Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2012, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
The current version of this thread can be found here:

FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade / SWU / eVIP / VIP? (Master thread)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2008, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
I tell my [husband], "Going with the Accidental Tourist is like going in a cocoon."
Old Apr 23, 2008, 3:42 am

Systemwide eVIP Upgrade

I am traveling from Chicago to New Delhi in June and have requested VIP upgrade to business class. I am currently on waitlist for both ways. I understand that AA confirms upgrades on international sectors few days before the date of travel.

Does someone has experience with upgrades on this route?

How long before the flight will I be able to confirm the upgrade?
Old Apr 23, 2008, 4:11 am

Programs: AA DL
C class

upgrades from coach to business book into "C" class. When C class availability (upgrade seat class availability) opens, your upgrade will clear. it could happen ANYTIME between now and the gate. The DEL routes are usually pretty packed with J and F cabin passengers because it is such a long flight.

Good Luck!
Old Apr 23, 2008, 4:48 am

Programs: AA EXP 0.8MM, Skyward, SPG Gold
There is no telling when the upgrade will be processed. You'll have to play the waiting game. A subscription to ExpertFlyer might give you some idea on how booked business is.

Welcome to FlyerTalk.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 5:23 am

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
ORD-DEL 09 Apr: Upgrades (2 of us travelling) cleared at ticketing, about 3 weeks in advance, thanks to my subscription to ExpertFlyer (my travel dates were flexible, so I picked a date w/ C availability).

DEL-ORD 20 Apr: Upgrades cleared the day before.

At DEL on 20 Apr an AAgent later told me that BIZ was overbooked! I offered to move into First if necessary. Didn't happen. But w/ the NGBC, ahhhhhh!!! So nice!!
Old Apr 23, 2008, 4:47 pm

Thanks to everyone who responded. I checked on AA.com and it is selling biz class seats for those dates. Does that mean that there is availability? I know airlines generally overbook so not sure how can one tell the availability. I am not a regular flyer so may be asking very basic questions.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 4:47 pm

How does ExpertFlyer work?
Old Apr 23, 2008, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by taru_komila
Thanks to everyone who responded. I checked on AA.com and it is selling biz class seats for those dates. Does that mean that there is availability?
Maybe, and maybe not.

AA will upgrade people when it is confident that it will not sell that seat for a business class fare. There's no way to predict when that will happen for you. Your upgrade will clear when (and if) it clears.

I know airlines generally overbook so not sure how can one tell the availability. I am not a regular flyer so may be asking very basic questions.
Generally, AA does not oversell business class.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by FWAAA
I hesitate to contradict you, but I think it's been established that AA does oversell J sometimes if F is wide open.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 6:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Pretty much like
http://seatcounter.com/
except it shows hidden fares classes. It also allows you to save transactions under one of the pricing plans. A lot of this should be covered on the free part of the site.

They'll give you a free trial if you e-mail and you can look yourself.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
It's very simple and easy to navigate, even for a non-techie like me.

EF shows flight availability and upgrade availability and much more. Just go to expertflyer.com and give it a try. You'll want to look for C availability on your flights.

They offer a 5 day trial membership, free of charge. After that membership can be purchased for either $4.99 for basic or $9.99 for premium service on month to month basis.

Edited to add: Well, I see the question has already been answered, but I worked so hard typing my post I'm ging to leave it.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vasantn
I hesitate to contradict you, but I think it's been established that AA does oversell J sometimes if F is wide open.
No worries, and you really didn't contradict me.

I agree with you - sometimes J will be oversold.

I just wanted to clarify for taru_komila that generally, AA doesn't oversell J. Sometimes they do.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 8:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Originally Posted by vasantn
Specifically, AA does oversell both F and J on the ORD-DEL route do to the high number of no-shows. I'm not sure of the numbers for F, but J is often oversold by four or five even while F is full or oversold.

On my last return from DEL, AA's premium coordinator, whom I met in person at check-in and spoke to at length, informed me that all three cabins were oversold that evening. A few days earlier, when I was speaking to the EXP desk, they had informed me that as of that moment J was oversold by five.

As it is, on this specific evening, the flight departed with one empty seat in F and two empty seats in J -- this despite having an upgrade list that went into double digits. This is chaos that is simply DEL.
Old May 7, 2008, 9:39 am

Programs: UA,DL,CZ
use evip to upgrade from economy to first

Is it OK to use two evip to upgrade from economy to first class? I did not find answer in the t&c of the evip.
Old May 7, 2008, 9:45 am

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
If the next class of service after economy is first, then yes but if it is business, then no. They can only be used to upgrade to the next class of service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.