Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2012, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
The current version of this thread can be found here:

FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade / SWU / eVIP / VIP? (Master thread)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2012, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by smashr
Any recommendations for TATL routes which historically have confirmable C space in advance? Looking at a potential end of year MR, and would prefer not to sweat out the upgrade(s).

Thanks!
Originally Posted by Ross0
NRT and SCL generally have decent C space.
Not exactly TATL
Old Oct 1, 2012, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by MauiTigerShark
Not exactly TATL
True.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA PP, Hilton/MR Gold
Not exactly TATL
Yea, was decently aware of the the TPAC routes having decent confirmable upgrades, but I don't need quite that many miles and that would mean more time away from the family...
Old Oct 2, 2012, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ross0
NRT and SCL generally have decent C space.
Not exactly TATL
Yea, was decently aware of the the TPAC routes having decent confirmable upgrades, but I don't need quite that many miles and that would mean more time away from the family...
NRT and SCL may not be exactly TATL, but neither is SCL a TPAC route! It's north-south!

And that's an illustration of a general point: Confirmable-at-booking C availability to various places in South America (you don't have to go as far as SCL) tends to better than on TATL routes.

So I suggest you look into South America as an option to TATL. (I do understand that from IAD TPAC is much further.)

Have you looked at the daytime JFK-LHR flight? (Can you connect to it from IAD without overnighting at JFK?) Daytime flights often are more likely to have C, in my experience, than overnight flights.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA PP, Hilton/MR Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
NRT and SCL may not be exactly TATL, but neither is SCL a TPAC route! It's north-south!

And that's an illustration of a general point: Confirmable-at-booking C availability to various places in South America (you don't have to go as far as SCL) tends to better than on TATL routes.

So I suggest you look into South America as an option to TATL. (I do understand that from IAD TPAC is much further.)

Have you looked at the daytime JFK-LHR flight? (Can you connect to it from IAD without overnighting at JFK?) Daytime flights often are more likely to have C, in my experience, than overnight flights.
Good point on SCL! I'll admit, I didn't recognize it offhand.

I actually was on the daytime JFK-LHR flight in C 2 weeks ago (my first AA international flight ever). I can indeed connect to it via the 6am DCA-JFK. My SWU only cleared 2 days out though, and I know there was at least one very unhappy exp plat in coach. Granted that was on a Monday, I'd expect other days of the week to be a bit better.

I'm somewhat partial to TATL, because I'd like to include a couple hours in the BA T5 first lounge as part of this MR -- was really impressed with it on my recent trip through.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:00 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
How successful have you been with that of late? Booking how far in advance and to what destinations?

When I was looking for a flight (to almost anywhere in Europe that AA flies) for September back in June/July, I couldn't find upgrade space to anywhere in Europe before booking. (I did note that there was upgrade space available to Japan, but I didn't want to get there this time.)

So while that is my goal too, what am I supposed to do, stop traveling because AA has severly cut back on upgrade space being issued well in advance?
I usually book discount business (on a simple round-trip, an I fare; on a RTW it books into D) and so am looking for an SWU upgrade to first (which books into A). I try to book 330 days out, and usually LAX-LHR or LAX/ORD/DFW to NRT (I've done JFK-NRT but that ended, and I've also done ORD-PEK and LAX-PVG). Once in a while I'll book at very short notice, usually when hunting for a status run near the end of the year, and those times I'll purchase either a cheap I fare or even discount coach and look for C space. I've had success at those (both finding discount fares and upgrade space) right around Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I think AA has cut way back on award space, and to a lesser extent, upgrade space. I say this because I'll see flights in EF with no Z or U space but with C or A space.

Actually, that's J to F on AA. C is the upgrade inventory, and you can't double upgrade (and C to F would be a double upgrade, since if you have C that means you've already upgraded to Business from Coach).

(I do realize that what AA calls J some other airlines do call C.)
In my case it's more likely I->F or D->F, since I'm not the sort to book J. But people here tend to use J (and even C) as short-hand for the business cabin. I apologize if my sloppiness confused you.

LAX-LHR (136/137) has seemed very short of C inventory compared to last year. Yes, it could be that someone's grabbing the inventory before EF performs its scheduled searches but I doubt it. I think AA is just loading less C inventory, presumably because they doing a better job of selling premium tickets (or at least believe they have a better chance of selling them than in the past). The new planes may have something to do with this...perhaps they think that the new premium cabins will sell more premium seats?
I think the new planes is a huge factor.

Any recommendations for TATL routes which historically have confirmable C space in advance? Looking at a potential end of year MR, and would prefer not to sweat out the upgrade(s).
Best is to hunt with EF, 330 days out and as close in as you can, and be very flexible with dates and routes. I suspect JFK-xxx will have better availability, but personally I hate that route (an overnight flight that's far too short to sleep).
Old Oct 3, 2012, 4:02 am
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP (15yrs) 3+MM , exDLPlt, exCOPlt, Cruiseaholic (250+)
I don't think they are releasing seats like they used to (perhaps because of all the IRROPS?). Six days away from taking AA78- still waiting for SWU's that have been waitlisted forever. EXP desk says J cabin only half booked. Usually clears a lot earlier than this.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 5:04 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by MiamiFlyer
I don't think they are releasing seats like they used to (perhaps because of all the IRROPS?). Six days away from taking AA78- still waiting for SWU's that have been waitlisted forever. EXP desk says J cabin only half booked. Usually clears a lot earlier than this.
Been like that for about a year now, loads are up and early 'C' release is down as they are apparently managing to sell more than they used to in J. It isn't award tickets either.

You'll see more activity in the last 48 hours.

As usual, track what they are still trying to sell in J, rather than empty seats, for the best guide to the chances of clearing.

Last edited by Mark_T; Oct 3, 2012 at 5:31 am
Old Oct 8, 2012, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; UA 1K
Has anyone had any trouble using a SWU on an AA Vacations itinerary? Specifically, an 'S' fare. I imagine there would be no problem since 'S' is an eligible fare class to accrue mileage, but have no direct experience upgrading tickets bought via AA Vacations. Thanks.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
Expert Flyer shows A3, but put on waitlist.

I am looking to use miles (15K + $75) to upgrade AA223 from BOS to LAX on 11/18. Expert Flyer shows A3. I called to purchase the upgrade, as I have in the past, and have always got the upgrade over the phone.

Today, when I called, I am told that I will be put on the waitlist. I will be mixed in with all the other upgrades and if my upgrade clears (depending on where I fall on the list), then I will be charged the credit card/miles and upgraded.

When did this change? I have been able to upgrade BOS to LAX with out issues over the phone if there was "A" inventory. But not in this case.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by jbdk
I am looking to use miles (15K + $75) to upgrade AA223 from BOS to LAX on 11/18. Expert Flyer shows A3. I called to purchase the upgrade, as I have in the past, and have always got the upgrade over the phone.

Today, when I called, I am told that I will be put on the waitlist. I will be mixed in with all the other upgrades and if my upgrade clears (depending on where I fall on the list), then I will be charged the credit card/miles and upgraded.

When did this change? I have been able to upgrade BOS to LAX with out issues over the phone if there was "A" inventory. But not in this case.
AFAIK things haven't changed and you should be able to confirm the upgrade right now. I'd call back and speak to another AAgent.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by britenbsas
I'd call back and speak to another AAgent.
+1
Old Oct 16, 2012, 3:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by britenbsas
AFAIK things haven't changed and you should be able to confirm the upgrade right now. I'd call back and speak to another AAgent.
I had the exact same thing happen to me a couple of days ago: my flight had gone down to A1 and it was less than 24 hours before departure. I called the EXP desk and clearly explained that I wanted to use miles and copay, and she said there was no availability. I clarified that I saw A inventory, but she said she couldn't see "upgrade inventory" (didn't clarify to me what exactly she was looking at). I said "thanks for your help" and let her go, then immediately called back and spoke to someone else at the EXP desk. She instantly told me she saw inventory and would get me going; after holding for about 5 minutes, she had a seat selected and my card number taken for the copay, and less than an hour later I was reticketed.

Long story short: if you see A inventory when searching segment-by-segment (remember that upgrades do not benefit from married segment logic) and are told you cannot upgrade into it, hang up and call back.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 7:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by Microwave
I had the exact same thing happen to me a couple of days ago: my flight had gone down to A1 and it was less than 24 hours before departure. I called the EXP desk and clearly explained that I wanted to use miles and copay, and she said there was no availability. I clarified that I saw A inventory, but she said she couldn't see "upgrade inventory" (didn't clarify to me what exactly she was looking at). I said "thanks for your help" and let her go, then immediately called back and spoke to someone else at the EXP desk. She instantly told me she saw inventory and would get me going; after holding for about 5 minutes, she had a seat selected and my card number taken for the copay, and less than an hour later I was reticketed.

Long story short: if you see A inventory when searching segment-by-segment (remember that upgrades do not benefit from married segment logic) and are told you cannot upgrade into it, hang up and call back.
There are a bunch of new EXP agents and needless to say, some of them are utter disasters. The other day I had an EXP agent who could not locate a passenger on a flight even after I gave her all of the relevant information.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:17 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by sukn
There are a bunch of new EXP agents and needless to say, some of them are utter disasters.
Are the new EXP agents to replace those from Tucson who were unable to move to Dallas?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.