Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 16, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is the archived thread of older posts. The current thread is:
Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB
Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
<content moved to top of wiki>
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:10 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum; Marriott Platinum
JFK-SJU, 2/11

Full open bar PDBs with a smile, and coats hung immediately after cabin door closed (it was freezing in NY!). Great flight and fantastic crew.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by brc757rr
2/10 LGA-PHL AA#2033 E-190 LUS - Full PDB
2/10 PHL-MIA AA#2051 A332 LUS - Full PDB
2/11 MIA-LGA AA#2240 B738 LAA - Full PDB. Almost fell out of my chair. Thanked the FA for doing a full PDB and she remarked that she thought it was a nice touch for the passengers. Lol.
As though they have the option of doing this? Lol indeed...
Old Feb 12, 2016, 8:59 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by cmd320
I had to bite my tongue when she said that.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:08 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by cmd320
I didn't really read it that way. It can be a nice touch whether or not it's mandatory.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by rjw242
I didn't really read it that way. It can be a nice touch whether or not it's mandatory.
^

One of the systemic problems with AA onboard service is the lack of any management hierarchy on board, no ISM or equivalent. So without any type of management presence, there is nothing to stop lazy cabin crew from being lazy.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:00 pm

There seems to be many opinions on this subject, vs facts. I often hear, "If they don't like it, why not quit". Could the same be true of customers that don't like it? Why not quit? I am not advocating for you to leave AA, but why keep banging your head on the wall if it is so bad? Serious question, and probably ducking
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:08 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skylady
There seems to be many opinions on this subject, vs facts. I often hear, "If they don't like it, why not quit". Could the same be true of customers that don't like it? Why not quit? I am not advocating for you to leave AA, but why keep banging your head on the wall if it is so bad? Serious question, and probably ducking
Just trying to get AA to deliver on service standards. The company tells us one thing, but does not drive home the need to deliver on the promise with employees.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by HNL
Just trying to get AA to deliver on service standards. The company tells us one thing, but does not drive home the need to deliver on the promise with employees.
Exactly.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:42 pm
Suspended

As long as they're gettin' those free upgrades, they 'ain't goin nowhere.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, 2MM, Bonvoy PLT, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Only problem with that is, those free upgrades ain't so happening anymore, at least IME!

LT PLT, I missed an upgrade on a DFW-PHX @ 2 in the afternoon on a Wednesday a couple months ago, booked two months in advance. One data point, I know, but I have several more of them. Is anything more in the wheelhouse for an u/g than a 2 hour flight in the middle of the afternoon on a Wednesday?
Old Feb 13, 2016, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
AA is avoidable to an extent, however the airline is now so large it's responsible for nearly a quarter of the domestic market. When there is that little competition and that much market coverage by a single player, it sometimes becomes difficult to avoid them 100% of the time.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Given there is no management present on-board to monitor this, it is up to the passengers to make the situation known outside the aircraft. Using Twitter does seem to be a good tool to do this. Plus making the posts public will encourage the unknowing passengers to report their service failures as well. And if there are many positive posts, it just might promote more sales in the front cabin (sorry to those wanting upgrades).

Back in August Post #1447 of an archived thread, it was suggested to use a standardized format to make it easy to monitor how they are doing. Using the #PDBServed tag will allow all of us to track how they are doing and prevent them from claiming it's not as bad as we think it is.

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed
Old Feb 13, 2016, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by United747
I know it's so trivial, but I hate not hanging the coat more than lack of PDB.
It bothers the heck out of me, too. There used to be a hypothesis that FAs hung up men's coats and consciously ignored female passengers with coats on our laps. I once sat there with my coat on my lap, my call light on over my head, until they came around to serve lunch. The FA finally asked, "Are you going to keep your coat on your lap?" At which point I pointed to the call light which had been lit up above me for about an hour at that point. She made some remark about how difficult it was to put coats away in the middle of meal service, and i told her I had asked both her and her colleague to put my coat aways since I boarded, and I was the first passenger to board. Ridiculous.

It's somehow comforting to know men get ignored on this issue as much as women do. Infuriating, but comforting, if that makes any sense.

The only times I get my coat hung up consistently, I pay for Five Star Service. Honestly, do premium AA passengers really have to pay extra to receive premium service? Maybe, if you pay for FSS, the FSS rep can serve you an open bar drink of choice before s/he leaves the aircraft. Because at this point, we know the FAs are not going to do it.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: BA GGL
Our problem is that we are married to BA, and thereby attached to AA. BA has gotten us used to flying F around the world for $2K using various upgrade instruments, which can be self-sustaining if you are a frequent flier. If they ever make that harder, we would jump to Air France in a heartbeat out of a direct preference for Delta.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
I'm doing just that and I have to imagine others are as well. To be clear I'm not completely leaving but I am pushing business that would otherwise have gone to AA to other carriers. I typically buy F (or J intl) which provides quite a bit of freedom though I do try to concentrate on a single alliance, obviously using non-US carriers when possible, but I have to say this year AA is making that difficult. I had probably taken a total of 2 DL flight over the last 15 years/2+MM miles through last year. This year I've done 5 so far, yes the SkyPeso is well the SkyPeso but I don't even have a DL account I just credit the flights to AS which seems to be a decent program.

Originally Posted by JonNYC
This mindset is the fundamental problem, I'm guessing that LCC did not had a large % of paid F and when they came to AA that's why they immediately began to trim things - thinking few if any had paid to sit there and that everyone would just be happy with some free slop and a slightly bigger seat. This becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, since management thinks everyone is stuck with AA because of the free upgrades they cheapen the product and eventually whats left are people that put up with it since they aren't actually paying to sit there anyways. Paid load factors for F go down, management says "see told you so" and probably makes even more cuts, rinse, repeat. Meanwhile other carriers are focusing heavily on getting pax to pay for their F product rather than upgrade and they seem to realize that a precursor to that is making investments in the product. It seems to be working

I wonder what % of AA flights have a ~60% paid load factor in F? And I would fall down laughing if there's someone in mgmt that thinks they are going to get 70% with the way they are going. Another datapoint would be VX, yes they have a small F cabin but there are times I cannot even book the flight I'd prefer because F is sold out, I'm sure they get the odd upgrade here and there but I suspect their paid % is quite high. They also have, IMO, the best domestic F product (excluding hard product for transcons)...wonder if those things are at all related@:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.