Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2012, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
The current version of this thread can be found here:

FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade / SWU / eVIP / VIP? (Master thread)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:13 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Recent query has been merged with our existing thread for questions re: eVIPs.

A gentle reminder to all of our members: To help with forum navigation and organisation, FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules do state:

Use the Search Feature - link to this guideline
Before starting a thread, use the search feature to see if there's a recent thread on your topic. Many questions come up repeatedly on FlyerTalk. If you're wondering about a specific Hilton property in Chicago, for example, there's a good chance a thread - or 10 - already exists. The search link is located in the navigation menu near the top of the Forums page. Keeping information on the same topic confined to as few threads as possible helps members quickly find the information they need.
Many thanks for everybody's help and cooperation!

/Housekeeping, errr, I mean, Moderator
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alhcfp
If flying:

GRU-JFK-MIA-DFW-SAT then 2 days letter

MIA-LAX-KOA on same PNR
Are all six segments on the same PNR? You should be able to upgrade any two of the remaining five segments as it appears to be a one-way trip from GRU to KOA. My guess is that the agents may balk because of the stopover and surface sector. At least the long int'l segment cleared - the others are sticker/UDU eligible.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:23 am
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Are all six segments on the same PNR? You should be able to upgrade any two of the remaining five segments as it appears to be a one-way trip from GRU to KOA. My guess is that the agents may balk because of the stopover and surface sector. At least the long int'l segment cleared - the others are sticker/UDU eligible.

Same PNR.

From T& C's: This upgrade is subject to capacity controls and is limited to a single one-way ticket with a maximum of three segments. Reservations are subject to seat availability at the time of upgrade.

I think the issue is doubling back to MIA. That is wjy I am asking for authoritative rules.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 3:23 am

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Originally Posted by mwk190
I applied 2 SWUs to a domestic roundtrip for my father in March/April, cleared immediately and was reticketed 6 days ago. The SWUs have still not been pulled from my account.

I have 2 left expiring 2013 so obviously was shooting for those to get pulled vs from the 2014 pile. I have another trip I would burn those 2 on starting next Monday if the trip for my father is pulled from 2014.

Any opinions on this type of delay? Any harm in calling the desk and asking them about it?
Did they get pulled yet?

My friend (who's EXP) booked a flight in March 2013, had C-Class avail. Took a few days, but her SWU were deducted. They were removed from 2/28/13 expiring bucket, not 2014 bucket. She's got 2 left expiring in on 2/13, so we may book something in Oct to use those..

YMMV- But in our case 2/2013 were used for March 2013 travel!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
I have some SWUs in my account after getting EXP status. Was thinking I should not let them go to waste.

What would be the likelihood of being able to use some (two) to do a round trip DFW-LHR. Ideally, it would be on the new 77W. Just trying to think if I do a J award or buy Y and try to use the SWUs.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 2:07 pm

Am I right to assume you're not giving these away? Because if you are, I've got a reservation for LHR-DFW in March on AA51 that is on the 77W. So they wouldn't go to waste .
Old Feb 12, 2013, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by bmchris
Am I right to assume you're not giving these away? Because if you are, I've got a reservation for LHR-DFW in March on AA51 that is on the 77W. So they wouldn't go to waste .
Not yet.

I would like to see if I can get to LHR. And would like to do it in J or better. Not sure if I want to drop all the miles, because right now, it SEEMS as if I would need to do an aanytime award..
Old Feb 12, 2013, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by jsmeeker
Not yet.

I would like to see if I can get to LHR. And would like to do it in J or better. Not sure if I want to drop all the miles, because right now, it SEEMS as if I would need to do an aanytime award..
Wait, you can use a swu with an award ticket? Does it depend on the kind of award ticket?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Rookie3
Wait, you can use a swu with an award ticket? Does it depend on the kind of award ticket?
No, you cannot. jsmeeker is trying to decide whether to buy Y and use an SWU or book an award in J, where it seems that there's no MileSAAver availability for his flight.

I have some SWUs in my account after getting EXP status. Was thinking I should not let them go to waste.

What would be the likelihood of being able to use some (two) to do a round trip DFW-LHR. Ideally, it would be on the new 77W. Just trying to think if I do a J award or buy Y and try to use the SWUs.
Not yet.

Old Feb 12, 2013, 7:58 pm

correct.

I am trying to figure out a good strategy. A cursory looks shows that a MileSAAVer J award is available on the route and dates, but I would not be able to go DFW-LHR non-stop. I would have to go to JFK or MIA or I think ORD, then on from there. I would really prefer non-stop. And want the 77W.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 1:45 pm

I'm currently on the waitlist for DFW-LHR r/t, looking for C availability. There are 4 of us on the waitlist, and I'm EXP. Everyone else has no status.

I've got an expertflyer alert set to alert me when there is 1 C seat available. Is there any use in me calling AA reservations to see if any C availability has been released periodically?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've got an expertflyer alert set to alert me when there is 1 C seat available. Is there any use in me calling AA reservations to see if any C availability has been released periodically?
EF alerts are ok, but they aren't real-time, as EF periodically inquires about availability. The release of C inventory does not immediately trigger an EF alert. Nobody but EF knows the frequency of the inquiries, but EF says that the frequency increases as you get closer to departure.

For me, calling is a pain. Instead of calling, I'd just periodically check on EF to see if any C has been released. When you inquire about availability, that is in real time. My SWUs clear without even checking.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 2:28 pm

I'm more wondering about the EXP "C" special inventory. But I guess even if they had less than 4 available, I probably would try my luck rather than split the reservation.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 4:27 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

question

Hi all,

I have a question, not sure what is correct.

- I have a reservation (to be ticketed) but cleared for the upgrades [4 eVIP needed] - CC not yet charged. This is for travel in Aug. I would like to know for this
a) can a friend call in to say that he will sponsor me 1 eVIP?
b) Do I need to get this ticketed before 28 Feb? --> I assume that this will still be coming out from both the 2012 stock. [was talking to an agent today but she insisted that it comes from the new stock since travel is only in Aug]

- 2nd trip in April, used 1 eVIP to clear the outbound
a) this will 99% come from my 2012 stock?

In this situation, how will my eVIPs be used (and the one from my friend)?
a) all 2013 expiring eVIPs be used
b) none of my 2014 expiring eVIP's will be touched
c) others

Thanks in advance
Cheers!
Old Feb 14, 2013, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
I'm more wondering about the EXP "C" special inventory. But I guess even if they had less than 4 available, I probably would try my luck rather than split the reservation.
You have to call AA for expanded EXP inventory.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.