FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/793677-archive-predeparture-drinks-beverage-pdb-when-what-why-not.html)

UncleDude Feb 22, 2008 6:00 pm

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

After a difficult 40 minutes through MCO Security and then in a Warm Clubless Terminal undergoing an air-con refurb, I wanted something other than Orange Juice or Water.

And the FA told me: They dont let us serve beer before take-off.

Truth ? or another Lazy FA Lie?

It was also a 757 Tanscon using door 2, with lots of time, so no hassle for the FA.

oneant Feb 22, 2008 6:06 pm

Only speculation but, if what the FA said is true, perhaps it has something to do with the fact that beer in F is given as a full can with a pour (if you want a pour) and typical time contraints due to collecting drinks before takeoff might produce a waste of most of a beer.

Every other drink is served in smaller amounts, and therefore more quickly consumed and not wasted.

cynicAAl Feb 22, 2008 6:27 pm

if you order your beer with a beer bong (funnel & hose) they will serve you. Very popular on the FLL routes if I remember from my Spring Break days.:)

C17PSGR Feb 22, 2008 6:46 pm

That might be right because of liquor laws. For example, US is having major problems in New Mexico where a drunk driver killed someone after getting off a US plane.

I think US (and the other carriers) don't have state liquor licenses in every state and take the position they don't need one while in the air. New Mexico is taking the position that you need a license in NM if you are serving alcohol on any flights in or out of New Mexico. I think they are even claiming you need a New Mexico liquor license when flying over New Mexico. I think F9 and some others no longer serve alcohol on flights to and from New Mexico.

The airlines are nervous about this -- and not just in New Mexico. Then again, maybe its just another excuse not to give us predeparture drinks! :)

UncleDude Feb 22, 2008 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by oneant (Post 9298555)
Only speculation but, if what the FA said is true, perhaps it has something to do with the fact that beer in F is given as a full can with a pour (if you want a pour) and typical time contraints due to collecting drinks before takeoff might produce a waste of most of a beer.

Every other drink is served in smaller amounts, and therefore more quickly consumed and not wasted.

Be assured None of it would have been wasted..Since TSA took over checking ID's at MCO things have become terrible. The FA had at least 20 minutes from the time I asked until the door closed. I would have finished the can in less than 10.

Ltgfrk Feb 22, 2008 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by UncleDude (Post 9298523)
And the FA told me: They dont let us serve beer before take-off.

Must be all the other FA's haven't gotten the memo because beer is served all the time for pre-depature's. However, it could be an MCO thing because word has it that after a hard day's work of having his ... pinched by countless little kid's Mickey likes to get on an AA flight and get liquored up.

FlyerBeek Feb 22, 2008 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by UncleDude (Post 9298523)
It was also a 767 Tanscon using door 2, with lots of time, so no hassle for the FA.

Impossible. 762s/763s don't have a second door for boarding. Perhaps you meant a 757?

-FlyerBeek

nacirema Feb 22, 2008 7:48 pm

It's up to the FAs and they are suppose to do it but sometimes it's the fault of catering, sometimes they are just lazy, but most time than not I received any drink I wanted during pre-takeoff and that included a screwdriver before this weeks MIA-MAD departure. (btw, AFAIK, Florida does not have the pre-takeoff alcohol/airline laws. I have been served wine, liquor on just about any flight I took out of TPA and MIA. It is possible that MCO falls under their own county law, I just don't know)

I really don't see a reason to report every missed pre-takeoff drink, every non-caring GA. We're all suppose to be FFs. I've seen the worst and I have seen the best. Most fall into the average to above average category, which statistically is about as good as any other airline.

Anybody flying frequently should know that.

Reporting from Cairo. Can't sleep for some reason....;)

dayone Feb 22, 2008 8:24 pm

As of April, 2006

Originally Posted by sluggoaafa (Post 5582573)
Well, since it has been brought up many times in various threads about pre-departures...I guess I could mention again what cities cannot have pre-departure alcohol:

Cleveland(CLE), Columbus(CMH), Dayton(DAY), Harrisburg(MDT), Hartford(BDL), Jackson Hole(JAC), Newark(EWR), Philadelphia(PHL), Pittsburgh(PIT), Wichita(ICT), ALL Texas locations prior to noon on Sundays.

Dudleydog73 Feb 22, 2008 9:47 pm

OK, so what about MCO.......

ninerfan Feb 22, 2008 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by UncleDude (Post 9298712)
Be assured None of it would have been wasted..Since TSA took over checking ID's at MCO things have become terrible. The FA had at least 20 minutes from the time I asked until the door closed. I would have finished the can in less than 10.

Less than 10 ? I would think if I was able to get a beer and the FA said you have to finish it in 3 minutes that would give me 2 minutes to spare

UncleDude Feb 22, 2008 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek (Post 9298811)
Impossible. 762s/763s don't have a second door for boarding. Perhaps you meant a 757?

-FlyerBeek

Sorry 757..My Bad Typo

Rodr Feb 23, 2008 7:04 am

MCO is my homebase. AA flys 57's, A300's, and S80's. Most if not all 57's are boarded through 2L. So there is no rush through First.
As for they don't allow us, that is not possible. It was the FA's choice and not a rule of Orange County/Orlando laws.
I have had plenty of suds in the front in MCO prior to takeoff.
You must have caught the FA on their third segment.
Now what I have found and it is starting to happen more and more is less bev service prior to take off.
Most of the time AA runs such a tight time schedule and as usual running late that they are just trying to get people out, clean craft, people on, that the last thing they want to do is try to serve bevs prior to take off or just they keep it simple "offer just water service" easy to pour and access.

As for the improvement. MCO is remodeling finally their original terminal which is where AA is at. Time table is 18 months, new everything.

Good Luck... In your quest for a cold one!:D

AAaLot Feb 23, 2008 10:50 am

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Originally Posted by dayone

Originally Posted by sluggoaafa (Post 5582573)
Well, since it has been brought up many times in various threads about pre-departures...I guess I could mention again what cities cannot have pre-departure alcohol:

Cleveland(CLE), Columbus(CMH), Dayton(DAY), Harrisburg(MDT), Hartford(BDL), Jackson Hole(JAC), Newark(EWR), Philadelphia(PHL), Pittsburgh(PIT), Wichita(ICT), ALL Texas locations prior to noon on Sundays.

This list is worth repeating.

The Mco FA was making up a rule. I love it when they do that.

FWAAA Feb 23, 2008 11:24 am

US has recently informed its cabin staff that it will not serve any alcohol on the ground in Florida; it's widely assumed that it did not renew its Florida alcohol license.