Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2012, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
The current version of this thread can be found here:

FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade / SWU / eVIP / VIP? (Master thread)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Originally Posted by anabolism
I rarely try to change seats post-OLCI, but I know I did it a few years ago, and I just tried it now, for a flight tomorrow, that I checked-in for earlier today (and printed BPs). I didn't actually change my seats, but it let me see the seat map, showed me which seats I could pick, and had a "submit" button to confirm changes.
Originally Posted by hillrider
Thanks for letting me know. Nice that they fixed it (thanks Maya, I know it's you!); I will restart OLCIng then!
As I remember correctly, after OLCI I didn't see an error until

1) select another seat
or
2) execute "submit"

So I think we can always see a seat map(with submit button) whether we can change seat or not.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by supergrandslam
As I remember correctly, after OLCI I didn't see an error until

1) select another seat
or
2) execute "submit"

So I think we can always see a seat map(with submit button) whether we can change seat or not.
You may be right, I wouldn't know. I did try to pick a different seat, and that went fine for both flights, and I did hit "submit" and that was also fine, but I had picked my original seat again before, so if your "or" is really an "and" then I didn't test that case. But there was no error as written with "or."

Also, I think if you're an AC member, you can call the AC (800) number and they can change seats (but they have limited hours). Maybe the EXP desk can too?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, I think if you're an AC member, you can call the AC (800) number and they can change seats (but they have limited hours). Maybe the EXP desk can too?
AC stopped doing that (too many requests?) a while back (2+ years?). EXP agents don't have the sign-ins to do gate control operations.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 7:14 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
How new is this? I guess I wouldn't know, as I've stopped doing OLCI unless I have my absolute favorite seat because of the confirmed lack of ability to change seats in the old days.
I do that on domestic since check-in time doesn't matter. But, since it does matter for SWU, I do like to OLCI at 24 hours (even given the seat selection problems) to increase chances if not cleared at T-24. Fortunately, this has happened (not upgraded at T-24) to us more than a couple of times.

Cheers.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:39 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
AC stopped doing that (too many requests?) a while back (2+ years?).
I know that individual AC clubs stopped taking inbound calls a few years back, with all inbound calls now going to a central number. But, my recollection is that one of the options at that number is day-of-departure stuff.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I rarely try to change seats post-OLCI, but I know I did it a few years ago, and I just tried it now, for a flight tomorrow, that I checked-in for earlier today (and printed BPs). I didn't actually change my seats, but it let me see the seat map, showed me which seats I could pick, and had a "submit" button to confirm changes.
If you had gone a step further it would have ignored the new seat and left you where you were. Once checked in you have to be at the airport to make any seat changes.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 8:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Can you call to apply a SWU while the reservation is still in Purchase or do you need to wait to actually ticketed. Also, I crossed over the 100EQM mark with a Friday evening flight to requalify for EXP but the SWUs have not shown up yet. Will AA advance me the SWUs?
Old Sep 23, 2012, 9:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Can you call to apply a SWU while the reservation is still in Purchase or do you need to wait to actually ticketed. Also, I crossed over the 100EQM mark with a Friday evening flight to requalify for EXP but the SWUs have not shown up yet. Will AA advance me the SWUs?
eVIPs can be applied to held or ticketed reservations but not to purchased reservations. However an agent can manually push through the ticketing.

Sure they can advance you an eVIP and let your balance go negative. However will they do it for you? They may or they may not. Call and ask and see what happens.

The eVIP will show up in your account within a week, most likely sometime on Monday.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 2:17 am

Is anyone else having trouble using evips? Have tried to use them for several Europe trips recently (lhr,mad,mxp) and have been unable to be confirmed and ridden in Y. It being September I'd think things would have slowed down. Guess Aa is making good money upfront though! however what's the point of flying Aa if you can't ever use your evips?

On a sidenote when my friend checked in she was told there were 28 people on the upgrade list back from mxp. Guess one fifth of a plane is exp these days!
Old Sep 24, 2012, 5:41 am

Programs: AA EP/4MM, DL GM/1MM, HH ♦, Bonvoy LT PLT, Hyatt Globalist, AMEX Bus Plt
Originally Posted by CityFlyerNYC
Is anyone else having trouble using evips?
Yes. Earlier this month wife and I (both EXP) put in for an upgrade DFW-CDG seven months prior with no luck.

We were barely upgraded LHR-DFW on the return. Monitored EF for the trip.

Something has definately changed this year vs the last few. More eVIP's around and/or selling more J seats I guess.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:24 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Even though the SWUs had not yet been deposited into my account as of this morning the great EXP TA told me she would make it her highest priority to apply the SWUs anyway. At least someone at AA is trying to make EXPs happy.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by texmanufan
More eVIP's around
You mean, the boat load of FREE eVIPS AA gave away to UA status matchers?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 3:17 pm

I also would be curious to get people's take on the airport list with eVips. As I understand it the eVIP request does not stay in the system for the airport list and you have to have them put you on the airport list. Is that right? Sometimes agents seem hesitant to do it making me think more than once my name has not been added to the list.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
Originally Posted by texmanufan
Yes. Earlier this month wife and I (both EXP) put in for an upgrade DFW-CDG seven months prior with no luck.

We were barely upgraded LHR-DFW on the return. Monitored EF for the trip.

Something has definately changed this year vs the last few. More eVIP's around and/or selling more J seats I guess.
A little different experience here but it definitely is tougher this year than past years.. PSP-DFW-MAD.Sept 1 and Sept 19. SWU did not clear OB PSP-DFW but 500 mile certs did for Plat SO. Got to DFW gate after boarding started and we were NOT on UG list so I assumed (wrongly) that we had cleared. Spoke to agent who added us to list while the list showed 12 waiting for UG (we became 1 and 2 on list) and we cleared mid way thru boarding (last 2 seats). On return we cleared 4 days early with cabin showing 14 seats available. Flight departed MAD full in J. Guess they must have sold a few in last days.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know that individual AC clubs stopped taking inbound calls a few years back, with all inbound calls now going to a central number. But, my recollection is that one of the options at that number is day-of-departure stuff.
That number used to do seat changes, but then they stopped. That when I stopped doing OLCI (technically I still do it, but when approaching the airport or walking from the parking garage to the terminal), so if they restored that function I wouldn't know (it was a hassle anyway).

It's just silly that an HTML-driven kiosk can change your seats, while an HTML-driven website can't. Incredibly poor non-customer-centric system design.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.