Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 16, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is the archived thread of older posts. The current thread is:
Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB
Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
<content moved to top of wiki>
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA MM (former 1K) - DL PM (former DM) - Marriott Platinum
UA 1K and DL DM here; decided to try AA for a flight AUA-MIA-LAX since the times worked best for my girlfriend and me. Paid F.

5/29 AA1036 AUA-MIA -- tray of water / OJ; asked for cocktail (vodka to pour in the OJ), was told "not set up for it". Door closed 15 mins prior to scheduled departure

5/29 AA2543 MIA-LAX -- no PDB at all; was told "no time" by the FA. Door closed 5 mins prior to scheduled departure

Also, what's with catering only 4 Woodford's minis for a 16-pax premium cabin on MIA-LAX??

Lackluster service throughout...not impressed with my experience on AA...
Old May 31, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by LAX-1K
UA 1K and DL DM here; decided to try AA for a flight AUA-MIA-LAX since the times worked best for my girlfriend and me. Paid F.

5/29 AA1036 AUA-MIA -- tray of water / OJ; asked for cocktail (vodka to pour in the OJ), was told "not set up for it". Door closed 15 mins prior to scheduled departure
What a complete joke! They couldn't reach into the cart and grab a mini to give you? Please report your experiences to AA via twitter.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
ILM-CLT 5/27 full PDB
CLT-SXM 5/27 full PDB
SXM-CLT 5/31 no PDB offered FAs stood in galley and chatted; no greeting at all
CLT-ILM 5/31 no PDB offered FAs stood in galley and chatted; no greeting at all

When is this lack of service going to change? If that's part of the FC product (and there is enough time), we should get $5 off the ticket when the product offering is not honored. I am half joking, but if airlines want to unbundle things, then it works both ways.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
ILM-CLT 5/27 full PDB
CLT-SXM 5/27 full PDB
SXM-CLT 5/31 no PDB offered FAs stood in galley and chatted; no greeting at all
CLT-ILM 5/31 no PDB offered FAs stood in galley and chatted; no greeting at all

When is this lack of service going to change? If that's part of the FC product (and there is enough time), we should get $5 off the ticket when the product offering is not honored. I am half joking, but if airlines want to unbundle things, then it works both ways.
AA, as I believe most airlines, has decided they do not need management in place on aircraft. The FAs choosing to do less than specified in their job description knows it is very unlikely they will have any repercussion to their actions. Just like those that speed, if you don't get caught, you don't get a ticket. Until AA steps up and provides active monitoring there is no reason form them to do more. I hope those with less than acceptable service make an effort to inform AA. I also hope they are at least recording the complaints and should they need to select who stays and who goes this will be a factor.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
I'm sure some computer geek at AA can design an automatic survey to email a question of "On Dallas to Vancouver, you sat in Business, were you asked for a Pre Departure Beverage".

About one months worth of data would quickly show
-FA's that always do PDB
-FA's that never do PDB

I was on an Alaska flight this past week and they don't do any PDB's period. They wait until you are about 40 minutes into the flight before they show up. Now, when they do show up, they are generous and nice and quick and refill away.......
Old Jun 1, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
Originally Posted by RogerD408
AA, as I believe most airlines, has decided they do not need management in place on aircraft. The FAs choosing to do less than specified in their job description knows it is very unlikely they will have any repercussion to their actions. Just like those that speed, if you don't get caught, you don't get a ticket. Until AA steps up and provides active monitoring there is no reason form them to do more. I hope those with less than acceptable service make an effort to inform AA. I also hope they are at least recording the complaints and should they need to select who stays and who goes this will be a factor.

What's more, I believe the policy is for an observer to announce themselves in the event of a check-ride. IMO this is crap - if you want a true picture of how your staff is performing on a normal basis, you need to secret shop them instead of letting them know they're being observed.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by asf-07
What's more, I believe the policy is for an observer to announce themselves in the event of a check-ride. IMO this is crap - if you want a true picture of how your staff is performing on a normal basis, you need to secret shop them instead of letting them know they're being observed.
If that's the case (I have no idea if it is), I'd wager that we have the unions and collective bargaining agreement to thank. Kinda makes secret shopping pointless. Like announcing that you are The NY Times food critic when you show up to a restaurant.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by The smallest state
I was on an Alaska flight this past week and they don't do any PDB's period. They wait until you are about 40 minutes into the flight before they show up. Now, when they do show up, they are generous and nice and quick and refill away.......
(red mine)

While I believe you about your flight, I don't think that is a true statement on overall service. Lucky at OMAAT says he got them on Alaska in January. A quick search online seems to indicate they are pretty common.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by Global321
(red mine)

While I believe you about your flight, I don't think that is a true statement on overall service. Lucky at OMAAT says he got them on Alaska in January. A quick search online seems to indicate they are pretty common.
I want to believe..........

I really do. I fly AS from PDX to SFO about once a month. I have NEVER been offered or seen an attempt at PDB.

Before this is seen as a knock, AS has an excellent in flight experience for a US airline, but I have never experienced PDB.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:51 pm

I want to believe..........

I really do. I fly AS from PDX to SFO about once a month. I have NEVER been offered or seen an attempt at PDB.

Before this is seen as a knock, AS has an excellent in flight experience for a US airline, but I have never experienced PDB.
I fly AS in two weeks. We will see. It will be interesting to see... AA to AS connection, so I will have a direct comparison on AA PDB and service.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Global321
I fly AS in two weeks. We will see. It will be interesting to see... AA to AS connection, so I will have a direct comparison on AA PDB and service.
Please do report back.

For my money.................AA will win on PDB and AS will win if you forget about no PDB.

Mods - Maybe we need a "PDB served on Alaska ? thread. This one has 2094 posts.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 1:13 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Please do report back.

For my money.................AA will win on PDB and AS will win if you forget about no PDB.

Not a bad idea but better suited for another forum. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...eage-plan-442/
Old Jun 2, 2017, 5:15 pm

Please do report back.

This thread is dedicated to PDB on AA. I have every intention to report back here on it. (And I will add a note on AS PDB for completeness.) Doesn't change the focus of this thread at all.

Anyone else flying AA and another airline on the same day should be encouraged to report both in the same post.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
6/3 AA 5593 OKC-CLT. Pushed back 6 minutes late and received no PDB of any kind.

Also noted that lunch orders were taken aft to forward seemingly in contraction of current "new FEBO" policy.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA Plat, Hertz PC
6/1 BOS-PHL AA1448 - Full PDB

Received a survey the following day and one of the questions asked if I was served a pre-departure drink.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.