Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 16, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is the archived thread of older posts. The current thread is:
Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB
Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
<content moved to top of wiki>
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2016, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by krlcomm
Wow... if I was in row 1 and that happened I would be seriously burnt. If that's AA SOP (or AA tolerated) that's pathetic.
I meant 6A and 6D, it was J not F. Either way I agree. I don't know how many people even noticed as they didn't announce it. It's a good cost saving strategy as there was minimal consumption, as opposed to when it's offered everyone grabs at least something
Old Feb 28, 2016, 4:53 pm

Rare trip for me on United this afternoon, and our quite delightful FA in F is delivering a full "if we have it you got it" PDB service.

Edited to add she's just told passing passengers heading to coach and trying to use the F bins that the open overhead space in F has to be reserved as we still have one or two F pax to board.

Nice work so far.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Hmmmmm, not sure, but, seems like *maybe*, potentially, some mixed messages from AA to FA's on this subject:

https://twitter.com/xJonNYC/status/704127492249014272
Attached Images  
Old Feb 28, 2016, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Hmmmmm, not sure, but, seems like *maybe*, potentially, some mixed messages from AA to FA's on this subject:

https://twitter.com/xJonNYC/status/704127492249014272
Well that's quite eye opening. I'll certainly remember that little piece of information the next time I think about purchasing an F ticket on AA over a competitor.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 10:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Talk about #goingforgreat amazing how Delta can "walk on water" on this topic but this is impossible on the worlds largest airline.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 11:23 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage EXP, World of Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Rewards Titanium, MGM Rewards Gold
2/27 AA4992 CLT-CVG LUS CRJ900 - Full PDB
2/27 AA5073 CVG-CLT LUS CRJ900 - Full PDB (They had Jack Daniel's Honey on board. Crew was quite shocked to see it as well).
2/27 AA1781 CLT-MSY LUS A319 (Refurb) - Full PDB
Old Feb 29, 2016, 12:22 am

Money talks, Delta does everything better enjoy!!
Old Feb 29, 2016, 6:00 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by satman40
Depends on the work load, did you ask for a drink..I have never been refused, when I ask.
Originally Posted by ZoomVT
Once in the air, took orders, then brought back extra mixer and booze for a self service 2nd drink. Fine by me.
After you hit the bell, you can always add "Oh, I just didn't want you to get back up again." Sadly, that usually gets you an extra mini-bottle.

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Wow; just wow. Catering issues? Let's call a spade a spade, it's AApathy.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 8:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Wow; just wow. Catering issues? Let's call a spade a spade, it's AApathy.
On who's part, in your opinion?
Old Feb 29, 2016, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Yes, it would be nice if everything fell into place and the service was provided as expected. But reality says there will be reasonable exceptions (extremely short turnarounds or catering issues). I have no doubt the lAAzy FAs will have an excuse and it's expected AA will take them at their word. Until AA puts some form of management on board or at least does spot checks, I don't expect this to change.

If there is no apparent reason for not delivering the PDB, then asking for it is appropriate (goes for wanting more than water & OJ too). Reporting the failures appears to be getting attention and continuing just might get some action.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 11:19 am

AA3079 2/28 CRP-DFW - Aircraft left 15 minutes early and FA was still able to do drinks

AA2400 2/28 DFW-SJC - No drinks.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 11:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RogerD408
...Reporting the failures appears to be getting attention and continuing just might get some action.
Although I definitely agree that people should write in when there's PDB-fail, this latest revelation, to me, means the the equation is now potentially much more complicated than that-- in a bad way.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I appreciate Skylady's (and other employee) input here but I don't understand the consistent AA employee response of "Enjoy Delta!"......shouldn't you want to do better than the competition? Are people really settling for Bronze level of service?

I deal with customers every day all day and would never speak to or dream of telling something like that to my customers....let alone if my competitor actually is much better like in the case of Delta (or gasp even United).
Old Feb 29, 2016, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I appreciate Skylady's (and other employee) input here but I don't understand the consistent AA employee response of "Enjoy Delta!"......shouldn't you want to do better than the competition? Are people really settling for Bronze level of service?

I deal with customers every day all day and would never speak to or dream of telling something like that to my customers....let alone if my competitor actually is much better like in the case of Delta (or gasp even United).
Right now, with all the airline's making tens of millions - and no direct compensation metrics for customer satisfaction, it is easy for employee's to take this attitude. (Think US Auto workers in the 70's.) Without a proper incentive, it is hard for any business to convince employees to change their attitudes/behaviors, especially if they consider it 'extra' or 'non-paid' work.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 4:33 pm

Right now we are being hammered by Delta in every aspect. The only way to get AAs attention, is by valuable customers jumping ship. That is not what I am advocating, just pointing out the glaringly obvious.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.