Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Business Extra ("ExtrAA") Program (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Business Extra® Program (master thread)

Historical Notes
  • October 5th, 2021: New award types introduced: BXL1 for Platinum status and BXP0 to convert Business Extra points to AA miles at a 1:6 rate. New requirement introduced to redeem: Starting January 1, 2023, current members will be required to have three unique travelers and maintain $5,000 in qualifying Business Extra flight activity during the previous 12-month period to redeem points.This policy will go into effect immediately for new members who join the program on October 4, 2021 or later.
  • Feb 2018 - BXP1, BXP2, BXP3 Upgrade Certificates can be redeemed electronically, without the need to redeem or submit paper certificates. [URL="https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29470237-post1150.html"[/url]
  • Dec 2015 - Unannounced more-restrictive changes to BXP upgrade certificates implemented. [URL="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/898180-business-extra-program-master-thread-consolidated.html#post25942133"[/url]
  • Nov 2015 - Europe AA Business Extra closed and migrated to AA-BA-IB On Business [URL="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-combined-airline-program/1715008-aa-ba-ib-europe-business-programme-nov-30-2015-ex-business-extra-europe.html"[/url]
  • Oct 2014 - Business Extra Awards may be redeemed for flights on US Airways
  • Sep 2013 - Business ExtrAA brand changed to simply Business Extra
  • Sep 2012 - Upgrade Awards are no longer restricted to use within 30 days of travel [url=http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19345217-post394.html[/url]

Key Information
  • Promotion Codes - For a current list of Business ExtrAA promotions, see: Business ExtrAA Bonus Offers (consolidated)

• Point Expiration - Business Extra points expire on a rolling basis, two years after the year in which they are earned, on December 31 at midnight U.S. Central Time. Their validity can not be extended.

• Award Redemption - All awards must be redeemed via the Business Extra website. Flight Awards are delivered electronically via email with an Electronic Authorization Number. Upgrade Awards and Admirals Club Day Passes are delivered in paper certificate form via regular mail. Redemption sweeps occur twice per week and expedited delivery is available if you provide your FedEx/UPS account number via email. Gold Status and Admirals Club Membership awards are processed and active in the member's account after approximately one week, with other membership materials delivered in the mail within 4 weeks.

Note: BE awards must be booked on nonstop flights if they are available between your origin and destination.

• Award Inventory Codes - Per Meeting Services, Business Extra Awards book into the following inventory (although there are conflicting reports from mvoight and InsipidMonkey on whether or not this information is accurate for PlanAAhead Awards, for which availability may be significantly less than MileSAAver Award and/or T inventory availability):Award Type Books Into
    PlanAAhead - Economy T
    PlanAAhead - Business* U
    PlanAAhead - First† Z

AAnytime - Economy Y
    AAnytime - Business* J
    AAnytime - First† F

Upgrade to Business* C
    Upgrade to First† A

* = First class cabin on 2-class flights
    † = First class cabin on 3-class flights

• Flight Award Reservations - Award Tickets must be booked through AA Meeting Services at 1-800-433-1790 (U.S. and Canada; others contact your local reservations office), and you will need to provide the Reservations Agent with the Electronic Authorization Number from your award certificate. As of Oct 2012, flight awards can be booked without a telephone booking service charge.

• Flight Award Expiration - As published on the Business Extra website, Award Tickets must be booked within one year of redeeming the certificate, and are then valid for one year from booking:

Award ticket must be issued by midnight one year from the original award redemption date. Tickets issued against Business Extra flight awards are then valid for one year from the ticket issue date.
  • Upgrade Award Reservations - Upgrade Awards may be applied once a reservation is Ticketed by calling AA Meeting Services or using the Business Extra website. Once requested online you will receive an email with a confirmation number and serial numbers for each upgrade certificate requested.

Upgrade Awards carry fare restrictions (excludes B, N, O, Q or S fares). Take careful note of your fare when making a reservation. It is possible to "Upfare" a reservation from the lowest available fare to an BXP-upgrade-eligible fare by placing it on Hold at AA.com, calling AA to request the desired higher fare basis code, then completing the purchase online.

You can specify ITA searches that exclude the ineligible fares as follows:jfk:: aa /f ~bc = b & ~bc = n & ~bc = o & ~bc = q & ~bc = s

(Or you can place everything after the slash directly in the second advanced control box.)

These filters can also be concatenated with other commands, such as maximum duration, separated with a semicolon:jfk:: aa /maxdur 800 ; f ~bc = b & ~bc = n & ~bc = o & ~bc = q & ~bc = s

• Upgrade Award Expiration - Electronic BXP Upgrade Awards are valid for 1 year from redemption. Previously, paper Upgrade Awards were valid thru Jun 30 or Dec 31 of the following year, with the exact date depending on the batch of certificates available at the time of redemption.

• Returning Unused Awards - Points redeemed for awards but not yet applied to a ticket can be returned for no charge by using the 'returns' option in your account options. Points will be reinstated with an expiration date 2 calendar years from reinstatement (i.e., expiring on December 31 two calendar years from reinstatement). For awards already applied to a ticket, you must call Business ExtrAA customer services at 800-457-7072, or email [email protected]. Customers outside the US should use the email.
  • Business Extra Account Credit - A Business Extra number can be added to an existing reservation (for example, booked by a third-party travel agent) by calling AA Meeting Services.

A Business Extra number can be added to an existing BA reservation as follows:
    1. Go to www.britishairways.com
    2. Select 'Manage My Booking' tab
    3. Follow the instructions to pull up your reservation
    4. Select the link towards bottom listed under 'Quick Links' 'Add On Business or Business Extra number'
    5. Add your Business Extra number and check the box to give your consent.

Retroactive credit for completed travel can be requested via the Business Extra website.

• Contact Business Extra

Web home page: https://www.businessextra.com

Booking and Ticketing (Meeting Services desk)
    www.aa.com
    1-800-433-1790 5:00 a.m. - 12:00 midnight (CT) 7 days a week

Business Extra Customer Service
    1-800-457-7072 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (CT) Monday - Friday
    Fax: 1-817-931-9029
    E-mail: [email protected]

Link to aa.com BE contact web form
    http://www.aa.com/contactAA/viewEmai...businessExtrAA

Link to BE web contact form

Note: older posts have been archived to ARCHIVE: Business Extra Program master thread (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Business Extra ("ExtrAA") Program (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2018, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543
Can you waitlist a BXP3 upgrade just like you would a SWU or miles + copay? What's the process and if it doesn't clear, can you redeposit the points?
Yep the process is no different than waitlisting for a SWU or miles/copay upgrade except you just have to call the Meeting Services line to get on the waitlist.

If it doesn't clear you can cancel the award and redeposit the points, but you have to pay the fee. Otherwise just hang on to it and use it for another flight in the future (before it expires).
Old Nov 17, 2018, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yep the process is no different than waitlisting for a SWU or miles/copay upgrade except you just have to call the Meeting Services line to get on the waitlist.

If it doesn't clear you can cancel the award and redeposit the points, but you have to pay the fee. Otherwise just hang on to it and use it for another flight in the future (before it expires).
Thanks!
Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:32 am

Has anyone successfully used a BX9B? (PlanAhead Business Class Award - Between North America & South Pacific)

They have to be used on American metal, and (I believe) pull from MileSAAver awards 'U' bucket.

As far as I'm aware, American only has two flights to/from the South Pacific -- LAX-SYD and LAX-AKL (seasonal). Both of these flight have no U availability at any point in the next year. Does this effectively make the BX9B unusable?
Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by montrealchris
Has anyone successfully used a BX9B? (PlanAhead Business Class Award - Between North America & South Pacific)

They have to be used on American metal, and (I believe) pull from MileSAAver awards 'U' bucket.

As far as I'm aware, American only has two flights to/from the South Pacific -- LAX-SYD and LAX-AKL (seasonal). Both of these flight have no U availability at any point in the next year. Does this effectively make the BX9B unusable?
Pretty much, just like any other upgrade or award these days. I'm on aflight next Sunday & out of the 2 flights, exactly 1 seat up front is taken. Most MCE seats are open & all but 1 exit row seat are open on both planes. And yet I can't use BXP1's or SWU's for the flight.

And Discount Dougie can't understand why there is a 'premium revenue' problem.

Like I've told all the AA reps who have called me this year feigning concern about my 'travel being down for the year'-they don't give me any reason TO fly AA but are giving me plenty of reasons not to.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry

Not a BX9B but I just redeemed a BX6B for a TATL RT - Experflyer well worth it - makes it easy to search for inventory.

Last edited by JMN57; Nov 18, 2018 at 2:31 pm
Old Nov 18, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
We just redeemed a bxp3 for a J to F upgrade from LAX to HKG.. may not be the best use, but points were expiring and then again so is first class it seems. At least the process is more automated and you dont need to print the cert and bring to the airport. It was reticketed and seats assigned while on the phone. We have a daughter flying in Y on the same flight, and no dice for an upgrade to J.. maybe us giving up the seats might help.. flight is in Feb ,so we shall see.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Originally Posted by worldiswide
We just redeemed a bxp3 for a J to F upgrade from LAX to HKG.. may not be the best use, but points were expiring and then again so is first class it seems. At least the process is more automated and you dont need to print the cert and bring to the airport. It was reticketed and seats assigned while on the phone. We have a daughter flying in Y on the same flight, and no dice for an upgrade to J.. maybe us giving up the seats might help.. flight is in Feb ,so we shall see.
persnally, I’d rather have to bring the certificates to the airport. Lass chance they will actually be collected
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Does anyone know of a way to earn Business Extra points via hotel stays besides Rocketmiles? I love the idea of earning BE points on hotels but I really dislike booking non-refundable hotel (my schedule is too fluid).

Although I am tempted to do so week after next. I'm meeting with two people of a company I'm on the board of @ DFW so there are three of us for 2 nights. If I booked all of the rooms myself, Rocketmiles would cough up 1860 BE points for the Hyatt DFW. That's 25% of a Planahead J TATL. Quite tempting.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976

persnally, I’d rather have to bring the certificates to the airport. Lass chance they will actually be collected
really? I'm not looking for something for nothing and it used to take a fair bit of time to process them.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 3:47 pm

Now that AA allows EXPs to upgrade (e500 comp upgrade) on domestic award tickets, does that same rule apply for EXPs flying on BX1A awards? Are EXPs eligible to upgrade when flying on BX1A awards? Would appreciate if anyone has any experience with this. Thanks!
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Ross0
Now that AA allows EXPs to upgrade (e500 comp upgrade) on domestic award tickets, does that same rule apply for EXPs flying on BX1A awards? Are EXPs eligible to upgrade when flying on BX1A awards? Would appreciate if anyone has any experience with this. Thanks!
Yes, it works the same.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Yes, it works the same.
Thanks. I figured, but the BE program has some special rules so wasn’t positive.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by worldiswide
really? I'm not looking for something for nothing and it used to take a fair bit of time to process them.

Back in the day when SWUs- then VIPs- were paper i lost count of how many i used but were not collected at check in. I never sought to exploit the situation, but on the other hand I don't work for AA.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:04 am

We can book Awards online now

Just found out I can book awards online now. Nice!! Check out business.aa.com.
milesforhire likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AVIS President's Club, Hilton Diamond
Why are all these other countries listed if AA does not market and operate flights

Question 1:
Why are all these other countries list if AA does not market and operate flights to them? When I click on the question mark at https://www.businessextra.com/viewAwards.htm# Between North America & South Pacific, it says "South Pacific is defined as American Samoa, Australia, Easter Island, Fiji, French Polynesia, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Republic of Kiribati, Republic of Tonga, Republic of Vanuatu, Samoa and Solomon Islands. Award travel is valid only on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle" but AA does not fly to any of those places except New Zealand and Australia, so why are these other countries listed? Makes no sense.

Question 2:
a) When I click on the question mark for "Between North America & Japan or China or South Korea" there is no definition of these countries, I guess it is implied? No mention of HKG to which AA markets and operates flights to HKG but there is no mention anywhere.
b) AA does not market and operate to, for example, New Caledonia but listed it in the question mark for South Pacific. To be consistent they should add in this question mark TPE,SIN,KUL,BKK,CGK,DPS,PEN,SGN,HAN, etc. OR they should delete New Caledonia, etc. (places they do NOT market and operate) from the South Pacific question mark.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.