Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2012, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
The current version of this thread can be found here:

FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade / SWU / eVIP / VIP? (Master thread)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2012, 4:40 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
I can check-in 24 hours in advance of the domestic (SEA-ORD) flight and 24 hours before the international (ORD-PVG). Would the upgrade list start at the domestic time or the international - meaning can they put you on the airport list more than 24 hours from the international departure? A number of years ago there was a way they could manipulate the computer date and check-in someone that was more than 24 hours from departure time. Essentially, I would be checking in 46 hours before the international segment.
You can check in for SEA-ORD-PVG 24 hours before your first flight. This will set the check-in time for the entire itinerary, and you won't have to check in again to set it twice or anything like that. It doesn't matter when you get added to the airport upgrade list, it only matters when you check in. In effect, you could check in exactly 24 hours before your flight out of Seattle, which would set your check in time some 30 hours before the transpacific flight is scheduled to leave. You could then wait until you got to the lounge in Chicago to add yourself to the airport upgrade waitlist if you wanted--it won't get processed until a gate agent arrives to the gate and begins to work the flight, typically never more than an hour or so before departure.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Order of upgrade clearance..

Hi there,

I was looking for the order of upgrade clearance in this forum but did not
find it. Can someone point me to it ?

I am on a BOS-ORD-NRT flight and I am using a SWU to upgrade from
economy to business. ORD-NRT cleared couple days back but not
BOS-ORD. There are still couple of seats available in First.

My question is if I will get a preference since I am using a SWU ?
I am EXP if that makes a difference. Do I need to do anything ? Does
it matter when I do OLCI ?

F.A.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 7:34 am

Programs: AA PP, Hilton/MR Gold
Okay, so I understand from upthread that SWU priority is by AA status, then connecting status, then time requested, then fare. (So as an EXP flying DCA-JFK-LHR, I'll clear ahead of anyone traveling just JFK-Lhr directly and any connecting EXPs who requested after me, right?)

My main question is if the priority for connecting pax includes one world flights? On the return I am traveling Zrh-Lhr-JFK with the first segment on BA. It's all on the same PNR, but is an actual BA flight number. Any benefit to calling and asking to make sure it shows up as me connecting?

Thanks!
Old Nov 14, 2012, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA PP, Hilton/MR Gold
Originally Posted by smashr
Okay, so I understand from upthread that SWU priority is by AA status, then connecting status, then time requested, then fare. (So as an EXP flying DCA-JFK-LHR, I'll clear ahead of anyone traveling just JFK-Lhr directly and any connecting EXPs who requested after me, right?)

My main question is if the priority for connecting pax includes one world flights? On the return I am traveling Zrh-Lhr-JFK with the first segment on BA. It's all on the same PNR, but is an actual BA flight number. Any benefit to calling and asking to make sure it shows up as me connecting?

Thanks!
Bump. Any thoughts?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 7:22 pm

Any luck booking for travel after 2/28/13?

Are they allowing people to book flights by 2/28/13 for travel after that day even if the eVIP is due to expire on that day?

I've never had an issue in previous years.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, 3MM; Marriott Gold; Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
I have a reservation on hold for an unusual routing (it saves ~$1,000).
AA 1157 DFW-SEA
AA 1152 SEA-ORD
AA 187 ORD-PEK
Will I be able to use one SWU for all three segments? Or will AA consider that I am backtracking (not flying in one direction)?
Old Nov 20, 2012, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PANK KP
Will I be able to use one SWU for all three segments? Or will AA consider that I am backtracking (not flying in one direction)?
There is no rule against "backtracking" nor a rule that requires that the three segments be "in one direction." As long as your trip is booked on one ticket, it is a one-way trip and requires just one SWU.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:45 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Strange display of my reservation where SWU applied.

In one direction of my itinerary I have 3 segments and had an SWU applied.

The first and last segment cleared instantly and no wait list required (for my return all segments cleared instantly -- yeah!!)

After using the SWU I checked my reservation, and as expected all segments where either in A or C (depending on aircraft/route) and the wait listed segment was still in Q.

For the past day, when I log in now, it seems that there is an 'extra segment' tacked on to the end of my trip. It's an 'A' class for the date/time and flight number of that wait listed middle segment on the outgoing. However, my 'Q' class segment of that same flight is also still being displayed.

When I go to click the seat assignment for the 'tacked on A segment', it just brings up my seat assignment in Q. I can't actually choose a seat in 'A'.

More confusing, when I say this is a 'tacked on segment', it literally appears on the end of my itinerary, after my return flight has completed. In other words, I have a total of 7 segments displayed (where in reality I should only have 6), the first 3 segments on Dec 4th, the next 3 on Dec 10th, and the final segment (this tacked on A segment) at the bottom of the page says Dec 4th again.

I've never really used SWU's before, but, is this some form of displaying that I'm still wait listed? Or is it displaying that my upgrade cleared, but, they can't give me a seat assignment yet for some reason? Or is this some glitch that I should call AA about?

Any info appreciated.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:47 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by thehawk75
I
Any info appreciated.
Call web services (800-222-2377). The extra segment does happen periodically, but it is something that you should get fixed. Also, showing one version with 'A' may mean that the upgrade is cleared and something is messing with the seat selection for that cabin.

Cheers.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:57 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by thehawk75
In one direction of my itinerary I have 3 segments and had an SWU applied.

The first and last segment cleared instantly and no wait list required (for my return all segments cleared instantly -- yeah!!)

After using the SWU I checked my reservation, and as expected all segments where either in A or C (depending on aircraft/route) and the wait listed segment was still in Q.

For the past day, when I log in now, it seems that there is an 'extra segment' tacked on to the end of my trip. It's an 'A' class for the date/time and flight number of that wait listed middle segment on the outgoing. However, my 'Q' class segment of that same flight is also still being displayed.

When I go to click the seat assignment for the 'tacked on A segment', it just brings up my seat assignment in Q. I can't actually choose a seat in 'A'.

More confusing, when I say this is a 'tacked on segment', it literally appears on the end of my itinerary, after my return flight has completed. In other words, I have a total of 7 segments displayed (where in reality I should only have 6), the first 3 segments on Dec 4th, the next 3 on Dec 10th, and the final segment (this tacked on A segment) at the bottom of the page says Dec 4th again.

I've never really used SWU's before, but, is this some form of displaying that I'm still wait listed? Or is it displaying that my upgrade cleared, but, they can't give me a seat assignment yet for some reason? Or is this some glitch that I should call AA about?

Any info appreciated.
This is how waitlisted segments appear on the emailed itineraries. Now it appears aa.com is also following suit.

All it means is that you are waitlisted for that segment.

New feature on aa.com.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by brp
Call web services (800-222-2377). The extra segment does happen periodically, but it is something that you should get fixed. Also, showing one version with 'A' may mean that the upgrade is cleared and something is messing with the seat selection for that cabin.

Cheers.
Thanks for the info.

I took your advice and called web services. The lady there saw what I was talking about immediately and said she was going to pass me through to reservations to get it fixed. Once passed there, the lady said (paraphrasing) that I have to wait a couple of days and then that 'Q' segment will disappear and only the 'A' will remain. At that point I can choose my seats. I hope this was correct information. I only say that because she seemed pre-occupied during our call, so, I hope she fully understood what I was trying to explain.

Well, there's still 5 days until departure anyway, which is some time to fix things if there happens to still be an issue to resolve.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by sukn
This is how waitlisted segments appear on the emailed itineraries. Now it appears aa.com is also following suit.

All it means is that you are waitlisted for that segment.

New feature on aa.com.
Ok, that was one of my 'theories' about this extra segment displayed.

Unfortunately for me, I guess I really still haven't cleared yet. Looking at AA.com it appears there still 5 seats left at the front, hopefully I'll get one of them.

It is a funny way to display a waitlist though. Once explained it makes sense, but, it's not all that intuitive.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by gozetta
How soon, after making EXP, do the SWUs show up in the account? I have a 1 week trip coming up and will make it on the first leg. For the return, do I have a shot to use one of them? Thanks.
Originally Posted by sukn
It can take up to a week. I believe the database is usually updated on Mondays.
This used to be my experience too.

HOWEVER, I am glad to report that I just re-qualified on Monday November 26th.

The 8 SWUs were deposited and ready to use as of yesterday, Wednesday 28th!

That was fast!!!
Old Dec 2, 2012, 3:54 pm

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by chuck1
Are they allowing people to book flights by 2/28/13 for travel after that day even if the eVIP is due to expire on that day?

I've never had an issue in previous years.
I had an issue with this for the first time. I booked travel for March 17-May 15 with a J to F upgrade. The AAgent set it up for ticketing with the upgrade, but I noticed I had not received the email receipt within a few days so I called back. Apparently the ticketing desk had kicked it back because travel was post-expiration. They recommended calling back and talking to AAdvantage CS tomorrow, which I intend to do.

Any other folks have experiences with expiring SWUs?
Old Dec 6, 2012, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I've not succeeded (despite trying a couple of times) at getting SWUs applied for post-28 February travel this year, even when C is wide open. Dunno if my rating has done down or if it's just the way things are this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.