Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2012, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
The current version of this thread can be found here:

FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade / SWU / eVIP / VIP? (Master thread)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2012, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsmeeker
I made EXP today for the first time ever. It seems I get 8 of these. No clue as to how I am gonna ever use them before they expire. But maybe I will. Good thing I got my passport renewed. I should be getting it back soon.
Congrats!

You have 14 months to use them as they won't expire until Feb 28, 2014. That should be plenty of time.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Congrats!

You have 14 months to use them as they won't expire until Feb 28, 2014. That should be plenty of time.
considering I've never taken an international long haul flight since i have become an AAdvantage member, it may be more complicated.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:54 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jsmeeker
considering I've never taken an international long haul flight since i have become an AAdvantage member, it may be more complicated.
Use them for Hawai'i or Alaska trips! Some members prefer using SWUs to confirm those long flights in advance vs. playing upgrade roulette.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 9:35 am

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Yeah.. Hawaii did cross my mind. It would be nice go go back. DFW-HNL in F would be a nice way to go.

Not that I couldn't take a long international trip. It's just that I wasn't expecting to get EXP this year and I don't know what my flying will be like in 2013. I've got a pile of miles too, and if I am not mistaken, SWUs have to be used on a paid fare.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:59 am

you are right. only on paid fares
Old Dec 30, 2012, 8:09 am

Programs: TK*GOLD, AA*EXP, DL*PM, AR*PL
First time using eVIP from Brazil to China and booking through travel agency

Hey guys,
This is my first time using a eVIP.
I asked my travel agent to place a reservation for me(GRU>DFW>ORD>PEK and PEK>ORD>DFW(stopover)>GRU) and hold it until the 3rd of January, so I would have time to think about it. The total amount came U$2,234.87
When I log in to AA website, the status of the reservation is "TICKETED" but on the amount paid is written "U$0.0" and has no ticket number.

Can I apply the upgrades before purchasing the ticket? I mean, currently my reservation is on hold (even though is written TICKETED), if I apply the eVIP that will change my class to C. Does it influence anything in the price later? Can I still buy it from my travel agent or do I have to purchase it through the Elite Desk?
I have a Stopover, how do I know if is a valid one to use the same eVIP as the rest of the journey?
My reservation has 2 domestic segments with TAM in Brazil, can I still apply the eVIP to AA metals or do I have to split the reservation?

Is there anyway that I can call the EXP desk and have them secure the place for me before I ticket it? Or when they secure the place they already change the booking class?
The reason I booked it through a travel agency is that I needed to add the domestic segments in Brazil, and I couldn't do it from AA website. I talked to them about AA SWU's and about my upgrade and they had no clue what was this about :/ So I think they are not familiar with this changing class thing, so I'm afraid they can mess up with my reservation if I process the upgrade before ticketing it.
What do you suggest me to do?
Old Jan 5, 2013, 7:12 pm

Using SWU on AA metal booked under LAN code

Cannot find a clear answer to this elsewhere on the forum...

Can I use a SWU on AA metal when I booked the flight with LAN and it has LAN code?

I do have the AA PNR. Is that enough to get an agent to apply it?
Old Jan 5, 2013, 7:13 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Marketed and operated. No. Clear.

From AA.com (search term {"systemwide"})

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...s/upgrades.jsp

Cheers.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 9:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
AA SWUs work ONLY on AA flights operated by AA.

In part:
  • Upgrade entitles passenger to a one-way upgrade to the next class of service at no additional charge for travel on American Airlines or American Eagle to any destination served by either airline....

• Upgrades are valid only on scheduled flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, or American Eagle flights offering a First or Business Class cabin for travel. Not valid on codeshare flights.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 5:30 am

FWIW, I was able to apply a SWU to a LA-coded AA flight at the check-in counter in LIM on the day of departure. May have just gotten lucky. But, no, I wasn't able to upgrade in advance.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 8:39 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by barelyelite
FWIW, I was able to apply a SWU to a LA-coded AA flight at the check-in counter in LIM on the day of departure. May have just gotten lucky. But, no, I wasn't able to upgrade in advance.
I would think this would be how is works in practical application. I am sure the check in or club agent would have the info at their disposal but wouldnt think they would look to see how the booking was made once you are checked in.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:37 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by jumbotusk
Cannot find a clear answer to this elsewhere on the forum...

Can I use a SWU on AA metal when I booked the flight with LAN and it has LAN code?

I do have the AA PNR. Is that enough to get an agent to apply it?
I've merged your question into the consolidated thread on SWU questions. I was able to find the thread by doing an advanced search, in thread titles only, for the term "{swu}" (without quotes). It is also linked in the FAQ sticky thread at the top of the forum. Please remember that FlyerTalk Guidelines & Rules do require all users to search for an extant thread before starting a new one.

~Moderator
Old Jan 7, 2013, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Long time reader, first time poster. Love this site and all the help it provides!

After years of trying I finally hit EXP this year. Question on how the SWUs work that I have not been able to find an answer for in the FAQs - can I request an upgrade on just part of an itinerary? I am going to EZE via JFK next month from LAX. Was able to confirm upgrades on the flights home but am wait listed for LAX-JFK-EZE.

The LAX-JFK leg is AA 2 on a Monday AM. I frequently take this flight and know how hard upgrades can be on it as it is elite heavy. My question is if this flight doesn't clear would it block JFK-EZE also? Could I call the desk and have them cut LAX-JFK off my upgrade? I dont really care if I am in Economy on the short flight - just want to be in Biz if possible on the long JFK-EZE. Any help is much appreciated!
Old Jan 9, 2013, 2:09 am

Programs: SPG PLT, AA ExPlt
Talking Help Booking SWU Flights to Europe

Anyone have any experience with miles award booking agencies and if they can help with maximizing use of a SWU for a complicated itinerary from SFO/LAX through a few cities in Europe?
I'm asking for a friend who just made ExPl and it sounds like the flights she wants might get tricky, especially since she wants to maximize the SWU so she's looking to stay on AA metal. I've yet to use a service, but wondering if anyone has experience with those vendors and SWUs.

On a related note, does anyone know if you can use an SWU on a series of flights (but one itinerary) that includes a codeshare? (assuming you won't get the upgrade on the CS)

Thanks,

M
Old Jan 9, 2013, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
SWUs can only be used for AA flights, not on codeshares on other carriers
It would be valid for up to 3 segments, not including the CS. It is ok if there is a codeshare on the same ticket.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/el...s/upgrades.jsp

This upgrade is subject to capacity controls and is limited to a single one-way ticket with a maximum of three segments. Reservations are subject to seat availability at the time of upgrade.

Reservations may be made and tickets purchased from any authorized Travel Agency or American Airlines. Upgrade requests using systemwide upgrades cannot be made via AA.com at this time.

Upgrades are valid only on scheduled flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, or American Eagle flights offering a First or Business Class cabin for travel. Not valid on codeshare flights.

Last edited by mvoight; Jan 9, 2013 at 2:54 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.