Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2012, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
The current version of this thread can be found here:

FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade / SWU / eVIP / VIP? (Master thread)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by anabolism
Are the new EXP agents to replace those from Tucson who were unable to move to Dallas?
Well, the goal is to add nearly a 1000 new agents, which is a much larger number than what the Tuscon office represented. The CK desk would expand by 100 agents to bring that total to about 250.

So AA either wants to reduce hold times or has significant expansion plans on the horizon, not to mention the possibility of expanding the CK ranks.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 7+ million miles
So, my question is, being platinum with just over 7 million lifetime miles, why did I get 4 swu's for the first time this year? Why didn't I get more if there's supposed to be one for every million crossed? And finally, is this a one time thing for me unless I cross 8 million?
Old Oct 21, 2012, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by randapex
So, my question is, being platinum with just over 7 million lifetime miles, why did I get 4 swu's for the first time this year? Why didn't I get more if there's supposed to be one for every million crossed? And finally, is this a one time thing for me unless I cross 8 million?
You did get them each time you crossed a million mile marker starting with the 2 million mark. You just didn't know you had them. Sadly, I know of more than one elite who was ignorant on the subject until it was too late.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HYATT DIA
Its is only in the last couple of years we could see the number of SWUs online; otherwise you had to keep track of them yourselves or call to check how many you had. That being said, some elites never new they had any, especially the million mile thresholds.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA has always notified everyone with nice congratulatory letters (now emails) at each MM threshold passing telling you about the SWUs and even containing a pretty exhaustive fine print about them. There's no need for FT.

People who don't pay attention to their mail pay for it.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:53 pm

Well, that is dissapointing to find out now. Wow...Thanks for the explantions. I read that stuff pretty closely, I'm not saying I didn't receive those letters as I do recall the congratulations as I passed, but I'm really surprised I didn't notice the swu as at 7 million miles, that's quite a few times to miss them. One or two times maybe but 7? Guess my Grandpa was right...
Old Oct 22, 2012, 6:45 am

Programs: AA ExP, DL Diamond, AF Plat, AS 75K, Hertz #1 Gold, National Executive, SPG Gold
transfer? I didn't know this can be done. Or it's just "using it on someone's reservation"
Old Oct 22, 2012, 7:31 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by randapex
Well, that is dissapointing to find out now. Wow...Thanks for the explantions. I read that stuff pretty closely, I'm not saying I didn't receive those letters as I do recall the congratulations as I passed, but I'm really surprised I didn't notice the swu as at 7 million miles, that's quite a few times to miss them. One or two times maybe but 7? Guess my Grandpa was right...
Assuming that you have a US address, you wouldn't get them at 1MM, so you really only missed it 5 times since you seem to have caught the 7MM offering

Cheers.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 8:32 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
I waded through the 96 pages of the closed thread and think I understand it but would like some feedback.

Scenario: SEA-ORD-PVG in 1 week. Possibly 2 C and 2 F seats open so doubtful it'll clear until day of departure. I'm currently waitlisted to upgrade Y > C with a SWU. SEA departure day before and will check-in at airport ~ 22 hours before the ORD-PVG flight.

Questions:

1. SWU upgrade priority by thru passenger and then time of check-in?

2. If I check-in 24 hours prior to the ORD-PVG departure I should be 1st on the upgrade list? And I have to ask to be placed on the list?

3. I've never been able to do OLCI with a destination that requires a visa. Is this still true?

Thanks
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by brp
Assuming that you have a US address, you wouldn't get them at 1MM, so you really only missed it 5 times since you seem to have caught the 7MM offering

Cheers.
Yep,
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
Yes.
2. If I check-in 24 hours prior to the ORD-PVG departure I should be 1st on the upgrade list? And I have to ask to be placed on the list?
Yes, amongst those passengers originating at the same airport as you, and yes, at the airport.
3. I've never been able to do OLCI with a destination that requires a visa. Is this still true?
Sorry, don't know.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by hillrider
Yes.
Yes, amongst those passengers originating at the same airport as you, and yes, at the airport.
Sorry, don't know.
Thanks. Your perspective is always appreciated. OLCI would only be 2 hours earlier so I'll plan on getting at the airport sooner. Too bad the SEA AC is long departed but I do have some free UA club passes. :-)

Although, here's an interesting thought. I can check-in 24 hours in advance of the domestic (SEA-ORD) flight and 24 hours before the international (ORD-PVG). Would the upgrade list start at the domestic time or the international - meaning can they put you on the airport list more than 24 hours from the international departure? A number of years ago there was a way they could manipulate the computer date and check-in someone that was more than 24 hours from departure time. Essentially, I would be checking in 46 hours before the international segment.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, AA 3MM EXP
How soon, after making EXP, do the SWUs show up in the account? I have a 1 week trip coming up and will make it on the first leg. For the return, do I have a shot to use one of them? Thanks.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by gozetta
How soon, after making EXP, do the SWUs show up in the account? I have a 1 week trip coming up and will make it on the first leg. For the return, do I have a shot to use one of them? Thanks.
It can take up to a week. I believe the database is usually updated on Mondays.

You could always call the EXP desk and ask if you can go negative on the balance -- since they can see your AAdvantage account and verify that you have already qualified and are simply waiting for the eVIPs to be deposited.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 3:17 am

I waded through the 96 pages of the closed thread and think I understand it but would like some feedback.

Scenario: SEA-ORD-PVG in 1 week. Possibly 2 C and 2 F seats open so doubtful it'll clear until day of departure. I'm currently waitlisted to upgrade Y > C with a SWU. SEA departure day before and will check-in at airport ~ 22 hours before the ORD-PVG flight.

Questions:

Thanks
Update: I did get to SEA early to be added to the airport list about 24 hours in advance of the ORD-PVG and good thing I did as there was only 1 seat left and I was number 1 on the upgrade list. Every seat was occupied and it looked pretty miserable in coach.

OLCI didn't work which I suspect was the visa issue.

Thanks FT! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.