Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2012, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
The current version of this thread can be found here:

FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade / SWU / eVIP / VIP? (Master thread)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2012, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by zski1
***I'm leaving my post up just in case anyone has this happen to them in the future, but about 30 minutes after checking in, I checked my reservation again and the entire trip is upgraded. I wonder if there was some glitch in the processing of the upgrades that caused the reservation details to disappear for at least 6 hours??***
This is normal behavior for the system.

Once the queue processing begins and your upgrade is confirmed, the details of your flights will disappear and as soon as the upgrade finishes processing the details will reappear.

So if you are wait-listed and see this happen it is a good thing as it means you've cleared, but it can take a few hours sometimes before the details appear again.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 9:05 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by Cerebral
I am taking the SFO-MIA red eye on Feb. 28th (arriving MIA March 1st). I applied a SWU for that flight, which was confirmed. I have 4 SWUs expiring on Feb. 28th, 2013 and all 8 that expire on Feb. 28th, 2014. Which lot will they pull from? I checked my balance after confirming the SWU and it has not changed for either bucket yet.

Note this language from the aa.com SWU FAQs:
Q: How long are my systemwide upgrades valid?
A: Upgrades that were earned based on your 2011 flight activity are valid through February 28, 2013. Upgrades earned based on your 2012 flight activity are valid through February 28, 2014. So, the earlier in the year that you qualify or requalify for Executive Platinum membership, the longer you will have to use your systemwide upgrades. All travel using a systemwide upgrade must be completed by the expiration date. Upgrades will expire at 12:00 midnight (CT) on the date shown.

Based on the last two sentances, they could pull it from my new SWUs since my travel is technically not complete until March 1st.

Any experience with this? I would hate to be using a new one, when I have plenty of SWUs that are valid through Feb. 28th, 2013.
By "completion" AA means when your flight originates, not when it arrives. However, if your flight is cancelled and you have to rebook for a March 1st or later departure, you might be in a sort of gray area and have a problem. In that case, you might have to ask AA for an exception to use your 2013 SWUs.

It's been my experience that AA always pulls the oldest SWUs first, so in a normal situation with a Feb.28th departure, I wouldn't worry that they will invalidate your 2013 SWUs and use 2014 ones instead.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 9:12 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Do SWUs waitlsited get removed from your aa.com SWU balance?
Old Dec 20, 2012, 9:15 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by sts603
Do SWUs waitlsited get removed from your aa.com SWU balance?
nope, they are deducted only when they are confirmed/cleared.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 9:19 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by billgrates3
nope, they are deducted only when they are confirmed/cleared.
Weird...
Old Dec 26, 2012, 3:12 am

Programs: AA exp, UA 1p, DL gold, HH diamond
SWU versus exp regular comp upgrade priority

I purchased PHL-MIA-SAL for me (EXP) and a companion (no status) in Y. At the time of purchase I asked to apply SWUs for the two of us (I know it’s a complimentary upgrade eligible route (is UDU the term?), but I have extra SWUs that will expire without use and I figured I’d save the few bucks on buying the stickers for my companion).

Fast forward to today, day of travel. It seemed that the upgrade on the MIA-SAL leg had cleared, but when I checked in at the airport they said that the SWUs did NOT clear, but the regular upgrade did. They refused to allow me to use the SWUs, and forced me to pay the $35/sticker fee for the 2 stickers I needed for my companion.

TL,DR: Applied for SWUs on a UDU eligible route – the UDU cleared ahead of the SWU.

SO my question is – am I in the right that an SWU should clear before a UDU? Can I call the exp desk and ask them to refund me the stickers and debit an SWU from my account? I know its only $70 bucks, but its annoying (and troubling on general basis) that my SWU is not clearing before a UDU.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Originally Posted by rdl27
I purchased PHL-MIA-SAL for me (EXP) and a companion (no status) in Y. At the time of purchase I asked to apply SWUs for the two of us (I know it’s a complimentary upgrade eligible route (is UDU the term?), but I have extra SWUs that will expire without use and I figured I’d save the few bucks on buying the stickers for my companion).

Fast forward to today, day of travel. It seemed that the upgrade on the MIA-SAL leg had cleared, but when I checked in at the airport they said that the SWUs did NOT clear, but the regular upgrade did. They refused to allow me to use the SWUs, and forced me to pay the $35/sticker fee for the 2 stickers I needed for my companion.

TL,DR: Applied for SWUs on a UDU eligible route – the UDU cleared ahead of the SWU.

SO my question is – am I in the right that an SWU should clear before a UDU? Can I call the exp desk and ask them to refund me the stickers and debit an SWU from my account? I know its only $70 bucks, but its annoying (and troubling on general basis) that my SWU is not clearing before a UDU.

I think you are correct, and it is worth a call.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Global Entry
rdl27, did you contact AA yet? I'd be curious how they answer this, as I'm trying to upgrade my parents using my SWUs on a comp EXP upgrade route (DFW-HNL). When I requested the upgrade I assumed they would go ahead of any EXP's not using their own system wides....
Old Dec 27, 2012, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
A question re: waitlist priority for a SWU (I have read all posts in this forum as well as the FAQ).

Am trying to gift 2 friends w/SWU's for an upcoming DTW-OKA trip (really, it's only the ORD-NRT flights that are upgradeable since NRT-OKA is on JAL). I am EXP & the SWU's are coming from my account but my friends have no status w/AA-where will they be on the SWU waitlist? Is it based on my status, since it is my account that is providing the SWU's, or their status?

Many thanks!
Old Dec 27, 2012, 6:28 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by txrus
A question re: waitlist priority for a SWU (I have read all posts in this forum as well as the FAQ).

Am trying to gift 2 friends w/SWU's for an upcoming DTW-OKA trip (really, it's only the ORD-NRT flights that are upgradeable since NRT-OKA is on JAL). I am EXP & the SWU's are coming from my account but my friends have no status w/AA-where will they be on the SWU waitlist? Is it based on my status, since it is my account that is providing the SWU's, or their status?

Many thanks!
Without status they will be at the bottom of the list along with all the other non-status folks. As such, when applying eVIPs to non-status folks, it is best to look for flights where you can get them confirmed at time of booking. Other than that, Tuesday, Wednesday or Saturday are elite lite days so aim for one of those -- or when speaking with the EXP desk, look for a flight that has the most empty seats in the premium cabin at time of booking.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 6:39 pm

Wait a minute. So if I am flying BRU-EZE on Feb 4 and confirmed back on Mar 5 I can still apply the 2012 EVIP to Mar 5?
Old Dec 27, 2012, 7:28 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by AAbruflyer
Wait a minute. So if I am flying BRU-EZE on Feb 4 and confirmed back on Mar 5 I can still apply the 2012 EVIP to Mar 5?
(I'm assuming by "2012 EVIP" you mean the ones that expire in Feb 2013?) In theory, no. Last year's batch of eVIPs expire on Feb 28, 2013. The published rules state:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/el...s/upgrades.jsp
Q: How long are my systemwide upgrades valid?
A: Upgrades that were earned based on your 2011 flight activity are valid through February 28, 2013. Upgrades earned based on your 2012 flight activity are valid through February 28, 2014. So, the earlier in the year that you qualify or requalify for Executive Platinum membership, the longer you will have to use your systemwide upgrades. All travel using a systemwide upgrade must be completed by the expiration date. Upgrades will expire at 12:00 midnight (CT) on the date shown.
(underlining mine)

In the past, it has always seemed that as long as you were an EXP that's re-qualified for the next year, you could apply an "old" eVIP to a flight past the end of Feb deadline. However, we have several reports up-thread and in other threads that AAgents are clamping down and not allowing Feb 2013 eVIPs to be used past the expiry date.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:47 pm

Programs: TK*GOLD, AA*EXP, DL*PM, AR*PL
Hey Guys,
I have 8 eVIP's that are going to expire on Feb 28th.
I live in Brazil, and I want to get the most out of them.
I was thinking to book the following itinerary: GRU > DFW > ORD > PEK and the return the same way, maybe with a stopover in Dallas.
The reason I'm routing it through Dallas is that I want to try the new 777-300ER business class from AA.
Since each one-way of my ticket has 3 segments and it is possible to clear it with just one eVIP, I was thinking to bring 3 family members with me, so I could burn the 8 SWU's at the same time before expiration date.

Anyway, tickets are very expensive at the moment, around U$2,000 for coach, reason why I havent book it yet. Should I go for it?
Does anyone has any suggestions?

Quick question: Once the upgrade is cleared, is there any remote chance of cancellation? Cuz I think taking the risk of flying to Asia from Brazil in coach would be a torture.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by fvsn
Anyway, tickets are very expensive at the moment, around U$2,000 for coach, reason why I havent book it yet. Should I go for it?
Does anyone has any suggestions?

Quick question: Once the upgrade is cleared, is there any remote chance of cancellation? Cuz I think taking the risk of flying to Asia from Brazil in coach would be a torture.
I've never had an upgrade taken away from me. I suppose if it were in error they could do something.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
I made EXP today for the first time ever. It seems I get 8 of these. No clue as to how I am gonna ever use them before they expire. But maybe I will. Good thing I got my passport renewed. I should be getting it back soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.