Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 16, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is the archived thread of older posts. The current thread is:
Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB
Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
<content moved to top of wiki>
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2016, 5:11 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by DoctorORD
FA's are not paid until the cabin doors are shut, that's why PDB service is inconsistent. Rather than take it up with the FA, why not tweet about it directly to AA?
First of all, how is that at all relevant? They are paid VERY well in the air to compensate and need to DO THEIR JOB while on the ground!!! Second, someone posted that FAs get $15/hour on the ground. If true, that is GOOD money!!

On a 1 PM departure flight today, the FA offered water and OJ. REALLY???? ONE PM people- OJ?????
Old Sep 5, 2016, 5:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
First of all, how is that at all relevant? They are paid VERY well in the air to compensate and need to DO THEIR JOB while on the ground!!! Second, someone posted that FAs get $15/hour on the ground. If true, that is GOOD money!!

On a 1 PM departure flight today, the FA offered water and OJ. REALLY???? ONE PM people- OJ?????
LOL totally agree....if you're going to be lazy do it with water, red/white wine and I am totally happy.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
LOL totally agree....if you're going to be lazy do it with water, red/white wine and I am totally happy.
I'm okay with the water and OJ choice ... as long as the OJ comes with Tito's vodka alongside!!
Old Sep 5, 2016, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
yesterday's PHX-YVR flight had some... bad FA's.

People got nearly yelled at twice. First because he didn't respond to "would you like to keep this" right away when the FA asked him about his terminal-bought coffee and he thought the FA was pointing to my PDB water. Second when the lady behind me asked for coffee and the FA said "it's not ready yet" but because she couldn't understand English well she repeated herself and the dude just more loudly said "I SAID IT'S NOT READY YET".

sheeesh

The plane wasn't even busy during boarding, it was pretty empty so no reason to feel rushed.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by songzm
9/5 AA1027 ORD-MCO LAA738 again no PDB and the service was very bad, FA did back to front which is wrong on this eastbound flight. I purposed chose a seat in the front and I didn't get a choice on the meal service. In addition to that the FA did her service by cart
Still running FEBO. This happens relatively frequently. Pre-order is the way to go.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by ryan182
Really? I've had this happen *many* times while in F and there's an announced substantial delay while waiting on the tarmac and the FAs serve drinks in F. A month ago during a rather long gound tour of JFK where we nearly went back to the gate due to worries on the 3 hour rule they even did a water service in Y.
In an extended tarmac delay, the discretion on allowing a service in any form (even if just a diet coke) is in the hands of the captain. OR if it reaches the FAA mandated time for a delay service. Distributing service items once the aircraft is pushed back is coordinated with the flight deck. A lot of times, delay situations are fluid and they don't want the FAs to rush to have to clean up. They could get clearance for take off at a moment's notice. Each situation is unique. But each one, should come with an appropriate excuse if drinks are not served.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by LINDEGR
They are paid VERY well in the air ... FAs get $15/hour on the ground.
Your sources are far from accurate.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 10:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
9/6/16 AA2021 BWI-CLT full PDB offered. Went with WR rocks- laughed w/ FA as how small the drink was... next time I'll order a double.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta GM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
09/02 - DFW-DTW AA301 - No PDB offered - On-time departure, no reason not to have PDB
0906 - DTW-DFW AA1241 - Full PDB offered
Old Sep 6, 2016, 11:26 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Yesterday, 9/5 both LAA flights on 737s included PDBs.
PBI - DFW at 1:30pm and DFW - MCI at 4:30pm.

Thumbs up to AA, as PDBs weren't happening on this route as recently as May.

While preparing the first row's PDBs in Palm Beach, I overheard a different flight attendant ask the First F/A (who was mixing the drinks), "why are you still doing those?"

Later during the meal service, I thanked the F/A for "doing pre-departure beverages even when other flight attendants don't." She smiled and thanked me for acknowledging her work.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 12:24 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by TheSkyGuy
Your sources are far from accurate.
This much I know: Flight attendants with more than 16 years with American earn $60.13 per hour.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by fastflyer
While preparing the first row's PDBs in Palm Beach, I overheard a different flight attendant ask the First F/A (who was mixing the drinks), "why are you still doing those?"
I fear that stuff like *that* is going to dissuade LUS FAs from carrying out the service once the fleets are mixed.

I really haven't noticed much of any improvement in terms of PDB on LAA. There was a short time where it seemed to get better, but I haven't gotten much more than water and OJ lately (on the few flights that carry out any kind of PDB service).

My LUS PDB percentage is still 100%. Same with DL, where they manage to serve a PDB no matter how late the aircraft is or how jam-packed the aisles are. It's a good thing I still like American...
Old Sep 7, 2016, 3:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
MSP-LGA
E175

Full PDB despite being 30 mins late boarding, coats hung etc.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
I'm not sure if this is just a LUS CLT-ATL-CLT thing or other direct competition DL-AA hub routes but does anybody else notice how they routinely have the mini bottles of water out on the arm rest as soon as you board similar to what Delta always has? It's near 100% on CLT-ATL-CLT which i've done several times this year and on the only time I ever did ATL-PHX route as well.

this past Friday morning the LUS FA provided water bottles and orange juice cuplets on the arm rests before boarding and did a full PDB in addition to that (I got coffee). Excellent service for such a short flight, and pretty funny to have three PDBs at once
Old Sep 7, 2016, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lds89
I'm not sure if this is just a LUS CLT-ATL-CLT thing or other direct competition DL-AA hub routes but does anybody else notice how they routinely have the mini bottles of water out on the arm rest as soon as you board similar to what Delta always has? It's near 100% on CLT-ATL-CLT which i've done several times this year and on the only time I ever did ATL-PHX route as well.

this past Friday morning the LUS FA provided water bottles and orange juice cuplets on the arm rests before boarding and did a full PDB in addition to that (I got coffee). Excellent service for such a short flight, and pretty funny to have three PDBs at once
I've never encountered this on LUS or when I have flown ATL-CLT....when I did fly this route the service was very good for such a short flight but I did not experience what you're describing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.