mint ticket was $400ish and AA was >$700 for J but $180 for Y and with a completely empty J cabin figured I'd likely clear using BXP as I need EQMs more than EQDs this year. If I had a do-over I would have just booked Mint both directions :/
Old Feb 3, 2019, 10:25 pm

Thanks, confirms my concern...I'll set an EF alert and call in to un-waitlist/re-apply should I get an alert and know better for next time!! Frustrating part is I booked Mint for the outbound but figured I'd take AA for the return to grab some EQMs as the Mint ticket was $400ish and AA was >$700 for J but $180 for Y and with a completely empty J cabin figured I'd likely clear using BXP as I need EQMs more than EQDs this year. If I had a do-over I would have just booked Mint both directions :/
Actually your strategy isn't a bad one -- maybe the waitlist will clear automatically. If it doesn't & there's C space, call to try to push it through (probably won't work but who knows) and if it doesn't work then get that very same agent to un-waitlist you. Then call back to clear it using a different agent, hanging up and calling back again if need be.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
1. the $659 business fares are still out there, just primarily at odd times or weekends ($559 has been Saturdays only for a while), and always only on advance purchase. Google Flights is useful for finding them. Keep in mind that you can use same-day flight change to get on another flight in the same fare bucket (for business class) and then use a BXP1 to get to F. unfortunately the $859 fares are generally gone -- if the $659 is unavailable then it seems to be $1100-1300 or higher.

2. I'd say C might pop up more in the 36-48 hour range. EF is pretty reliable at this.

3. You mention calling both AA and Meeting Services. You'd only have to do this if you need to upfare to get out of B/N/O/Q/S (call AA to avoid the $200 change fee, which technically they could still charge you but in my and others' experience they don't) and then call Meeting Services to apply the BXP1. If your ticket is already in an eligible fare class (i.e. not B/N/O/Q/S) then you'd only need to make one phone call, to Meeting Services. Note their limited hours and there's nothing you can do if C goes away when they're closed.

4. I don't see the benefit to splitting the PNR in advance and I wouldn't necessarily waitlist the BXP1. People have all kinds of trouble (read upthread) getting Meeting Services to clear them. I'd rather wait until C is available and then call to apply the BXP1, and if only one is available, split it then.
Very helpful.

I have a question about the order of SDFC and BXP1. If I use a BXP1 to go from J-F, what is the impact on SDFC? Does it make it harder? If I'm willing to SDFC into J, will I get the BXP1 back? Or should I just hold off on the BXP1 until after SDFC (if still available).

I have a $559 OW LAX-JFK in J, but it departs at 3:15 pm and I'd love to arrive in time for a night on the town.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
Very helpful.

I have a question about the order of SDFC and BXP1. If I use a BXP1 to go from J-F, what is the impact on SDFC? Does it make it harder? If I'm willing to SDFC into J, will I get the BXP1 back? Or should I just hold off on the BXP1 until after SDFC (if still available).

I have a $559 OW LAX-JFK in J, but it departs at 3:15 pm and I'd love to arrive in time for a night on the town.
In my experience, once Meeting Services applies the BXP1, it's nearly impossible to get anyone else to touch the ticket (really bad IRROPS has been my only exception to that). So personally I'd strongly recommend doing SDFC first and then calling in the BXP1. Unless it looks like your flight is selling out up front, I wouldn't worry about finding A inventory... they seem to be pretty good about keeping it available.

All that said, I don't think I've ever tried doing an A to A SDFC where I'm in A because of a BXP1. So maybe give it a shot and see what happens?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.