Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2012, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
The current version of this thread can be found here:

FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade / SWU / eVIP / VIP? (Master thread)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2012, 1:02 am

Programs: AA, SPG, Hh, Amex MR, Marriott, ICH, VA, CC, LH
e VIP

Originally Posted by beerup
One for up to three legs on AA metal as long as there is not a turnaround in direction (i.e., not backtracking from eastward to westward, or southward the northward). Connecting from a South America flight to a Europe-bound flight in DFW, MIA or JFK shouldn't be a problem.

Zones for award upgrades don't come into it (e.g., I have upgraded NRT-JFK-LHR on a single SWU).
Great, thanks for your help.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Re-ticketing when upgrade clears on a subsequent flight

I know that when an upgrade clears the itinerary is re-ticketed and the SWU is pulled and shown as "used".

If a second or third flight in an itinerary subsequently clears as part of the same one-way trip (ie using the same SWU) does the itinerary get re-ticketed again and a new ticket number issued even though there's no additional SWU being used?

Thanks.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I have an international flight waitlisted for an SWU upgrade in about a month. Normally they don't upgrade the domestic segments until the international portion clears, but at least one domestic flight (JFK-AUS) is filling up in F and it is long enough that I would not consider the SWU wasted if LHR-JFK did not clear.

So... If I get them to upgrade JFK-AUS, I assume I will still be on the waitlist for LHR-JFK. Does this reset my spot in the waitlist for LHR-JFK or will the upgrade request time stay the same (about a month ago)?
Old Aug 2, 2012, 3:59 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Stripe
I have an international flight waitlisted for an SWU upgrade in about a month. Normally they don't upgrade the domestic segments until the international portion clears, but at least one domestic flight (JFK-AUS) is filling up in F and it is long enough that I would not consider the SWU wasted if LHR-JFK did not clear.

So... If I get them to upgrade JFK-AUS, I assume I will still be on the waitlist for LHR-JFK. Does this reset my spot in the waitlist for LHR-JFK or will the upgrade request time stay the same (about a month ago)?
All will remain the same if they upgrade the domestic segment first. Of course, you realize that, if LHR-JFK never clears, the SWU will have been used only for JFK-AUS and will be gone, yes?

Cheers.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by brp
All will remain the same if they upgrade the domestic segment first. Of course, you realize that, if LHR-JFK never clears, the SWU will have been used only for JFK-AUS and will be gone, yes?

Cheers.
Yes. My wife will be with me and if LHR-JFK doesn't clear I had better have a first class seat for her for the following flight. Otherwise it will be "so much for your big status". (Actually, I'll probably get that anyway.)
Old Aug 2, 2012, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Last April, I flew NRT-LAX-BOS. The NRT-LAX leg cleared 1 week before and the LAX-BOS cleared 2-3 days before. I think theres a good chance the domestic leg will clear. You'll be ahead of all the EXPs getting comp upgrades. Also, there will be cancellations in 1st before departure.

Originally Posted by Stripe

Old Aug 3, 2012, 6:07 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by eethan
Last April, I flew NRT-LAX-BOS. The NRT-LAX leg cleared 1 week before and the LAX-BOS cleared 2-3 days before. I think theres a good chance the domestic leg will clear. You'll be ahead of all the EXPs getting comp upgrades.
I've read that before, though I believe the waitlists for A and X are completely separate and don't talk to each other. The one and only time I allowed myself to be waitlisted for A on a domestic segment after clearing the international it came down to the gate, with plenty of F inventory before the 100 hour window opened. I'll never let them do it again--I ask to stay on the sticker upgrade list and tend to clear those quite frequently.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 7:42 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Microwave
I've read that before, though I believe the waitlists for A and X are completely separate and don't talk to each other. The one and only time I allowed myself to be waitlisted for A on a domestic segment after clearing the international it came down to the gate, with plenty of F inventory before the 100 hour window opened. I'll never let them do it again--I ask to stay on the sticker upgrade list and tend to clear those quite frequently.
Definitely separate inventories. I would surmise, though, that A is available at least as commonly as X, and generally moreso, so the waitlisted SWU will still likely clear first.

Cheers.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Originally Posted by Microwave
Originally Posted by brp
Definitely separate inventories. I would surmise, though, that A is available at least as commonly as X, and generally moreso, so the waitlisted SWU will still likely clear first.

Cheers.
In terms of earning RDM, best scenario is
  • At first, EXP comp upgrade for domestic legs clears
  • Then eVIP clears for international legs
  • Then eVIP clears for domestic legs (from X to A)

If above happens, I always got additional 25% RDM bonus from domestic legs
Old Aug 3, 2012, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by supergrandslam
In terms of earning RDM, best scenario is
  • At first, EXP comp upgrade for domestic legs clears
  • Then eVIP clears for international legs
  • Then eVIP clears for domestic legs (from X to A)

If above happens, I always got additional 25% RDM bonus from domestic legs
The scenario you describe happened for me this week. I did not get any RDM bonus for the domestic legs. I have never gotten any RDM bonus from this happening.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
As I have a companion on the same PNR, if I requested the sticker upgrade then I would lose the stickers if the X upgrade cleared before the A upgrade. I don't want that. But I would certainly be miffed if we were waitlisted for an A upgrade using the SWU and X upgrades cleared before us.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 11:08 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Using swu to upgrade a family member

My itin: SFO-xLAX-xJFK-BCN (NO stopping at LAX & JFK). SWU upgrade cleared at time of booking.
Family member itin: LAX-xJFK-BCN (NO stopping at JFK; same date and flight #s as above; this itin was linked to mine, but on different PNR). SWU upgrade was cleared only for LAX-xJFK leg; waitlisted on JFK-BCN leg. NOTE: family member has no AA status.

At time of booking family member’s ticket, EF showed upgrade avail. AA still put this upgrade on Waitlist. Called EXP desk couple of times hence, but to no avail.

Question: any other steps I should take to get family member upgrade cleared?
Old Aug 3, 2012, 11:24 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Originally Posted by gemac
The scenario you describe happened for me this week. I did not get any RDM bonus for the domestic legs. I have never gotten any RDM bonus from this happening.
Only me?
I have never missed this mysterious 25% bonus RDM for domestic legs if this happend.
The key is clearing EXP comp UG first(to X) then followed by eVIP UG(to A).
If eVIP UG clears first, this 25% RDM has never posted.

This happpened at least 3 times(may be 4) since 2010.
Last time I got this 25% RDM was last Oct from RDU-DFW.
(The bonus miles I got was 1,328 that is 125%(including 100% elite bonus) of base mile(1,062) for RDU-DFW)

Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to get this bonus this year as I stopped gambling on eVIP except for JFK-LHR/LHR-JFK(no domestic legs on AA).
Old Aug 5, 2012, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by allset2travel
My itin: SFO-xLAX-xJFK-BCN (NO stopping at LAX & JFK). SWU upgrade cleared at time of booking.
Family member itin: LAX-xJFK-BCN (NO stopping at JFK; same date and flight #s as above; this itin was linked to mine, but on different PNR). SWU upgrade was cleared only for LAX-xJFK leg; waitlisted on JFK-BCN leg. NOTE: family member has no AA status.

At time of booking family member’s ticket, EF showed upgrade avail. AA still put this upgrade on Waitlist. Called EXP desk couple of times hence, but to no avail.

Question: any other steps I should take to get family member upgrade cleared?
Just trying to understand: when you booked, EF showed C >= 2 for JFK-BCN, but still waitlisted your family member?

if EF showed C1 for JFK-BCN, one option would have been to tell the agent to use the C1 for your family member, and wiatlist you. As an EXP you'll have higher status. Also, the agent may have been able to request that RM release an extra C seat for you to complete the party. You can still call back and ask the agent to try that.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by supergrandslam
Only me?
I have never missed this mysterious 25% bonus RDM for domestic legs if this happend.
The key is clearing EXP comp UG first(to X) then followed by eVIP UG(to A).
If eVIP UG clears first, this 25% RDM has never posted.
My EXP comp UG to first on the domestic leg happened on Saturday, July 28 (100 hours out). The eVIP UG on the international leg happened on Tuesday, July 31 (23 hours out). Flight was Wednesday, Aug. 1. No extra 25% bonus RDM. This has happened to me several times over the last few years, and I've never gotten the bonus.

Not saying it's just you, but it's certainly not universal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.