Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2012, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
The current version of this thread can be found here:

FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade / SWU / eVIP / VIP? (Master thread)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2011, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Yas46377
Wow that is hardcore. When you say room and board are compliments of AA do you redeyes? Also is that all one intinerary? I didn't even know you could do that hahah.
Redeyes West to East yes. 2 tickets @$397ai
Ticket #1
SFO-JFK-SJU 11:00P-1:55P
SJU-ORD-SFO 3:20P-10:45P
Ticket #2
SFO-ORD-SJU 11:40P-2:20P
SJU-ORD-SFO 3:20P-10:45P
Old Oct 6, 2011, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott PLAT, Starwood PLT, Hilton Silver
Damn, you literally turn around an hour later after the 1st Itinerary and do it all over again. I'm assuming you are doing all this in First thanks to your EXP status? Also I've heard people talk about using SWU's on the SFO-JKF route. Do you not get upgraded on those flights as an EXP even though it is domestic?
Old Oct 6, 2011, 5:54 pm

Can you use miles to get an INTERNATIONAL upgrade from Economy to Biz on AA, or can you only use SWUs?
Old Oct 6, 2011, 6:01 pm

A question I actually have the answer to! Yes, you can upgrade internationally with Miles from Economy to Business on AA. But there is also a Copay invovled unless you booked a full fare coach ticket (Y or B). Here's their upgrade awards page: http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/jba-u...servations.jsp

For Ex: My India flight is 40,000 Miles + $350 One way to upgrade from Discount Economy to Business.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 6:27 pm

Do you know which fare classes aren't eligible for International upgrades using miles plus copay?
Old Oct 6, 2011, 6:38 pm

Looking at their T&C it doesn't seem like any fare classes are excluded from upgrades using Miles+Copay. Unless someone corrects me I'd say whatever fare you booked should be eligible to upgrade to Business class pending availability.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 6:43 pm

Thanks so much for your help!
Old Oct 9, 2011, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kevinjrwagner
Do you know which fare classes aren't eligible for International upgrades using miles plus copay?
All paid fare classes that you can book on aa.com are eligible for international upgrades. Most paid fare classes that you book with third parties are even eligible.

But there may be the occasional third-party "consolidator" fare that isn't eligible, because it may book into a strange fare code that you never see otherwise (or may even be a duplicate of what is normally an award fare code).

(So if you want to be absolutely sure, the simple thing is to book on aa.com.)

And you can't upgrade from an award or upgrade fare class, either. (The latter means you can't double-upgrade.)
Old Oct 10, 2011, 9:51 pm
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
My brother has booked a ticket on aa.com CLT-ORD-DEL (and back) and I would like to use my SWUs for his flights between ORD and DEL. Would one SWU upgrade both the CLT-ORD and the ORD-DEL legs? The wording on their web site seemed to suggest that: This upgrade is subject to capacity controls and is limited to a single one-way trip with a maximum of three segments. Is my understanding correct, and what happens when some segments are available for upgrade and some are not? I only want to use the SWU if the ORD-DEL flight can be upgraded.

What is the priority by which the upgrades are done? I presume that since he does not have elite status with AA, he would be at the lowest priority.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 9:56 pm

An SWU can be used for up to 3 segments (so yes to an international and domestic).

IIRC, the SWU will clear when the international segment clears.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 10:04 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by PG
My brother has booked a ticket on aa.com CLT-ORD-DEL (and back) and I would like to use my SWUs for his flights between ORD and DEL. Would one SWU upgrade both the CLT-ORD and the ORD-DEL legs? The wording on their web site seemed to suggest that: This upgrade is subject to capacity controls and is limited to a single one-way trip with a maximum of three segments. Is my understanding correct, and what happens when some segments are available for upgrade and some are not? I only want to use the SWU if the ORD-DEL flight can be upgraded.

What is the priority by which the upgrades are done? I presume that since he does not have elite status with AA, he would be at the lowest priority.
Yes, one SWU will upgrade both segments.

If only one segment is available, you can upgrade that one and wait list the other segment. In your situation, just tell the agent that you only want to use the SWU if you clear the long-haul segment. They can wait list just the ORD-DEL flight, then clear the domestic segment later assuming there is upgrade inventory.

Priority is by status, then time of upgrade request within each status level. (If you don't clear the upgrade by flight check in, then you'll need to be added to the airport wait list, which is then prioritized by status, then time of check-in within each status level.) If your brother is traveling with you on the same PNR, then he will inherit your status. Otherwise, he would be placed behind all elite members.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 4:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
Companion on different PNR and China Questions

I'm flying with a friend on the same TPAC flights, but we are starting from a different destination so we will be on different PNRs. Is there anyway I can link our tickets so that he inherits my status or has some sort of priority? I was thinking not, but thought it was worth checking.

Also, can anyone who flies to China frequently comment on what upgrade chances might be in December to/from PVG/PEK? The flights are all J7 Y7 and the seat maps look empty, so I'm thinking our chances are pretty high. Of course no C availability (or even milesaaver J).
Old Oct 11, 2011, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by doctor15
I'm flying with a friend on the same TPAC flights, but we are starting from a different destination so we will be on different PNRs. Is there anyway I can link our tickets so that he inherits my status or has some sort of priority? I was thinking not, but thought it was worth checking.

Also, can anyone who flies to China frequently comment on what upgrade chances might be in December to/from PVG/PEK? The flights are all J7 Y7 and the seat maps look empty, so I'm thinking our chances are pretty high. Of course no C availability (or even milesaaver J).
Depends. What kind of upgrade? SWU? Miles+Cash? Different instruments clear different ways. No "C" pretty much says it all for those flights, but if you're using SWU's, it's always worth waitlisting as C could easily become available.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 8:14 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mreed911
Depends. What kind of upgrade? SWU? Miles+Cash? Different instruments clear different ways.
Actually, they don't since they both clear into C. They clear in exactly the same way. Just depends upon where one is on the list. (Once things get to airport control in foreign airports, though, all bets are off with regard to clearing order.)

Cheers.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by brp
Actually, they don't since they both clear into C. They clear in exactly the same way. Just depends upon where one is on the list. (Once things get to airport control in foreign airports, though, all bets are off with regard to clearing order.)
Thanks for clarifying what I meant. They're in a different position on the upgrade pecking order, even though they use the same fare bucket. Then again, only EXP's have expanded C availability. It's worth a call to the EXP desk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.