Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2012, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
The current version of this thread can be found here:

FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade / SWU / eVIP / VIP? (Master thread)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2013, 5:05 am

Programs: AA EXP/Hilton Diamond/Marriott Platinum/Hertz Pres. Circle/Avis Grand Wizard/Wife's Favorite Husband
Originally Posted by milkchug
Anyone have any experience with miles award booking agencies and if they can help with maximizing use of a SWU for a complicated itinerary from SFO/LAX through a few cities in Europe?
I'm asking for a friend who just made ExPl and it sounds like the flights she wants might get tricky, especially since she wants to maximize the SWU so she's looking to stay on AA metal. I've yet to use a service, but wondering if anyone has experience with those vendors and SWUs.

On a related note, does anyone know if you can use an SWU on a series of flights (but one itinerary) that includes a codeshare? (assuming you won't get the upgrade on the CS)

Thanks,

M
Unless he intends to do XXX-LHR-XXX-FRA-XXX-MAN-XXX-ZRH etc., where XXX is a US airport, then this is pointless

SWU's are only valid for AA marketed flights, on AA's own airplanes.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 9:26 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
the swu is most likely limited to the flights to europe....i don't think there any aa flights w/i europe...
Old Jan 9, 2013, 9:50 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Anyone have any experience with miles award booking agencies and if they can help with maximizing use of a SWU for a complicated itinerary from SFO/LAX through a few cities in Europe?
I think I'm not understanding this first sentence. Is this an award being booked? If so, SWUs can't be used.

Cheers.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by parvez
Unless he intends to do XXX-LHR-XXX-FRA-XXX-MAN-XXX-ZRH etc., where XXX is a US airport, then this is pointless
...and in that hypothetical case, only one leg would be upgraded per SWU since each turn ends the one-way sequence. While anecdotal exceptions exist (from myself included), SWUs are not allowed for multiple legs in the same direction within an itinerary when they are segmented by flights in the other direction.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:50 am

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by brp
I think I'm not understanding this first sentence. Is this an award being booked? If so, SWUs can't be used.

Cheers.
I believe the OP is referring to one of those mileage award booking agencies where you pay them $200 or so and they find the best routing using miles. In this case, I think the OP is asking if anyone has had success using one of these companies to maximize SWU use.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 2:40 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA ExPlt
Originally Posted by umaa83
I believe the OP is referring to one of those mileage award booking agencies where you pay them $200 or so and they find the best routing using miles. In this case, I think the OP is asking if anyone has had success using one of these companies to maximize SWU use.
Umaa83,

Thank you for clarifying. That is exactly what I meant.
Normally I would help them but I am far from an SWU expert and wondering those agencies have experience with navigating through what seems to be a limiting proposition.

M
Old Jan 9, 2013, 2:55 pm

Umaa83,

Normally I would help them but I am far from an SWU expert and wondering those agencies have experience with navigating through what seems to be a limiting proposition.

M
In that case you are best off saving your money and either calling AA for availability around your desired dates, or setting up a trial EF subscription (free for a certain number of days) and search around yourself (you would be looking for C inventory). You will only be able to use your SWU on an AA operated flight from the US to Europe and back, not within Europe on BA, IB, etc.

If you wanted to make things interesting, I belive you can use your SWU i.e. LHR-ORD-NRT or LHR-MIA-GIG if you wanted to go somewhere else other than say just LHR. Depending on how many upgrades you have, you could use one upgrade to Europe, one upgrade doing what I mentioned above, and then one upgrade back to your home city (all on AA obviously).

Last edited by umaa83; Jan 9, 2013 at 3:01 pm
Old Jan 9, 2013, 3:02 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Umaa83,

M
Maybe I'm being dense (and apologies if so), but it seems that this agency is booking the ticket using miles, as opposed to the ticket being a purchased AA ticket? Am I reading that right? If miles are used, SWUs won't be applicable.

Cheers.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by brp
Maybe I'm being dense (and apologies if so), but it seems that this agency is booking the ticket using miles, as opposed to the ticket being a purchased AA ticket? Am I reading that right? If miles are used, SWUs won't be applicable.

Cheers.
Normally you pay these agencies a fee and tell them you have 200K miles you would like to burn to wherever, and they find you the best routing dates and times instead of doing what most of us do ourselves on here (us EF or keep bugging AA). In this case the OP is looking to purchase a fare ticket, but prior to booking they would use the agency to scope out what would be the most advantageous routing using the SWU.

The OP is asking if anyone on here has had success using these companies to scope out SWU upgrade space/routings on a paid fare, instead of a miles only ticket. I actually have neighbors that use such a company, but have no experience with them myself, so I personally don't know if they would do it, but the OP is asking if anyone on here has tried before.

Since the OP is looking for US-Europe return, to me, I would save the money and just investigate myself, but they may not have the time or the energy to waste to do so.

Last edited by umaa83; Jan 9, 2013 at 3:16 pm
Old Jan 9, 2013, 3:39 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Normally you pay these agencies a fee and tell them you have 200K miles you would like to burn to wherever, and they find you the best routing dates and times instead of doing what most of us do ourselves on here (us EF or keep bugging AA). In this case the OP is looking to purchase a fare ticket, but prior to booking they would use the agency to scope out what would be the most advantageous routing using the SWU.

The OP is asking if anyone on here has had success using these companies to scope out SWU upgrade space/routings on a paid fare, instead of a miles only ticket. I actually have neighbors that use such a company, but have no experience with them myself, so I personally don't know if they would do it, but the OP is asking if anyone on here has tried before.

Since the OP is looking for US-Europe return, to me, I would save the money and just investigate myself, but they may not have the time or the energy to waste to do so.
Fog clears. Thank you

Cheers.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uscjeff
Long time reader, first time poster. Love this site and all the help it provides!
Welcome to Flyertalk.

After years of trying I finally hit EXP this year. Question on how the SWUs work that I have not been able to find an answer for in the FAQs - can I request an upgrade on just part of an itinerary? I am going to EZE via JFK next month from LAX. Was able to confirm upgrades on the flights home but am wait listed for LAX-JFK-EZE.
Yes, you can specify which segments you want to upgrade, but there is no reason to not waitlist for both. Failure to clear one will not affect the other (unless you want it to). Many people are afraid that a short domestic segment will clear but their long international segment will not, and want to link them so that the domestic leg clears only if the international one clears.

The LAX-JFK leg is AA 2 on a Monday AM. I frequently take this flight and know how hard upgrades can be on it as it is elite heavy. My question is if this flight doesn't clear would it block JFK-EZE also? Could I call the desk and have them cut LAX-JFK off my upgrade? I dont really care if I am in Economy on the short flight - just want to be in Biz if possible on the long JFK-EZE. Any help is much appreciated!
Your JFK-EZE upgrade is not affected by whether or not the LAX-JFK upgrade clears. If I were you, I'd make sure that you're waitlisted for both, and hope for the best.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 5:26 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA ExPlt

If you wanted to make things interesting, I belive you can use your SWU i.e. LHR-ORD-NRT or LHR-MIA-GIG if you wanted to go somewhere else other than say just LHR. Depending on how many upgrades you have, you could use one upgrade to Europe, one upgrade doing what I mentioned above, and then one upgrade back to your home city (all on AA obviously).

Using your first example, does this mean that I could use 2 SWU to book through to my home city?
Sorry to be dense but the concept seems to elude me.

Assuming my home is LAX and I want to go through LHR or some other Europe destination, I can add on another leg to NRT all on one SWU and then use another one for routing home?

Appreciate the help.

M
Old Jan 9, 2013, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Using your first example, does this mean that I could use 2 SWU to book through to my home city?
Sorry to be dense but the concept seems to elude me.

Assuming my home is LAX and I want to go through LHR or some other Europe destination, I can add on another leg to NRT all on one SWU and then use another one for routing home?

Appreciate the help.

M
Yes, you can fly LHR-LAX-NRT using just one SWU.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Yes, you can specify which segments you want to upgrade, but there is no reason to not waitlist for both. Failure to clear one will not affect the other (unless you want it to). Many people are afraid that a short domestic segment will clear but their long international segment will not, and want to link them so that the domestic leg clears only if the international one clears.

Your JFK-EZE upgrade is not affected by whether or not the LAX-JFK upgrade clears. If I were you, I'd make sure that you're waitlisted for both, and hope for the best.
Thanks for all this - its a big help ^
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Platinum
What's a Systemwide Upgrade SWU VIP eVIP SWUs, questions etc. (2012 on, consolidated)

Is it possible to use a SWU on an IB ticket but segment is on AA metal if I was able to get the AA PNR?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.