Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Old Dec 4, 2012, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
The current version of this thread can be found here:

FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade / SWU / eVIP / VIP? (Master thread)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Old Dec 27, 2016, 8:31 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by dkc192
That's good news, and certainly an improvement from the availability when I was looking at flying that route in mid-October!
I wouldn't get too hopeful that there is a positive trend with domestic SWU availability after Jan 11. Right now, upgrade space is sharing the same bucket as a mid-range revenue F bucket (between F and P buckets).

With the upcoming change, they are adding a dedicated domestic upgrade inventory bucket (same bucket as international SWU inventory) and will no longer be sharing the same inventory with a revenue inventory bucket. Trend has indicated over the last few years that those space most likely will be scarce or non-existent.

This is an indicator of why you can't find anything in Mid-Oct as you will need C space not D space (the new domestic A fare).

P.S. I did a quick search for C space for BOS-LAX from Mid-Jan to Feb... Not a single C space... Same thing for the entire month of October. Going for great indeed...
Old Dec 27, 2016, 10:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by golfingboy
I wouldn't get too hopeful that there is a positive trend with domestic SWU availability after Jan 11. Right now, upgrade space is sharing the same bucket as a mid-range revenue F bucket (between F and P buckets).

With the upcoming change, they are adding a dedicated domestic upgrade inventory bucket (same bucket as international SWU inventory) and will no longer be sharing the same inventory with a revenue inventory bucket. Trend has indicated over the last few years that those space most likely will be scarce or non-existent.

This is an indicator of why you can't find anything in Mid-Oct as you will need C space not D space (the new domestic A fare).

P.S. I did a quick search for C space for BOS-LAX from Mid-Jan to Feb... Not a single C space... Same thing for the entire month of October. Going for great indeed...
I put a EF alert for C space for my flights in last week of January. Is it
better to apply the SWU now and wait-list them ? Would they clear
people with SWU wait-listed first before doing Free or sticker upgrades ?

I am just being greedy in keeping my SWU for Feb travel if I need them
if I can get Free upgrades :-)

F.A.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 11:36 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by flyalways
I put a EF alert for C space for my flights in last week of January. Is it
better to apply the SWU now and wait-list them ? Would they clear
people with SWU wait-listed first before doing Free or sticker upgrades ?

I am just being greedy in keeping my SWU for Feb travel if I need them
if I can get Free upgrades :-)

F.A.
I am not 100% sure at this point, but logic should be that C space releases first before X space where the latter is for complimentary/e500 upgrades.

I would apply the SWU as your timestamp will give you priority over other EXPs who are using SWU or miles+copay to upgrade. Jan/Feb is the time of the year where there are a glut of expiring SWUs and many do "burn" them on domestic flights.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 5:07 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
You'll get to chat (aka security questions) with an AA agent at the Connections Center in T3, so you could start by asking there, then at the AC and then at the gate.

These are good times for an ExpertFlyer subscription as you'll be able to keep an eye on seat charts that way.
The connections center tried to apply the upgrade... they called the EXP desk to take the certificate and were told by the EXP desk that the ticket couldn't be changed since it wasn't issued by AA. There's no problem with C availability - it's currently showing as C3.

Old Dec 28, 2016, 6:17 am

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by absoluy
The connections center tried to apply the upgrade... they called the EXP desk to take the certificate and were told by the EXP desk that the ticket couldn't be changed since it wasn't issued by AA. There's no problem with C availability - it's currently showing as C3.

that is so wrong as there isn't a requirement that the ticket be 001. Just that it be an AA marketed flight. Aa has control of that coupon and can re issue the ticket.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 6:23 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
that is so wrong as there isn't a requirement that the ticket be 001. Just that it be an AA marketed flight. Aa has control of that coupon and can re issue the ticket.
I'll give it another go at the AC and/or the gate but not holding out much hope! May not be such a terrible thing as if I use one SWU now I'll be left with an odd amount to use between now and 2/28. Or at least that's how I'm trying to spin it to myself...

On the bright side, the refurbished CX F lounge in LHR is very nice. A big step up from the GF / FL or old CX F lounge. Reminds me a lot of the Pier in HKG.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I recently made EXP for the first time and immediately saw 4 SWUs in my account. I called and requested them for an upcoming LAX-AKL-LAX trip for me and my wife.

When I now login to AA.com, I don't see the SWUs on the My Account page (although I still see them on the AA app). Additionally, I don't see the Systemwide Upgrade link anymore when trying to make a new reservation.

Is this happening because all 4 of my SWUs are currently wait listed?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 4:30 pm

How AA SWU works on international and domestic mixed reservation

If I am flying from Asia to DFW then connecting to CLT and request SWU on both, will that happen if the domestic leg clears but not the international one and I got charged the SWU for just the domestic first?

If so, what's the best strategy here? Just withdraw upgrade request on the domestic leg?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by longmanzz
If I am flying from Asia to DFW then connecting to CLT and request SWU on both, will that happen if the domestic leg clears but not the international one and I got charged the SWU for just the domestic first?

If so, what's the best strategy here? Just withdraw upgrade request on the domestic leg?
That is what I do. Just request on the long haul and then when/if it clears ask for it to be extended to the shorter flight. If you don't and if only DFW-CLT clears you will be still charged the SWU.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by neo_781
That is what I do. Just request on the long haul and then when/if it clears ask for it to be extended to the shorter flight. If you don't and if only DFW-CLT clears you will be still charged the SWU.
There's no need to do that, it can be entered conditionally so that it won't be applied to just the domestic. That said, if EXP, the domestic complimentary upgrade often clears before the international SWU anyway these days.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jridge
There's no need to do that, it can be entered conditionally so that it won't be applied to just the domestic. That said, if EXP, the domestic complimentary upgrade often clears before the international SWU anyway these days.
That's good to know. It's never been presented as an option to me before, but I'll try it next time. ^

Either way (manually or automatically) best to only apply the domestic portion after the international leg clears.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Before even booking a coach ticket, how does one use Expert Flyer to maximize the upgrade possibility using SWUs (LAX is AKL is what we are planning) for middle of October.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by jediwho
Before even booking a coach ticket, how does one use Expert Flyer to maximize the upgrade possibility using SWUs (LAX is AKL is what we are planning) for middle of October.
ExpertFlyer doesn't help you do much that you can't do with aa.com - except it shows you many options at once (7 days range, for example). But confirmable space is visible on aa.com and seat maps are visible too.

The one thing that EF is useful for can be seeing the difference between I7 and I0 - the seats assigned may be very similar, but I assume that I0 means they expect to be able to see seats easily, whereas I7 indicates they're working harder to sell them.

But LAX-AKL is once a day I presume, so you can probably just assume that you should avoid holidays and weekends for the best chance.

Once you've booked flights and your SWUs are waitlisted, then EF is much more valuable because you can easily check your flights and set alerts, etc.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 9:09 am

What happens to confirmed SWU's after February, 28? travelling in May and October, any chances that ticket gets cancelled/downgraded?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.