Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Old Dec 4, 2012, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
The current version of this thread can be found here:

FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade / SWU / eVIP / VIP? (Master thread)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Old May 7, 2008, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Nope, not allowed, that's a double upgrade.

The only way you can upgrade into 3 class F would be to buy paid business (non I fare) and use your evip from that.
Old May 7, 2008, 10:46 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
RxCapthas the right prescription . An eVIP allows upgrade (when inventory is available and the purchased fare and is the correct one) to the next class of service. E.g. Eligible "Y" to three class / international Business or domestic / two class First.

The only possible exception is really not - when a three class 777 (or, theoretically, a 762,) is on a revenue-generating repositioning flight, it might be sold as two class, and elites using an upgrade to next class of service are often seated in F, as J has the seating, but only coach service.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 4:02 pm

Question eVIP waitlist when there are multiple routings

I just passed 2,000,000 miles (yay) and will have some eVIPs for the first time.

Trying to fly to NRT and no upgrades are available now for the selected dates, but they can be waitlisted. The problem is that there are several possible routings (via JFK, via DFW, via ORD, via LAX). If I want to book now on a non-refundable fare, it looks like I have to guess on which route will the upgrade clear. Switching to a different route would require change fees.

Am I correct here or is there some trick that I'm missing? Would an ExpertFlyer subscription help for this (versus just calling AA and asking)?
Old Sep 5, 2008, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by adzel
I just passed 2,000,000 miles (yay) and will have some eVIPs for the first time.

Trying to fly to NRT and no upgrades are available now for the selected dates, but they can be waitlisted. The problem is that there are several possible routings (via JFK, via DFW, via ORD, via LAX). If I want to book now on a non-refundable fare, it looks like I have to guess on which route will the upgrade clear. Switching to a different route would require change fees.

Am I correct here or is there some trick that I'm missing? Would an ExpertFlyer subscription help for this (versus just calling AA and asking)?
Yes, EF will help in so far as it will allow you to see the current loads, a flight that reads J7D7I7 has a lot of business class availability - and thus may increase your chances of an upgrade - than a flight that reads J2D0I0.

Also, check out the coach seat map for your flights before you book. Are 31 A/B and H/J (or whatever the other aisle/window pair) still available. If so then chances are that there aren't a lot of people ahead of you on the waitlist.

Of course nothing is going to guarantee a J seat except buying the J ticket. Nonetheless, these strategies could help.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 4:34 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, 10% progress towards lifetime Hyatt Diamond
Jfk-fco?

Does anybody have experience on this route? I'm trying to find 2 more seats on flight 236 on 4/4 and 235 on 4/13. I have 3 business saver seats already.

I have eVIPs that I can use, but I'm trying to gauge the chances of success. My other option is to burn 180K per for 2 anytime awards.

EF shows the 3 seats I already have booked on the seat map, along with two others blocked. Inventory on both shows J7 (actually, 7s across the board).

Any educated guess on the chances for eVIPs clearing?

Also, what's the significance of row 31? Is this the equivalent of row 17 on a 767?
Old Sep 5, 2008, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pizzaman
Does anybody have experience on this route? I'm trying to find 2 more seats on flight 236 on 4/4 and 235 on 4/13. I have 3 business saver seats already.

I have eVIPs that I can use, but I'm trying to gauge the chances of success. My other option is to burn 180K per for 2 anytime awards.

EF shows the 3 seats I already have booked on the seat map, along with two others blocked. Inventory on both shows J7 (actually, 7s across the board).

Any educated guess on the chances for eVIPs clearing?

Also, what's the significance of row 31? Is this the equivalent of row 17 on a 767?
I've never failed to clear an upgrade on the JFK-FCO flight. I've flown it numerous times w/empty seats in J. Depending on what happens w/Alitalia, this could change. If Alitalia closes down, then demand on the AA will increase.

Row 31 isn't exactly = to row 17. 31 has regular Y seats but loads of leg room.

Edited to Add: my reference to Row 31 was in response to upgrade chances on a 777 route - not a 763 route)

Last edited by bdemaria; Sep 5, 2008 at 5:31 pm Reason: clarification
Old Sep 5, 2008, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
The FCO flights are on a 763. Row 31 are standard Y seats, without power ports. Exit row 21 ABHJ are the ones to try for - and make sure you have blankets/jacket/newspapers to bundle up as it gets very cold by the exit.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One more thing: I see you are traveling Easter Week which will make Rome travel a bit more challenging.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by bdemaria
One more thing: I see you are traveling Easter Week which will make Rome travel a bit more challenging.
Yes, the beauty of having a wife who's a school teacher.

Do we think Easter adds enough pressure to make it a risky challenge?

Edited to add: Not sure how much this matters, but the next 4 Saturdays already look pretty full in J. Random Saturdays between now and April are all over the board.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, the beauty of having a wife who's a school teacher.

Do we think Easter adds enough pressure to make it a risky challenge?

Edited to add: Not sure how much this matters, but the next 4 Saturdays already look pretty full in J. Random Saturdays between now and April are all over the board.
The challenges associated with Easter will relate more directly to closures of musuems, shops, fewer cabs, etc.... rather than airline seats directly.

Sept. is a very busy month b/c of film festivals, fashion shows, etc... so the next few weeks are not a good indicator.

A couple of add'l thoughts:

Have you asked the EXP desk to open up C availability for you?

Does everyone have to travel together? If no, you might check availability on the ORD-FCO flight?

Finally, if you do end up on the waitlist, make sure that you or whoever else is EXP - is on the waistlist rather than a non status pax.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
As adzel did not say what his/her elite status is, we should mention that clearing an upgrade from the waitlist depends on whether or not there are any higher status individuals requesting upgrades. Higher status wins. If you are requesting a long time ahead, some inventory might just happen to open on some routings when no one else is requesting, and yours will clear at that moment... ya never know.
For example, my eVIPs upgrades (or miles+copay, which are equal for request purposes) have always cleared, 18/18, over the past 2 years, but I was either PLT or EXP, which makes a big difference. Only two of those 18 were cleared at booking, all the rest from waitlist.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by billgrates3
As adzel did not say what his/her elite status is, we should mention that clearing an upgrade from the waitlist depends on whether or not there are any higher status individuals requesting upgrades. Higher status wins. If you are requesting a long time ahead, some inventory might just happen to open on some routings when no one else is requesting, and yours will clear at that moment... ya never know.
For example, my eVIPs upgrades (or miles+copay, which are equal for request purposes) have always cleared, 18/18, over the past 2 years, but I was either PLT or EXP, which makes a big difference. Only two of those 18 were cleared at booking, all the rest from waitlist.
But adzel did state that s/he just passed the 2MM mark so s/he is PLT.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
But adzel did state that s/he just passed the 2MM mark so s/he is PLT.
doh!
Old Sep 6, 2008, 5:55 am

Sept. is a very busy month b/c of film festivals, fashion shows, etc... so the next few weeks are not a good indicator.

A couple of add'l thoughts:

Have you asked the EXP desk to open up C availability for you?

Does everyone have to travel together? If no, you might check availability on the ORD-FCO flight?

Finally, if you do end up on the waitlist, make sure that you or whoever else is EXP - is on the waistlist rather than a non status pax.
Didn't know September was a busy month, thanks for the heads up.

I have asked a couple of times for EXP desk to open up C inventory. I call once a week and ask again.

Unfortunately, for this trip, we do all need to travel together. I did consider the ORD-FCO option.

Thanks for the advice!
Old Sep 6, 2008, 6:39 am

Programs: AA Life-Plat 5MM, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, UA, BA
Question 2 non-consecutive segments with 1 eVIP?

I have a long trip coming that includes: EZE=>MIA, MIA=>SJO=>MIA, MIA=>MAD. I was suposed to get an eVIP from a friend, eventually it did not work out. However- for a while (when I had the eVIP) I was put by Exec-Plat desk on waitlists for EZE=>MIA + MIA=>MAD (with MIA=>SJO=>MIA in between), and I was told 1 eVIP needed for Both upgrades.
It sounded too good to be true... but I cancelled the req before the waitlists cleared.
Was this according to rules? or just a mistaken agent and it would have not gone thru on 1 eVIP?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.