Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2012, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
The current version of this thread can be found here:

FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade / SWU / eVIP / VIP? (Master thread)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2013, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by bdemaria
The best use of an SWU is on a flight where it will clear - thus I would approach this in a different fashion: What can be booked now that will clear? A quick review of EF shows that in mid Sept. there's ample onfirmable upgrade space on DFW-LHR, and in late Sept. lots on LHR-ORD. There's also some space on JFK-BCN right now, c. 9/13.

Agree. My comments assumed availability, but I would always go with what clears right away. If you do the BA route on the way back (to connect in LHR), try and get on the one 763 that runs LAX-ORD. Both DFW-LAX and ORD-LAX are too far for a single aisle plane given you are starting in Italy.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by beachfan
Both DFW-LAX and ORD-LAX are too far for a single aisle plane given you are starting in Italy.
I have to disagree a little on that last part. I flew FCO-ORD-LAX and for me, the last leg felt like an absolute puddle jump. Was perfectly fine to be upfront on a 737 for that. Additionally, I was glad to have wifi after being out of pocket most of the day, which the 763 does not offer.

As a bdemaria noted, the best SWU is the one that clears at booking, or is most likely to clear. Expert Flyer is a real help there. For me, I don't mind flying through LHR and connecting, maybe with a day or two in London. Why not see if there are upgrades on one of the 773 routes into LHR?
Old Jan 18, 2013, 9:29 pm

I'm by no means an expert, but I flew Vueling BCN-FCO and thought it was fantastic. You can pay for an exit row in advance or to guarantee no one is sitting next to you up front.

Too bad it's your anniversary trip because the FAs are model quality :-)
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bigbertnyc
So to be clear - you can't trade with people you dont know but you could trade with a friend? I don't really understand the rules. Is there a place to make new EXP friends who might want to give me an upgrade if I give them one? This all seems a little silly. I'm not looking to sell them and that seems to be the primary thing AA is trying to prevent.
Holding closely to AA rules, you can't trade. period.

But, trading on Coupon Connection is an option that appears to be workable. You just have to have enough posts. Also, realize that, at best, you'd probably be trading 2 for 1 in terms of Feb '13 expiration SWU vs Feb '14 expiration SWUs. If you're lucky you could trade your 4 Feb '13 expiring SWUs for 2 expiring Feb '14, if anyone can use them and would take that trade. Regardless, you can't access Coupon Connection with your limited history so you're basically outta luck for trades there. Your only real option is to find someone you know who would be willing to risk things and 'trade' you for SWUs. Otherwise yours will just expire unused.

There are other avenues for sale or trade of SWUs, but those are apparently well supervised by AA so I wouldn't recommend them and won't even tell you what they are.

Sadly, you may be outta Luck this year. Stick around, post more, and maybe in the future you can get on CC and learn more about options.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 2:47 am

Programs: SPG PLT, AA ExPlt
Wow there is a ton of info here I need to sift through.

Other than the 77W, is the 763 TransAtl really that bad? Is it even worth it on a 757 I personally prefer any 777 but looks like there are no real options on AA metal to Spain or Italy.

While I love LHR, I feel that its just extra time spent at the airport that I wouldn't need?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 2:53 am

Good Karma?

I've seen plenty of posters give them away for a good cause here. Could be a good way to get some good karma?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by milkchug

Other than the 77W, is the 763 TransAtl really that bad? Is it even worth it on a 757 I personally prefer any 777 but looks like there are no real options on AA metal to Spain or Italy.

While I love LHR, I feel that its just extra time spent at the airport that I wouldn't need?
Obviously, the best J product in the AA fleet is on the 77W. But that aside, the NGBC J seats are the same on the 772, 763, and 75L (international 757 config). I believe the 763 J seats are slightly narrower than the 772 J, and I haven't been on the 75L. In my opinion, 763 J really isn't that bad, especially if you're traveling solo. You can get an aisle seat with no one else trying to climb over you. The J cabin is smaller and feels more personal. If you're upgrading with SWU/miles+copay and can't clear in advance, you won't get stuck with a middle seat on the 763.

Sometimes I feel like FT is the epitome of first world problems. For me, J on the 75L would be my last choice compared to the 763 and 772, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker. I've heard the service can be quite good and personalized in the 16 seat J cabin.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 5:39 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
...the NGBC J seats are the same on the 772, 763, and 75L (international 757 config). I believe the 763 J seats are slightly narrower than the 772 J, and I haven't been on the 75L.
The 763 seats are both narrower than the 772 (and 75L) and do not have seat back mounted IFE, you have to manage with a tablet they distribute after take-off. This is a rather poor substitute as there is nowhere to really put it as the seats were not designed for this device.

The 75L J seat is identical to the 772 seat with just the omission of the little storage bays that normal fit in between the seats for shoes etc. The IFE has a larger screen than the 772 but a smaller choice of movies etc.

In my opinion, 763 J really isn't that bad, especially if you're traveling solo. You can get an aisle seat with no one else trying to climb over you. The J cabin is smaller and feels more personal. If you're upgrading with SWU/miles+copay and can't clear in advance, you won't get stuck with a middle seat on the 763.
The two center seats tend to go first though as they are both aisle seats and you can end up having no adjacent pairs in the rest of the cabin if you don't clear early, so you may get stuck in a window seat if traveling on your own or worse, with a pair of window seats if traveling as a couple.

I would always favor 772 and 75L over 763 unless you can be sure you can get a center section seat on the 763.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT

Another thing to consider: Your status states that you are PLT, which means that if you opt for waitlisting your upgrades for a more direct flight, rather than finding a flight that has availability at time of booking, you will be behind all EXPs. Also, you are looking for two seats: what if only one opens up?

I understand not wanting to sit at the lounge LHR for a couple of hours, but I'd take that over 12+ hours in coach anyday.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 8:16 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I suggest you look for the threads on these aircraft to read what has been extensively posted already rather than explore aircraft configurations, etc. here. (You may find some of us actually prefer the 757 for transatlantic voyages - same angled lie-flat seats as the 763 and 777, and unlike the 777 no middle seats, etc.)

Now that this has had a chance to attract some attention and discussion, it will be merged into the current, active thread on SWUs, as there is a lot of information that is being brought up again in this new thread - be sure to read the first post. These consolidated threads contain a lot of information and are linked to in the sticky FAQ and Wiki. (The idea is a large number of participating members have taken the time to post information and we should not overlook or dishonor that.)

/Moderator

Old Jan 19, 2013, 7:42 pm

I'm at T-24 hours to departure, and my SWU waitlist has not cleared.

What is the best strategy? Online check in now for my Y seat? Get to the airport as early as possible? Both? Something else?

What dictates SWU waitlist priority once a flight goes to airport control?

(I searched old posts, but it sounds like the priorities have changed?)
Old Jan 19, 2013, 7:49 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by mikelat
But, trading on Coupon Connection is an option that appears to be workable. You just have to have enough posts.
And when you do get there, bear in mind that there is a master list of members that have been banned for broker-like behavior or not completing trades. There are no guarantees that everything will go smoothly.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 8:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Well supervised is right; American Airlines' Corporate Security's AAdvantage Fraud unit is quite active - they even keep their eyes on FlyerTalk. eBay and Craig's List? I think some of them probably keep bedrolls there...

Originally Posted by mikelat
There are other avenues for sale or trade of SWUs, but those are apparently well supervised by AA so I wouldn't recommend them and won't even tell you what they are.

Sadly, you may be outta Luck this year. Stick around, post more, and maybe in the future you can get on CC and learn more about options.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jumbotusk
I'm at T-24 hours to departure, and my SWU waitlist has not cleared.

What is the best strategy? Online check in now for my Y seat? Get to the airport as early as possible? Both? Something else?

What dictates SWU waitlist priority once a flight goes to airport control?

(I searched old posts, but it sounds like the priorities have changed?)
Check in online immediately if you haven't done that already. Checkin time matters for SWU upgrades.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
I suggest you look for the threads on these aircraft to read what has been extensively posted already rather than explore aircraft configurations, etc. here. (You may find some of us actually prefer the 757 for transatlantic voyages - same angled lie-flat seats as the 763 and 777, and unlike the 777 no middle seats, etc.)

Now that this has had a chance to attract some attention and discussion, it will be merged into the current, active thread on SWUs, as there is a lot of information that is being brought up again in this new thread - be sure to read the first post. These consolidated threads contain a lot of information and are linked to in the sticky FAQ and Wiki. (The idea is a large number of participating members have taken the time to post information and we should not overlook or dishonor that.)

/Moderator
Jdiver, you mention some threads that talk about the comparison of planes for TA flights but the search function is failing me.
One of the issues I have with the search is that it generally require specific keywords to get to a relevant topic, and sometimes those keywords require knowledge of certain terminology that isn't obvious to a relative newbie to the game.

Any links or suggestions for keywords that I can search for the comparison/discussion of specific airplane configs would be appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.