Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 16, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is the archived thread of older posts. The current thread is:
Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB
Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
<content moved to top of wiki>
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:59 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Well..............there is another thread, damn near 1000 posts long about this but....................

AA ExpectAAtion - Our First and Business Class customers will be offered a Pre Departure Drink on any flight.

AA ReAAlity - "we are primarily here for your safety" ........You have the same odds as Blackjack in Vegas 49/51 that it will happen.

AA has told, pleaded, begged, instructed, mandated and asked flight attendants to do PDB. You still have Vegas odds. Another web page had a lot of AA flight attendants weigh in and say words to the effect of "I am not paid until the wheels are turning, therefore, I do not do PDB"
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:01 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by marnold3
I flew from HNL to LAX yesterday on flight 284. The PDB consisted of a bottle of water in the seatback pocket.
Maybe a new hire with Alaska Airlines work experience.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:02 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by The smallest state

........Another web page had a lot of AA flight attendants weigh in and say words to the effect of "I am not paid until the wheels are turning, therefore, I do not do PDB"
Then honey, if I'm on the aircraft, you're going to make it up when we get to 10,000 feet. I'm thirsty.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 4.6 MM, LT Pt, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Maybe a new hire with Alaska Airlines work experience.
Nope, this FA has been with AA a long time. He's been the purser on many of my LAX/HNL flights over the past few years. Once we're airborne, he always provides excellent service.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 7:16 am

Great crews all around on the following flights - one of the XNA-CLT crew was celebrating her birthday:

Flight 3823 - DCA-XNA - 6/30/2017 - PDB service offered (I only asked for water, not sure what else was being served - no restrictions were indicated)... I love this flight so much, I hope they keep it forever and upgrade it to a Dreamliner with a special WalMart livery

Flight 5198 - XNA-CLT - 7/8/2017 - same as above, PDB offered.

(After a land-then-sit-and-wait-for-a-gate-while-you-watch-your-connection-grow-tighter-and-tighter spell, I had to sprint from one end of E to the other end of D (not the worst sprint at CLT, but still) to make my DCA flight and was the last passenger to board, and alas I was in steerage anyway, so I pretty much don't know what happened on that one - service was suspended (rightly so) because of a very bumpy ride on what is a short flight anyway, but I think I saw the FA in first doing the in-flight service.)
Old Jul 13, 2017, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by jcatman
Then honey, if I'm on the aircraft, you're going to make it up when we get to 10,000 feet. I'm thirsty.
Agree with you 100%.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
AA ReAAlity - "we are primarily here for your safety" ........You have the same odds as Blackjack in Vegas 49/51 that it will happen.
Actually, I think you have much better odds playing blackjack.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jul 14, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
7/14/17 AA2207 DFW-SFO: OJ or Water.

Last edited by Zacnlinc; Jul 14, 2017 at 10:26 am
Old Jul 14, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
AA1695 PHL-DFW 7/13/17
Full PDB
LUS, I think.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Full PDB's on AA1244 this afternoon's DTW-ORD.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by marnold3
Nope, this FA has been with AA a long time. He's been the purser on many of my LAX/HNL flights over the past few years. Once we're airborne, he always provides excellent service.
What did he say when you asked him for a PDB? Or asked him why he didn't proactively offer one?
Old Jul 15, 2017, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
7/13/17 AA2817 SHV-DFW (CRJ-700) - Full PDB
7/13/17 AA1233 DFW-ORD (787-8) - H2O or OJ
--------------------------
7/14/17 AA1310 MSY-ORD (738) - Full PDB
Old Jul 15, 2017, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by brewdog11
7/13/17 AA2817 SHV-DFW (CRJ-700) - Full PDB
7/13/17 AA1233 DFW-ORD (787-8) - H2O or OJ

Perhaps the Express Jet crew should be the ones working the 787...
Old Jul 15, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by jcatman
Perhaps the Express Jet crew should be the ones working the 787...
No kidding.

It was one of those flights where you knew the crew was going to be terrible the minute you stepped on the plane. Sure enough, all downhill from there. Honestly, I'm surprised there was a PDB at all (although water and OJ don't count as a "true" PDB, in my opinion).
Old Jul 15, 2017, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by brewdog11
No kidding.

It was one of those flights where you knew the crew was going to be terrible the minute you stepped on the plane. Sure enough, all downhill from there. Honestly, I'm surprised there was a PDB at all (although water and OJ don't count as a "true" PDB, in my opinion).
They count on a "dry" airline. They don't count on American.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.