Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2012, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
The current version of this thread can be found here:

FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade / SWU / eVIP / VIP? (Master thread)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2011, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1 MM; Marriott Plat; Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Husband is flying LAX-ORD-DEL-PNQ tommorrow and is waitlisted, request ~ 6 months ago. AA.com will not let him check in online. Called EXP line, they transferred to web support who said he cannot checkin online if he is waitlisted for a VIP. HELP!!
I guess the issue is not relating to eVIP. It is the sector DEL-PNQ which is not AA metal. I had similar issue earlier of not able to check-in online when I had a non-AA metal flight
Old Dec 1, 2011, 11:15 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by vasantn
That's much too early. RM will never consider it that far out.
Is this for upgrades, awards, or both?

How far out will RM consider requests?
Old Dec 2, 2011, 5:11 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Last year he was upgraded at the airport, same flight, same day (first Friday of Dec) and also on the return he was uprgraded at Delhi but I'm 99% sure I was able to check him in online at 24 hours from LAX (not on the return due to first flight being on Kingfisher). According to EXP line the flight is sold out in all three classes. Between kid dental appointments, parent teacher conferences, swim team and school talent show, driving to LA is a no go today. So booking 6 months out and requesting the upgrade when the flight was *completely* empty in first and business and virtually empty in coach gets him squat. grrrrrr At this rate he's going to end the year with 7 unused VIPs. And he requalified last week so now has 8 more in his account.
Upgrades are never guaranteed. I agree - most times six months out an upgrade for an EXP should clear. In four years on AA I have never not had an international clear (two years as a PLAT, two as an EXP) - hoping my first miss isn't tomorrow. But if AA was able to sell 37 seats in J. Or there were other EXPs higher on the list. Then your husband doesn't get the upgrade. That's the system. It works well for EXPs most of the time but it can't all the time. Some EXPs end up flying routes/times/days, etc. that have worse luck than others. Just part of the game.

Right now there is one VIP1T listed for the ORD-DEL flight tonight. I'm assuming its your husband. Fingers crossed he clears. Generally speaking, if I'm #1 on a list for a sold out flight, I'm happy about my chances.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sts603
Right now there is one VIP1T listed for the ORD-DEL flight tonight. I'm assuming its your husband. Fingers crossed he clears. Generally speaking, if I'm #1 on a list for a sold out flight, I'm happy about my chances.
Thanks for the good wishes- he checked in at 5 am PST and was told he's number 2 with one seat open. I do wish that they preserved purchase/request time when they switch to airport control as purchase/request time is more in our control than ability to check in online sometimes. When ticket was purchased all preferred seats in economy were empty so I'm fairly certian he was #1 by that measure. He doesn't have the same SWU success that many others here have because he's just not that flexible in when he can fly due to work contrainsts. He does have the ability to buy tickets REALLY far out most of the time though. I can tell you with 99% certaintanty that he will be flying to Delhi and on to Pune again next year the first Friday in December and will probalby get approval to travel/purchase tickets in April.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 8:00 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
I do wish that they preserved purchase/request time when they switch to airport control as purchase/request time is more in our control than ability to check in online sometimes.
They changes stickers from check-in time to original request on the airport list a while back. I'm not sure why they didn't/couldn't do the same with SWUs/mileage. We'd prefer that as well as we also purchase well in advance.

Cheers.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 8:09 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Thanks for the good wishes- he checked in at 5 am PST and was told he's number 2 with one seat open. I do wish that they preserved purchase/request time when they switch to airport control as purchase/request time is more in our control than ability to check in online sometimes. When ticket was purchased all preferred seats in economy were empty so I'm fairly certian he was #1 by that measure. He doesn't have the same SWU success that many others here have because he's just not that flexible in when he can fly due to work contrainsts. He does have the ability to buy tickets REALLY far out most of the time though. I can tell you with 99% certaintanty that he will be flying to Delhi and on to Pune again next year the first Friday in December and will probalby get approval to travel/purchase tickets in April.
I'm sure you know this already, but December is peak travel time to India, and choosing to fly on a Fri or Sat just means having to sweat out an eVIP wait-listed upgrade.

The pattern for this route is that coach sells out first and then the premium cabins go next as people with inflexible schedules have no choice but to pony up for the premium cabins.

The good news is that this route is notorious for no-shows so your husband still has a pretty good shot. Good luck.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 8:49 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Originally Posted by sts603
Right now there is one VIP1T listed for the ORD-DEL flight tonight.
How did you know this?
Old Dec 2, 2011, 9:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by supergrandslam
How did you know this?
There are folks with access to AA's systems that help out here on occasion.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 9:11 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by brp
They changes stickers from check-in time to original request on the airport list a while back. I'm not sure why they didn't/couldn't do the same with SWUs/mileage. We'd prefer that as well as we also purchase well in advance.
according to wiki flyerguide PALL article, after T-3 when it goes to airport control, VIP1 is same priority as UPG1, and other VIPs are all same as UPG (no status).

if sticker upgrades are ranked by request time while VIP is check-in time, would it mean VIPs are automatically behind all other sticker upgrades? (EXP behind other EXPs and non-EXPs behind everyone). or how they mix the VIP and stickers?
Old Dec 2, 2011, 9:54 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by mingw
according to wiki flyerguide PALL article, after T-3 when it goes to airport control, VIP1 is same priority as UPG1, and other VIPs are all same as UPG (no status).

if sticker upgrades are ranked by request time while VIP is check-in time, would it mean VIPs are automatically behind all other sticker upgrades? (EXP behind other EXPs and non-EXPs behind everyone). or how they mix the VIP and stickers?
They are mixed together and sorted by request time. Normal -T/non-T designations apply.

The check-in time VIP sorting is only for non-sticker eligible flights.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Really?? So in the past when sticker/EXP upgrades looked not so good on LAX-JFK, requesting a VIP instead is no help at all??

PS looks like my husband's flight out of LAX- 1201 is so delayed due to a mechanical that 17 people on his flight, including him, may miss the Delhi flight and tommorrow is sold out. So much for worrying about a VIP clearing.

Last edited by VickiSoCal; Dec 2, 2011 at 10:43 am
Old Dec 2, 2011, 10:43 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
Really?? So in the past when sticker/EXP upgrades looked not so good on LAX-JFK, requesting a VIP instead is no help at all??
there was a recent post saying that he was #2, then requested using SWU and found indeed no change of ranking.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 10:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mingw
there was a recent post saying that he was #2, then requested using SWU and found indeed no change of ranking.
That was me. And yes, that was my experience. But I ultimately cleared by waiting for one seat to open (within four hours usually the inventory will also be avaialble for A/C) and then asking the EXP desk to clear me into the then available A space. They did, I got a J bp. The guy who was #1 for the sticker upgrade sat in Y. This of course required some work. But it did work. So VIPs can be used to jump the list on domestics BUT its not simply a matter of switching the instrument and having one's priority moving that much higher.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 10:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Wink

looks like my husband's flight out of LAX- 1201 is so delayed due to a mechanical that upwards of 8 people on his flight, including him, are going to miss the Delhi flight and tommorrow is sold out. OS much for worryign about a VIP clearing.
If he is on a time-definite trip, I'd suggest asking AA to reaccommodate on another airline. Perhaps route through LHR? The London flights on AA and BA leave later in the day, BA operate non-stop from LHR to DEL, BLR, HYD, DXB, BOM and MAA, all of which also have non-stop service to PNQ. I've not checked the connection times, but somewhere in there is an option that would avoid your husband having to wait for the tomorrow's AA ORD-DEL flight, which is currently showing F0 J1 Y5--not good news for upgraders or people who hate middle seats...

EDIT: I have no clue how that tacky blue smiley ended up in the title, please disregard it...

Last edited by Microwave; Dec 2, 2011 at 2:14 pm
Old Dec 2, 2011, 10:54 am
Suspended

PS looks like my husband's flight out of LAX- 1201 is so delayed due to a mechanical that 17 people on his flight, including him, may miss the Delhi flight and tommorrow is sold out. So much for worrying about a VIP clearing.
I'm sorry to hear that. That said, I am a little surprised that he booked the 8am out of LAX when earlier options were available. Having a 1h40m connection to an international flight is suicide. Everything can go wrong. Minor weather delay (common in ORD), crew delay, even a minor maintenance issue, etc. can screw you.

AA will hopefully find him space on another airline - likely via Europe - leaving tonight. That said, yes he's going to be in Y most likely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.