Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2012, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
The current version of this thread can be found here:

FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade / SWU / eVIP / VIP? (Master thread)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:31 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by earny
Is it possible to use a SWU on an IB ticket but segment is on AA metal if I was able to get the AA PNR?
Meaning that it's an IB flight number? If so, the marketed and operated rules clearly indicate that this is not permitted.

Cheers.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by brp
Originally Posted by earny
Is it possible to use a SWU on an IB ticket but segment is on AA metal if I was able to get the AA PNR?
Meaning that it's an IB flight number? If so, the marketed and operated rules clearly indicate that this is not permitted.

Cheers.
Thanks. I believe it is an IB flight so no go.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 8:35 am

Programs: AA EXP
If you are waitlisted for an SWU upgrade (int. J) on a flight departing within 24 hours, does the system immediately grab the C inventory as soon as becomes available, or is there a lag?

For example, I am looking at AA78 DFW-LHR departing at 8PM. It just switched over from J3 C0 to J2 C1 stayed that way for ~30 minutes then went to J2 C0. I can't imagine that no one is waiting on an upgrade for such a popular route on a flight with such a small J cabin.

The reason why I ask is that if there is a lag in the system, someone would be able to "jump the queue" and steal an upgrade by watching EF and calling reservations. This means that if I'm waitlisting I have to remember to keep watching EF to make sure this does not happen.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 8:48 am

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by norf9
If you are waitlisted for an SWU upgrade (int. J) on a flight departing within 24 hours, does the system immediately grab the C inventory as soon as becomes available, or is there a lag?

For example, I am looking at AA78 DFW-LHR departing at 8PM. It just switched over from J3 C0 to J2 C1 stayed that way for ~30 minutes then went to J2 C0. I can't imagine that no one is waiting on an upgrade for such a popular route on a flight with such a small J cabin.

The reason why I ask is that if there is a lag in the system, someone would be able to "jump the queue" and steal an upgrade by watching EF and calling reservations. This means that if I'm waitlisting I have to remember to keep watching EF to make sure this does not happen.
No way to prove it, but I believe you can jump the queue. I suspect I have personally jumped the waitlist on the same route, among others. I decided at the last minute to get an upgrade, got an EF alert, saw that two seats were open, quickly called AA and had the upgrade processed for one seat. Shortly afterwards, C2 went to C0. There is the chance that nobody was on the waitlist, but I doubt it.

I have also been told that there is a waitlist and there are other people in front of me. Depends on the agent you get.

Edit: I just thought that the way to prove it would be to call back when told there is a waitlist to see if another agent will push it through. Have to remember that for next time.

Last edited by umaa83; Jan 11, 2013 at 8:56 am
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I called today to try to use 2 SWUs that expire 2/28/2013 for my friend's trip in April. There was availability, but the EXP desk said it would have to come from my 2014 SWUs.

Is this a new policy? I thought as long as you can confirm by 2/28/2013, you can use the 2013 ones.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:32 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krazieman
I called today to try to use 2 SWUs that expire 2/28/2013 for my friend's trip in April. There was availability, but the EXP desk said it would have to come from my 2014 SWUs.

Is this a new policy? I thought as long as you can confirm by 2/28/2013, you can use the 2013 ones.
No, it is not a new policy. The part you thought has never been official policy. In a few years they made explicit exceptions. But this has never been policy on a regular basis. What you were told is, and has been, policy.

Cheers.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Avis First
Originally Posted by brp
The belief (and this is based on the way things had worked in the past, and may still....but I can't confirm) is that it doesn't matter which SWUs you attach to the reservation. As long as it confirms the SWU use prior to the expiration, the "system" will pull the old ones automatically.

Cheers.
Originally Posted by brp
No, it is not a new policy. The part you thought has never been official policy. In a few years they made explicit exceptions. But this has never been policy on a regular basis. What you were told is, and has been, policy.

Cheers.

So I'm confused. I have 2 SWUs left expiring 2013, and 8 SWUs expiring 2014. If I booked a trip before the end of February which has available C inventory at time of booking, but it departs in April, it will pull the old expiring ones, or the new ones?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 2:23 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FXEpilot77
So I'm confused. I have 2 SWUs left expiring 2013, and 8 SWUs expiring 2014. If I booked a trip before the end of February which has available C inventory at time of booking, but it departs in April, it will pull the old expiring ones, or the new ones?
This is a conflict between the policy and what the system seems to do. The policy is that it should pull the new ones. The system, though, seems to pull from the earliest that are there, so the older ones. and this even happens when agents say that the new ones will be pulled.

It's a question of how much you want to rely on the system to continue doing the wrong thing

Cheers.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Avis First
Originally Posted by brp
This is a conflict between the policy and what the system seems to do. The policy is that it should pull the new ones. The system, though, seems to pull from the earliest that are there, so the older ones. and this even happens when agents say that the new ones will be pulled.

It's a question of how much you want to rely on the system to continue doing the wrong thing

Cheers.
Ahh thanks for the clarification. Was debating about booking a more circuitous routing that would immediately clear, or direct that would be waitlisted and would likely not clear until after Feb 28th. I guess the circuitous routing is worth it if there's a chance I'll keep the extra SWUs, and even if it doesn't, at least I don't have to stress over whether or not they'll clear.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 6:43 am

Programs: AA EXP SPG Gld Marriott Gld Kimpton Inner Cir
Tips on how to best use SWUs

Newly minted EXP with 8 of these mythical SWUs I've only ever heard about. Searched but didn't really find any comprehensive tips for how to maximizes use of these gems. For instance, assuming I wanted to use 4 of these for a trip to Europe (personal) later in the year, September or October, what's the best way to try to ensure I'll get the benefit of them. Should I book early and request upgrade? Is there a rate / fare code I can book (short of full Y/B) that will enhance my chances of an early confirmation? Live in Miami, but my likely traveling companion NYC based. Is upgrading out of NYC based stations likely to be more difficult to where should shoot for a MIA departure?

Any advice/insight appreciated.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by MIA4278
Newly minted EXP with 8 of these mythical SWUs I've only ever heard about. Searched but didn't really find any comprehensive tips for how to maximizes use of these gems. For instance, assuming I wanted to use 4 of these for a trip to Europe (personal) later in the year, September or October, what's the best way to try to ensure I'll get the benefit of them. Should I book early and request upgrade? Is there a rate / fare code I can book (short of full Y/B) that will enhance my chances of an early confirmation? Live in Miami, but my likely traveling companion NYC based. Is upgrading out of NYC based stations likely to be more difficult to where should shoot for a MIA departure?

Any advice/insight appreciated.
There's a pretty comprehensive summary (re: fare codes, finding availability) on the FAQ upgrade.

If you know your travel dates, sooner is better. Also, don't forget about "expanded" upgrade availability for EXP. Don't hesitate to call AA and ask them to request add'l inventory (but perhaps not this am - given the weather in Dallas)
Old Jan 15, 2013, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP
SWU's from 2012 deducted from account for post-Feb. 2013 travel?

I've read through all the forums and have seen many comments about the use of expiring SWUs for travel after February. Many report that AA agents are being more vocal about the prior year ones not being applied to post-February 2013 travel.

Like many others, I've always strategically booked flights in the past years after February but made sure there was inventory for the SWU to clear at the time of booking, so it came from the old SWU allotment.

Yesterday I booked a round trip flight MIA-MAD-MIA in March and there was availability for all segments so I asked to apply SWUs. Today I see my reservation, and my seats are booked in Business, but my account has no SWUs deducted (from 2012 balances or the new 2013 ones). This makes me a bit nervous about having 2 old SWUs go to waste if they don't come from the old year. AA's policy clearly states that SWUs will be deducted once the seats are booked/confirmed, but the computer does not seem to be doing it (it has been about 19 hours since I booked the flights). Here is the wording from the AA website:

Q: Why does my Systemwide Upgrade Summary show upgrades under the "Used" column even though my trip is for a future date?
A: Systemwide upgrades are deducted from your account at the time your upgrade is confirmed and are, at that time, considered as "used".

I am thinking that maybe it takes their computer a day or two to deduct the SWUs after upgrades have cleared for future travel?

Here is the central question that will tell me how to proceed....

Has anyone had SWUs deducted from their 2012 SWU balances for travel AFTER Feb 28, 2013?

If so, I am ok as these will clear once the computer processes them. If not, I may have a couple of 2012 SWUs to give away to friends.

Marc
Old Jan 16, 2013, 4:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
eVips

Can an eVip applied to a PNR/flight been pulled back after it’s been confirmed?

Thanks!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by oneworld82
Can an eVip applied to a PNR/flight been pulled back after it’s been confirmed?

Thanks!

Yes. It can happen voluntarily or involuntarily. For a voluntary downgrade, simply call AA and ask. The eVIP will be restored to your account without fee, and you will be rebooked into the original purchased booking class, provided inventory is still available in that booking class.

In cases of involuntary downgrades, the eVIP will be restored to your account without fee, and you will be rebooked into any available booking class in the next class of service.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 5:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Yes. It can happen voluntarily or involuntarily. For a voluntary downgrade, simply call AA and ask. The eVIP will be restored to your account without fee, and you will be rebooked into the original purchased booking class, provided inventory is still available in that booking class.

In cases of involuntary downgrades, the eVIP will be restored to your account without fee, and you will be rebooked into any available booking class in the next class of service.
So if someone donate me (or if I donate someone) an eVip… that can be pulled off? Good to know thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.