Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 16, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is the archived thread of older posts. The current thread is:
Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB
Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
<content moved to top of wiki>
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2016, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by 110pgl
Great example of where a picture is worth a thousand words. (Not that I am suggesting someone break AA's rules and do such a thing. )

As for the two drink limit, IMHO, that is crazy. No FA should be interjecting there personal standards onto customers. OTOH - You can never argue with a FA for another (alcoholic) drink. I sure hope the passenger sends in a letter.
I do believe the FAs need to have some leeway here. Maybe they chose the wrong words, but since they are not likely to have a meter for the pax to blow into, they need to use their judgement. Perhaps the pax was already two-sheets to the wind and didn't want to put them over the top.

None of us know all the facts, so this Monday-morning (it is Monday) quarterbacking is all we can do.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
I do believe the FAs need to have some leeway here. Maybe they chose the wrong words, but since they are not likely to have a meter for the pax to blow into, they need to use their judgement. Perhaps the pax was already two-sheets to the wind and didn't want to put them over the top.

None of us know all the facts, so this Monday-morning (it is Monday) quarterbacking is all we can do.
No Monday morning QB'ing here. Just reading what OP wrote.

You are reading into things that are just not in the OP post... We do know what happened here... "citing that it made her uncomfortable to serve more than that for a 2 hour flt."

Just a personal policy by a FA. No mention of anything else. If AA wants to make that policy, fine. But FA's making a policy up (not judgement on case by case) is wrong.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 9:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Platinum, and assorted hotel loyalty schemes.
CLT-DEN 468 on February 19. No PDB offered, 45 minutes in flight before first beverages offered. I rang the call bell, which went ignored. Meal service didn't start until 75 minutes into flight. Probably the worst flight attendant I've had in last year+.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 10:43 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
AA265 LAX-LIH A321S 2/19/16 NO PDB
- Catering was still onboard during the boarding process which began 40 minutes prior to scheduled departure
- Bottled water provided prior to door closing
- On-time departure
- Service in the air was top-notch by the one FA serving the 16 F passengers
Old Feb 23, 2016, 11:16 am

Just got back from a trip to GUA paid F.
I see lots of complaints around PDB and have stiffed myself in the past, but here is some positive news:

RIC/MIA PDB of your choice +awesome flight attendant who introduced herself and addressed everyone by name and checked in regularly. She even gave everyone in F their specific connecting gates.^

MIA/GUA PDB of your choice. Flight attendants would halt boarding so drinks could be delivered

GUA / MIA PDB of your choice.

MIA/CLT PDB of your choice. FAs also halted boarding econ so drinks could be delivered.

CLT/RIC PDB of your choice. 2 rounds before we pushed back ... flight was choppy so Capt asked FAs to stay seated so they served another round of snacks and drinks before push back. FAs were funny and energetic for a 22:40 departure.

That's 5 segments with a 100% success rate on early morning flights, afternoon flights, late night flights, and all pretty full. Some FAs were better than others, but none were bad and all in all it was a great trip.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I, too, have noticed a definite improvement in the pmAA PDB offering. Hope it continues, as I have 2 more pmAA flights today!

DEN-DFW - pmAA A321S PDB of choice! ^
DFW-TPA - pmAA MD80 PDB of choice! ^
Old Feb 23, 2016, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by rhg247
...That's 5 segments with a 100% success rate on early morning flights, afternoon flights, late night flights, and all pretty full. Some FAs were better than others, but none were bad and all in all it was a great trip.
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
I, too, have noticed a definite improvement in the pmAA PDB offering. Hope it continues, as I have 2 more pmAA flights today!

Outstanding!!!
Old Feb 23, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
Exclamation No mix of AA/US crews

Originally Posted by scottmlew
Unclear...it was a LAA route, but appeared to have a blended crew based on uniforms...with the primary offender being LAA.
AA and US crews are not mixed yet. The 'Fence' won't come down until sometime in 2017.

Last edited by sluggoaafa; Feb 23, 2016 at 2:18 pm Reason: highlighting
Old Feb 23, 2016, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Platinum, and assorted hotel loyalty schemes.
DEN-CLT #428 PDB of choice offered. Great crew throughout the flight.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 4:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
#521 MIA/CLT LUS Crew, tray of warm water or warm OJ (must have gotten the memo from LAA FAs about what constitutes a PDB)

#1924 CLT/BWI LUS Crew, FA asked me what I wanted as I boarded (obviously did not get the memo from LAA FAs)
Old Feb 23, 2016, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold

Same experience. Three flights last week, one 737, one 777, and one A319, all pmAA, all with full bar PDB.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Ok. Hoping this is a one-off.

TPA-DFW OLD pmAA B737. NO PDB. Nada, zip, zilch from this surly crew prior to take-off who went on a power-trip and threatened to kick-off a passenger.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN

TPA-DFW OLD pmAA B737. NO PDB. Nada, zip, zilch from this surly crew prior to take-off who went on a power-trip and threatened to kick-off a passenger.
Maybe they were really in a hurry to catch flight 137.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold

Make sure you report them. It's very difficult to believe but perhaps all of the complaints may be paying dividends (if you'll pardon the US DM reference)...
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:12 pm

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by rhg247
Just got back from a trip to GUA paid F.
I see lots of complaints around PDB and have stiffed myself in the past, but here is some positive news:

RIC/MIA PDB of your choice +awesome flight attendant who introduced herself and addressed everyone by name and checked in regularly. She even gave everyone in F their specific connecting gates.^

MIA/GUA PDB of your choice. Flight attendants would halt boarding so drinks could be delivered

GUA / MIA PDB of your choice.

MIA/CLT PDB of your choice. FAs also halted boarding econ so drinks could be delivered.

CLT/RIC PDB of your choice. 2 rounds before we pushed back ... flight was choppy so Capt asked FAs to stay seated so they served another round of snacks and drinks before push back. FAs were funny and energetic for a 22:40 departure.

That's 5 segments with a 100% success rate on early morning flights, afternoon flights, late night flights, and all pretty full. Some FAs were better than others, but none were bad and all in all it was a great trip.
Totally forgot about when they use to come to each seat in first and give connecting info....when and why did this stop

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.