Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2012, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
The current version of this thread can be found here:

FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade / SWU / eVIP / VIP? (Master thread)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2011, 12:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by brp
Nope. Since the SWU- and sticker-based upgrades come from different inventories (C/A or X/R, respectively), there is no "trumping" going on.

Cheers.
Are we certain that when the list goes to airport control, C/A does not have priority over X/R? I've asked a number of TAs and GAs, and while it is difficult to get a comprehensive answer out of them, they seem to agree for the most part that C/A trumps X/R if the list goes to airport control.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 12:35 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sukn
Are we certain that when the list goes to airport control, C/A does not have priority over X/R? I've asked a number of TAs and GAs, and while it is difficult to get a comprehensive answer out of them, they seem to agree for the most part that C/A trumps X/R if the list goes to airport control.
Realistically, I think it would. But since these are different inventories, it would depend upon which inventory opened up. If both inventories open on the same seat(s) (not unlikely) then the trumping might come into play.

Cheers,

Bruce
Old Sep 1, 2011, 9:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, TSA PreCheck
I may have used 'Trump' in a context for which it's not well suited ;-)

My experience these past few years is simple; I've never seen X without A on EF or when using upgrade instruments for myself or others. This makes business sense to me because A equates to the use of miles or an SWU and benefits AA more than X. Presumption? Yes. Are there exceptions? Probably. Good rule of thumb? I think so. I'd expect timing to matter here greatly though. if it's at the gate I think they can clear someone into X a whole lot faster than via an SWU and the GA probably wants an on time departure right?

It may come down to the usual upgrade Heisenburg principle. The more you try and measure your chances ...
Old Sep 1, 2011, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP Hyatt Dia SPG Gold Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by Deltahater
Actually, I thought I read on here that AA will sometimes let you 'borrow' an eVIP if it is clear that you will earn them before you fly and use that eVIP.
Has anyone borrowed evips? I am wondering how to go about it. "Hi EXP desk, can I borrow some evips?"

I will be just under 99k miles after this week, but the next planned trip isn't until the beginning of Nov. We have planned a vacation for next April that still has C availability, and I am worried the C availability would dry up by Nov.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I ended up getting the answer to my own question from AAdvantage (which is probably where I should have looked first) but incase anyone else needs to know here is the answer:

If you gift SWUs to someone with no AA status but with status on another OW airline, they will join the wait list for upgrade inventory at the level of their OW status. i.e A BAEC Silver (OW Sapphire) will join the list above AA GLDs.

This info is according to two separate AAdvantage reps so if you believe it to be wrong please don't shoot the messenger
Old Sep 1, 2011, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by qbrain
Has anyone borrowed evips? I am wondering how to go about it. "Hi EXP desk, can I borrow some evips?"

I will be just under 99k miles after this week, but the next planned trip isn't until the beginning of Nov. We have planned a vacation for next April that still has C availability, and I am worried the C availability would dry up by Nov.
If you're a multi-year EXP, you may be able to go negative. Nothing to lose by asking.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
How (other than calling AA, which does not provide a written record) can I verify that I am on the list?
Why do you want a written record? Are you concerned that you might get added to the list and then dropped? I have never heard of this happening. In my view, if you call and are told you are on the list, you are on the list.

Originally Posted by Xero
If you are paranoid, call 3 separate agents on multiple days.
Why?

Originally Posted by qbrain

I've read a number of reports of people accidentally or unbeknownst to them going negative. A few years back it turned out I'd been negative at one point without realizing it. So, you may not need to ask. Especially if you are at 99k miles and have future trips booked.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 9:34 pm

Programs: Executive Platinum
Use of SWU by Platium flyer

I recently used the four SWUs that I was given at the 2 million mile mark. I think it is great that AA has that program and I really appreciated the SWUs. I checked on EF for availability and booked my flights to and from Hawaii based on where First Class upgrades were available. I booked my flights on line and the put the flights on hold. I called AA to apply the SWUs. I did not want to purchase the ticket right away because I wanted to make sure that a "better flight" did not become available during the hold period. But I did want to make sure that I had the upgrade before actually purchasing the ticket.

When I wanted to purchase the ticket AA, the system would not let me purchase the ticket on line. I called AA to find out why and they informed me that because they had applied the SWUs to my hold reservation I had to purchase the tickets on the phone and there would be a $25 charge per ticket. Perhaps since EXP do not need to pay phone charges this is a "hole" in the process for Platium members using SWUs? After I politely complained and said that it did not seem right the agent talked to Customer Service and after about 5 minutes on hold they said that they would waive the phone ticket charge.

I just wanted to share my experience for any other lifetime Platium members who are using their SWUs. The bottom line is that I very pleased with the get benefit.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by jagoffee
I recently used the four SWUs that I was given at the 2 million mile mark. I think it is great that AA has that program and I really appreciated the SWUs. I checked on EF for availability and booked my flights to and from Hawaii based on where First Class upgrades were available. I booked my flights on line and the put the flights on hold. I called AA to apply the SWUs. I did not want to purchase the ticket right away because I wanted to make sure that a "better flight" did not become available during the hold period. But I did want to make sure that I had the upgrade before actually purchasing the ticket.

When I wanted to purchase the ticket AA, the system would not let me purchase the ticket on line. I called AA to find out why and they informed me that because they had applied the SWUs to my hold reservation I had to purchase the tickets on the phone and there would be a $25 charge per ticket. Perhaps since EXP do not need to pay phone charges this is a "hole" in the process for Platium members using SWUs? After I politely complained and said that it did not seem right the agent talked to Customer Service and after about 5 minutes on hold they said that they would waive the phone ticket charge.

I just wanted to share my experience for any other lifetime Platium members who are using their SWUs. The bottom line is that I very pleased with the get benefit.
Glad you are satisfied. Next time, while you are on the phone confirming the SWU space with the agent, purchase your reservation online and then immediately have the agent take over the reservation and apply the SWUs. This would avoid the $25 ticketing dilemma.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 12:07 am

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by zphelj
I may have used 'Trump' in a context for which it's not well suited ;-)

My experience these past few years is simple; I've never seen X without A on EF or when using upgrade instruments for myself or others. This makes business sense to me because A equates to the use of miles or an SWU and benefits AA more than X. Presumption? Yes. Are there exceptions? Probably. Good rule of thumb? I think so. I'd expect timing to matter here greatly though. if it's at the gate I think they can clear someone into X a whole lot faster than via an SWU and the GA probably wants an on time departure right?

It may come down to the usual upgrade Heisenburg principle. The more you try and measure your chances ...
I have to add a special situation. When C clears on international segment, now comes to waitlist A on domestice segment: Unless you are EXP, even with PLT,
You will be bottom on the list (below gold and on any X inventory, unless you are willing to use sticker, normal rule will apply.)
Old Sep 5, 2011, 8:12 am

Programs: AA EXP/OW Emerald
Originally Posted by vasantn
If you're a multi-year EXP, you may be able to go negative. Nothing to lose by asking.
I've done this before accidentally. I had 1 SWU left and put in for a waitlisted upgrade a few months out. I had a new reservation come up in between and I upgraded that one (thus going to 0). Later my other one cleared. I didn't see it go negative online, but when I requalified EXP for the first month I had 8, but then it went down to 7.

My guess is the system primarily checks at time of request, not at time of fulfillment. Although who knows. Somebody or some system eventually noticed it and deducted my extra.

The OP sounds like they may have 0 right now and want to waitlist, I'd be very surprised if that was allowed. One option you could do though is ask to waitlist for the miles+copay option (which is the same inventory, same priority). Ask the agent if they can switch later to SWUs without losing your plate in line. You'll just have to hope it doesn't clear before you get your SWUs.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 9:59 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Fly2Where
When C clears on international segment, now comes to waitlist A on domestice segment: Unless you are EXP, even with PLT,
You will be bottom on the list (below gold and on any X inventory, unless you are willing to use sticker, normal rule will apply.)
I find that A inventory on domestic flights tends to be plentiful. In any case, I always request a sticker upgrade for all sticker-eligible flights when attempting to upgrade internationally (even before I made EXP), then if the international upgrade clears and I'm booked into X or R for the domestic portion, I can either call and ask to be reticketed into A or C, or just fly on the X or R inventory and contact ACS to reinstate the stickers after the fact--they have been very good about that with me in the past.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, TSA PreCheck
Originally Posted by Fly2Where
I have to add a special situation. When C clears on international segment, now comes to waitlist A on domestice segment: Unless you are EXP, even with PLT,
It happens though very rarely in my experience and it's not over until the door closes. The only time I've experienced this is a JFK to DFW flight mid day (I was returning from Europe) and I had waitlisted on the SWU. SWU over the pond cleared but the 1st class cabin was sold out (F0/A0) for JFK-DFW by then.

Never quit though: Someone's plans changed and seats opened up and it cleared at the last minute. Happens. I am EXP, which certainly improves my odds, but I do think this logic still applies to anyone using an SWU.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 9:21 am

Has anyone seen waitlisted SWUs show up in an email itinerary from AA? I never have until today. Here is the scenario:

I'm waitlisted for a SWU on outbound leg of an int'l trip next month. Yesterday AA canceled a domestic leg on the return (part of this new schedule reduction) and automatically re-routed me. I received the email this morning that shows the following:

Flight #1: The Int'l leg in N (this is the flight that I'm currently waitlisted for the SWU).
Flight #2: Correct inventory
Flight #3: Correct inventory
Flight #4: Correct inventory (the new flight that AA moved me to as my original flight #4 was cxl'd).
Flight #5: Correct inventory
Flight #6: A duplicate of flight #1 but in C, as opposed to N.

A quick call to EXP confirmed that I was still on WL for Flight #1 and that I was just seeing the WL listed in the itinerary as Flight #6.

AA.com shows Flight #1 in N and does not show Flight #6.

I've certainly had tickets reissued while one leg was still on a WL but the email itinerary did not have the WL flight listed twice (i.e., Flight #1 and #6). Anyone else have this?

I'm worried that something is screwed up and that I'm not properly waitlisted.

The only other time I've seen this situation is during IRROPS when AA will double book me in order to protect me, but its usually another flight in that situation.

Last edited by Ross0; Sep 19, 2011 at 9:54 am
Old Sep 19, 2011, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Ross0
I'm worried that something is screwed up and that I'm not properly waitlisted.

The only other time I've seen this situation is during IRROPS when AA will double book me in order to protect me, but its usually another flight in that situation.
No need to worry, it is normal. I don't know exactly when AA implemented this, but I have seen on several itineraries recently and all went smoothly. There were no problems or glitches with the itinerary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.