Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 16, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is the archived thread of older posts. The current thread is:
Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB
Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
<content moved to top of wiki>
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2017, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
... looks like LUS FAs tend to do PDB that way by asking boarding passengers to wait at the front.
I'm LAA and in my opinion a brief stoppage of the traffic to deliver PDBs, and ease the log jam of people in coach, is the best way to do it.
Old May 9, 2017, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by skylady
Unfortunately, holding people at the boarding door in order to accomplish pre departure beverages is not allowed.
Simply not true.

Originally Posted by TheSkyGuy
This is how I do it. Never had an issue. The Y line often is backed up and moving at a snail's pace anyway....
^^^^^

Well done.
Old May 9, 2017, 4:12 am

Programs: UA-SIL MR-TIT HYT-GBL IHG-PLT HH-DIA WYN-PLT AMEX-PLT
5/7 LAX-ORD AA 1307 (LAA) PDB of choice with refills on a significantly delayed flight (LA winds, inbound a/c, and crew member substituted for illness). Battlefield upgrade--was happily surprised all the way around
Old May 9, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
DEN-ORD - MD80 - Another day, another late catering arrival at DEN. And another no PDB.
Old May 9, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Twice on recent trips SFO-PHL, the FA asks for PDB and I ask for a mimosa. Each time I've returned the drink as awful.

Turns out the FA used white wine instead of sparkling wine!! And it was a different FA each time. But maybe they went to the same drink making class. LOL
Old May 9, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Twice on recent trips SFO-PHL, the FA asks for PDB and I ask for a mimosa. Each time I've returned the drink as awful.

Turns out the FA used white wine instead of sparkling wine!! And it was a different FA each time. But maybe they went to the same drink making class. LOL
Last week, my "screwdriver" was delivered without vodka. The next day, the "bloody mary" was made with tomato juice, not bloody mary mix.

No big deal. Now, all my verbal drink orders include the ingredients that go into that drink. Cheers.
Old May 9, 2017, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Zacnlinc

An improvement -- bad drinks are infinitely better than being sullenly refused a drink
Old May 9, 2017, 9:10 am

My luck is going strong on PDBs: 5/9 (this morning) AA 2470 LAA 738 ORD-LAS open bar PDB. ORD based crew no less!
Old May 9, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
5/9 MSY-ORD AA2224 8:15am, no PDB for passengers. One FA stood in the galley drinking coffee from a mug, though.
Old May 9, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by mbluecpa
5/9 MSY-ORD AA2224 8:15am, no PDB for passengers. One FA stood in the galley drinking coffee from a mug, though.
WHY does AA have such a hit-and-miss routine with this????????? I have about a 70-80% success rate with PDB. I know it's a drink, just a flipping drink, but it's one of those things that has become somewhat important to me. It shouldn't bother me but it does.
Old May 9, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by The smallest state
WHY does AA have such a hit-and-miss routine with this????????? I have about a 70-80% success rate with PDB. I know it's a drink, just a flipping drink, but it's one of those things that has become somewhat important to me. It shouldn't bother me but it does.
If your home airport is PVD, then I suspect most of your flying is with LUS, which the thread has noted generally has a better rate of providing a PDB. So, count yourself lucky...
Old May 9, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
The LUS and myself have a long history, I generally fly to Canada and Asia for work. I'm forever on the shuttle to Chicago or Charlotte or Philly.

You guys seriously think a 70-80% success rate for PDB is good? I'm feeling fairly frustrated (admittedly over a drink, I don't want to sound like an alcoholic)
Old May 9, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
ORD-BOS LAA 738 w/ PTV's - NO PDB.
Old May 9, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
DFW-IND MD80

Water/OJ only, no rush as the cockpit door is still open
Old May 9, 2017, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
2017 AA Upgrades: 28/29; 2017 AA PDB's: 26/31
The fact you have received more upgrades both numerically and statistically than PDB's indicates to me that there is a problem that AA needs to sort out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.