Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2012, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
The current version of this thread can be found here:

FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade / SWU / eVIP / VIP? (Master thread)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2009, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by tom911
You can have it set up for the international segment to clear first so that won't happen. I've done that when the systemwide has several months left on it.
I have never tried that, but it's good to know it's possible to set it up that way.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 1:16 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Can all intnl fare classes be upgraded using systemwides?

Sorry for the uber noob question, but I've done a search and found conflicting answers:

Some people have posted that ANY paid intnl. fare can be upgraded with an EXP systemwide. Yet I've seen other posts in Mileage Run, for example, which say a Q fare to LatAm cannot be upgraded.

So, which is right?

EDITED: Oops, nevermind. I guess I didn't search well enough. Found my answer:

Upgrades are only valid on individual published-fare tickets. Upgrades are not applicable to AAdvantage travel awards; any free ticket; tickets booked in I or O Class; fares booked in Q between North America and Asia, Europe, India or South America; military or other government fares; opaque fares; infant tickets (including INF50 fares) or purchased extra seats.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 1:18 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by g_leyser
Some people have posted that ANY paid intnl. fare can be upgraded with an EXP systemwide. Yet I've seen other posts in Mileage Run, for example, which say a Q fare to LatAm cannot be upgraded.
It's all spelled out on page 15 of the EXP guide:
http://www.aa.com/content/images/AAd...mber_Guide.pdf
Old Mar 18, 2009, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by tom911
You can have it set up for the international segment to clear first so that won't happen. I've done that when the systemwide has several months left on it.
You rock. Thanks!

Mike
Old Apr 12, 2009, 11:49 pm

Location: Weekdays: LAX; Weekends (when not in a metal tube): LPC
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
earning more eVIPs

I'm hoping to make it to EPLT soon. And, I'm beginning to get curious about the perks involved.

The eVIPs look like a tremendous value. My question is what can you do to earn additional SWUs beyond the 8 you get for earning EPLT?

(Short of hitting 1MM with an international address.)

Thanks,

J
Old Apr 13, 2009, 2:45 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Only other ways I can think of are:

- Hit more million-mile marks
- If there's a promo like last year post-AADER
Old Apr 13, 2009, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by JY1024
Only other ways I can think of are:

- Hit more million-mile marks
- If there's a promo like last year post-AADER
One other way - earn 200,000 or 300,00 or (in my case several years) 400,000 miles and then send an email to AA requesting additional VIPs. They typically give 4 at the request and then hold 4 more if you need them.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 6:26 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by millionmiler
One other way - earn 200,000 or 300,00 or (in my case several years) 400,000 miles and then send an email to AA requesting additional VIPs. They typically give 4 at the request and then hold 4 more if you need them.
wow, 400k BIS miles in a year? I am impressed. did that involve a lot of TPAC's?
Old Apr 23, 2009, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Strategy for eVip clearing

Me and Mrs. Durden would like to go MIA-LHR next March in J. While the March flights haven't posted yet, flights in February are only showing C1 on EF, is the number of available upgrade tickets so low because the flight is so far out?

If so, here's my question...

You want to request upgrade as early as possible (in theory 330 days out) to be at the top of the list (within your elite status group), right? But the fares usually aren't the cheapest they're going to be that far out. So, do you wait to buy the ticket when the fare is better (say 90-120 day) and then get added to the list?

Just trying to see what folks have done in the past...
Old Apr 23, 2009, 8:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Your bigger risk buying this far out is a price drop, and AA no longer does free fare rollovers for when that happens. I'd hold out until October, at the earliest, when winter fares will be loaded, and then take a look at routings for March, even if it means going via JFK for availability.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 9:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543
Me and Mrs. Durden would like to go MIA-LHR next March in J. While the March flights haven't posted yet, flights in February are only showing C1 on EF, is the number of available upgrade tickets so low because the flight is so far out?

If so, here's my question...

You want to request upgrade as early as possible (in theory 330 days out) to be at the top of the list (within your elite status group), right? But the fares usually aren't the cheapest they're going to be that far out. So, do you wait to buy the ticket when the fare is better (say 90-120 day) and then get added to the list?

Just trying to see what folks have done in the past...
There's no way I would buy a flight that far in advance just to go on the waitlist for an upgrade. I ticketed my imminent EZE-LHR trip back in December because I could grab the upgrades for all segments at the time of booking. I decided I'd rather have the upgrades in the bag even though I knew the fare was probably going to drop in the months after purchase. As it turns out, the fare hasn't changed much at all so I've won this one but YMMV.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 7:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Thanks!

So, I'll keep an eye on fares throughout the summer. If something comes up at a reasonable fare, where I know I can get the upgrades immediately, then maybe I'll pounce! Otherwise, I'll wait until closer to the flight (October) to buy and join the waitlist.

Anyone know why EF only shows me two flights at a time? Is there a way to chsnge how many it shows?
Old Apr 29, 2009, 6:48 am

Programs: AA, FB, UA
Question re delays and reroute involving downgrade

I was recently on a flight from Europe to Chicago, and then had two more domestic segments--all upgraded with an evip. The transatlantic segment was delayed, I missed my connections, and AA rerouted me for the domestic segments on United--but in economy class. Any compensation, "part VIP" or anything else due back? If not, would that be true even if the reroute in economy had involved upgrading the domestic segments and flying economy international?
Old Apr 29, 2009, 7:57 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by neflyer13
I was recently on a flight from Europe to Chicago, and then had two more domestic segments--all upgraded with an evip. The transatlantic segment was delayed, I missed my connections, and AA rerouted me for the domestic segments on United--but in economy class. Any compensation, "part VIP" or anything else due back? If not, would that be true even if the reroute in economy had involved upgrading the domestic segments and flying economy international?
Nothing due. The SWU has been used. If the domestic had been upgraded, but not the international, it would be worth a call since these are usually used for the international segments. Of course, if they can schedule you (upgraded) on a later flight and you decline and go with economy on your flight, then likely nothing. Getting the international, but missing the domestic should yield nothing.

We actually had the other case- domestic upgraded, flight delayed 3 hours for mechanical, actually caught our international flight since it was delayed, but had lost the upgraded seats. We were covered on a 6-hour-later flight in J, but declined and took the earlier flight. Since these were going to expire and we had no need for them, I didn't call, but I might have otherwise.

Cheers.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA, FB, UA
Thanks brp...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.