Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 16, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is the archived thread of older posts. The current thread is:
Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB
Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
<content moved to top of wiki>
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2017, 5:57 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
5/18 AA2178 DEN-DFW No PDB, but lots of time to chit-chat, even with the pax.
5/19 AA945 DFW-SCL Standard Int'l J PDB.
Old May 22, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Well done! What a lovely thing to do. I hope that the lady thanked you as well.

What is a "Woodford"?
She was very appreciative--I think the F seat made a big difference for her. Luckily, DFW was her final destination and she did not have to struggle with another flight. She even waited for me at the gate after the flight to thank me again.

As another poster pointed out, Woodford is a solid-quality bourbon. It's easy to consume by itself. I got two minis of it, which was enough for a nice glass to enjoy while reading.
Old May 22, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by zpaul
5/18 AA2178 DEN-DFW No PDB, but lots of time to chit-chat, even with the pax.
I see that raise in wages did a lot......
Old May 22, 2017, 10:33 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by brewdog11
She was very appreciative--I think the F seat made a big difference for her. Luckily, DFW was her final destination and she did not have to struggle with another flight. She even waited for me at the gate after the flight to thank me again.

As another poster pointed out, Woodford is a solid-quality bourbon. It's easy to consume by itself. I got two minis of it, which was enough for a nice glass to enjoy while reading.
It is abundantly clear that you are a Gentleman par excellence, and it is so refreshing in this rough, uncouth and self centered age that someone actually was the total antithesis of that. If there is a Mrs Brewdog then she is a most fortunate lady.

Thank you also for telling me about the Woodford. I would not dare drink two for I would probably start dancing on the tables - and they just do not make tray tables like they used to. I speak from experience but from long ago.

It is my opinion that a welcome aboard drink is most agreeable after the boarding gate madhouse so to stay on topic.

19 MAY AA 2270 JFK - ORD LAA 738 No PDB

The man in front asked the FA asked if he could have one.

"No" she said "Due to circumstances"

What these were, she did not care to elaborate as she took herself off to the cockpit and the conversation ended. Nice.
Old May 22, 2017, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA Gold
5-13-17: AA1333 ORD-MCO No PDB despite lots of time before takeoff, jackets were hung.
5-18-17: AA129 MCO-ORD PDB of choice and wonderful crew for the flight.
Old May 22, 2017, 8:16 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
AA 2183 AUS-JFK Yes Late April
AA 2675 JFK-AUS yes Even later April

Previous flights on this route, not so much.
Old May 22, 2017, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP
5/20 LAX-LAS AA# A321S LAA - Tray of water. I think they had some catering issues from what I heard as they ended up using a cart once in the air and spent almost the entire flight in coach.

5/22 LAS-LAX Delta #2804 - Full PDB obviously.

5/22 LAX-MIA AA#1088 77W F class LAA - Full PDB in glassware. Fabulous service and flight!

Last edited by brc757rr; May 23, 2017 at 7:44 am
Old May 23, 2017, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
So in summary, PDBs are purely by the grace of the FAs on the flight. Some do and some don't, even on the same flight. There is no penalty if the FA chooses not to deliver the service and there is no recourse for those that don't get it. The best you can do is try to "bully" the FA by asking, but again, it's at their whim. How AA can consider this a program perk is difficult to understand. I think anytime they make such a claim we should call BS on it. How long until simple things like lights on in the cabin becomes something the FAs don't want to do?
Old May 23, 2017, 10:43 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
must be nice to have a job where you get to keep your job, for not doing your job

Last edited by AANYC1981; May 23, 2017 at 5:52 pm
Old May 23, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
So in summary, PDBs are purely by the grace of the FAs on the flight. Some do and some don't, even on the same flight. There is no penalty if the FA chooses not to deliver the service and there is no recourse for those that don't get it. The best you can do is try to "bully" the FA by asking, but again, it's at their whim. How AA can consider this a program perk is difficult to understand. I think anytime they make such a claim we should call BS on it. How long until simple things like lights on in the cabin becomes something the FAs don't want to do?
To be fair to AA they have tried to implement the 'rule' a number of times and have been good about reinforcing the logic behind it. If you read the comments after this article, there are some quasi-militant AA FA's indicating they will NOT do a PDB because they are not getting paid.......http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....erages-matter/

MODS - I hope I didn't break a rule by posting to another forum, if so please forgive me.

Originally Posted by Jcatman
I see that raise in wages did a lot......
Great point, I forgot about that. While I don't want to make this an issue where all fault is the FA's if it doesn't happen, that seems to be what I am feeling. I know most FA's are great at their job, this really seems like a fairly simple task that should be able to be completed.
Old May 23, 2017, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by The smallest state
To be fair to AA they have tried to implement the 'rule' a number of times and have been good about reinforcing the logic behind it. If you read the comments after this article, there are some quasi-militant AA FA's indicating they will NOT do a PDB because they are not getting paid.......http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....erages-matter/

MODS - I hope I didn't break a rule by posting to another forum, if so please forgive me.

Great point, I forgot about that. While I don't want to make this an issue where all fault is the FA's if it doesn't happen, that seems to be what I am feeling. I know most FA's are great at their job, this really seems like a fairly simple task that should be able to be completed.
They are getting paid to do a job, some of the duties occur while they are on the clock and some aren't. I suspect those b*tching about not being on the clock want to be paid when they decide to leave the house? Maybe when they choose to wake up in the morning? It's all a smoke screen and needs to be shut down. It's the few that cause issued for the many that bother me the most. Things change over time and if you can't deal with it, then time to move on... Oh wait, that's a change too! Glad we are not flying DC3's still.
Old May 23, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
They are getting paid to do a job, some of the duties occur while they are on the clock and some aren't. I suspect those b*tching about not being on the clock want to be paid when they decide to leave the house? Maybe when they choose to wake up in the morning? It's all a smoke screen and needs to be shut down. It's the few that cause issued for the many that bother me the most. Things change over time and if you can't deal with it, then time to move on... Oh wait, that's a change too! Glad we are not flying DC3's still.
I agree with you. On the other hand, they may be correct under labor laws if they are truly not being paid.

IF they are truly not being paid..........

I just want my PDB
Old May 23, 2017, 11:45 am

5/14 DFW-YUL (e175) - Full PDB at last minute (FA said "I can give you water now, or anything you want in a few minutes. Cabin voted to wait.)
5/20 YUL-DFW - nothing, although we were a bit late to board.
Old May 23, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Flying United tomorrow and am interested to make the comparison regarding PDB.
Old May 23, 2017, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The smallest state
I agree with you. On the other hand, they may be correct under labor laws if they are truly not being paid.

IF they are truly not being paid..........

I just want my PDB
No doubt about it, they ARE being paid to do a job. They may not be on the clock at the moment as that is how the contract was written. I'm sure this benefit was not announced without agreement with the union that services are required before they close the door (i.e. hanging coats, assisting pax finding their seats, preparing the aircraft for departure, and etc.) and PDBs fall into this category.

By not having any supervisor/management onboard, they can pretty much get away with doing anything they want. A few have succeeded in reporting bad behaviour and may have benefited by getting a few miles. But I'd put good money down that there was no "behaviour modification" attempted, let alone accomplished, on AA's part.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.