Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 16, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is the archived thread of older posts. The current thread is:
Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB
Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
<content moved to top of wiki>
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2017, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
7/15 Flight # 542 - PHX/DFW (LUS) Full PDB
7/15 Flight # 1210 - DFW/MSP (LAA) Nada, nothing, zilch
7/15 Flight # 1210 - MSP/DFW (LAA) same crew as above return flight
7/15 Flight # 5960 - DFW/PHX (Mesa - Dallas based crew) Nada. Flight delayed and pax were walking to the galley asking for a PDB. The FA would then serve them, but no one else unless you pranced to the galley.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by USAmerican
7/15 Flight # 542 - PHX/DFW (LUS) Full PDB
7/15 Flight # 1210 - DFW/MSP (LAA) Nada, nothing, zilch
7/15 Flight # 1210 - MSP/DFW (LAA) same crew as above return flight
7/15 Flight # 5960 - DFW/PHX (Mesa - Dallas based crew) Nada. Flight delayed and pax were walking to the galley asking for a PDB. The FA would then serve them, but no one else unless you pranced to the galley.
On that final flight, every F passenger should have stood up at once and formed a conga line for the PDB.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 4.6 MM, LT Pt, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Herb687
What did he say when you asked him for a PDB? Or asked him why he didn't proactively offer one?
I have never asked him for a PDB nor have I ever asked him why he didn't offer a PDB service. However, I have heard others ask for a PDB and his usual reply that you will be served once we are airborne.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 3:35 pm
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
Friday 7/14 flt 2045, CLT-PBI. Held up waiting for a plane, then an FA, but once we boarded we sat for a while waiting for connecting passengers. No PDB, even though there was plenty of time. One drink during the flight, and a quick pass-through of the snack basket was it. If they gave a prize for doing the minimum amount of service, this FA would have won it.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator
7/17 AA2172 BOS-LGA Full PDB followed by great in-flight service

I think it was a LUS crew?
Old Jul 18, 2017, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by jcatman
On that final flight, every F passenger should have stood up at once and formed a conga line for the PDB.
This may have some nasty consequences, but what if, once it's known the FA is serving from the galley, if a few passengers started serving PBDs?

A while back, I stopped at a restaurant while on a road trip. The hostess was busy clearing tables in between taking names & counts for tables. Simple enough process, so as new people entered the place, I asked for their name and number and updated her list (no seating). LOL I did get attentive service once seated and had a good chat with the workers that saw what was happening.

Imagine a self-service class! They supply the goods, we help ourselves (no loading up your carry-on). Hmmm If I expect poor service, I pack in what I want. Very strange looks sitting in F and eating a Cuban sandwich picked up before getting to MIA (upgrade cleared at gate).
Old Jul 18, 2017, 11:41 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by RogerD408
This may have some nasty consequences, but what if, once it's known the FA is serving from the galley, if a few passengers started serving PBDs?

A while back, I stopped at a restaurant while on a road trip. The hostess was busy clearing tables in between taking names & counts for tables. Simple enough process, so as new people entered the place, I asked for their name and number and updated her list (no seating). LOL I did get attentive service once seated and had a good chat with the workers that saw what was happening.

Imagine a self-service class! They supply the goods, we help ourselves (no loading up your carry-on). Hmmm If I expect poor service, I pack in what I want. Very strange looks sitting in F and eating a Cuban sandwich picked up before getting to MIA (upgrade cleared at gate).
And I can imagine some people tipping the entire bar in their bags and making off with the lot
Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
7/15 AA1183 ORD-MSY (738) 2045 departure: PDB of OJ or water at the last minute despite a super easy boarding process. Cabin was a little over half full. NRSA pax/FA's friend was offered a full PDB. I tweeted AA and got a "sorry for the inconvenience" reply.

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
And I can imagine some people tipping the entire bar in their bags and making off with the lot
I have it on good authority that this would happen regularly.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by brewdog11
7/15 AA1183 ORD-MSY (738) 2045 departure: PDB of OJ or water at the last minute despite a super easy boarding process. Cabin was a little over half full. NRSA pax/FA's friend was offered a full PDB. I tweeted AA and got a "sorry for the inconvenience" reply.
An appropriate reply from AA would be:

"Our sincere apologies, brewdog11. Obviously, our recent decision to provide Flight Attendants an unexpected wage increase did not adequately motivate some FA's to perform their job duties".
Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:19 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Does AA have someone with overall responsibility for Inflight Services?
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by Flip42
7/17 AA2172 BOS-LGA Full PDB followed by great in-flight service

I think it was a LUS crew?
I've been on this shuttle and the DCA shuttle hundreds of times and can count on one hand the number of times a full PDB was not provided ^ Never a problem here. Too bad the same cannot be said for non-shuttle service.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:46 am

7/22 AA0173 RDU-DFW: No PDB, no beverage service until 30 min after takeoff. (Service was fine after that.)
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:08 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
7/15 DCA-MIA AA1811, Full PDB of choice, from a pmUS flight attendant - one of the best service experiences in a long time from that great FA.
7/16 MIA-CZM AA4436, Full PDB of choice from a great Republic Airways crew
7/23 CUN-DFW AA2705, No PDB at all.
7/24 DFW-DCA AA2690, Full PDB of choice during a long ground delay
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:51 pm

3 out of 4. Congrats.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
PVR-PHX - LUS A320 - PDB Of choice!
PHX-DFW - LUS A321 - PDB of choice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.