Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 16, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is the archived thread of older posts. The current thread is:
Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB
Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
<content moved to top of wiki>
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2016, 8:31 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by cmd320
No, FA was completely out of line and should be reassigned to a desk job away from customers. This kind of behavior from any flight attendant but especially from one in the F cabin is completely unacceptable.
Agreed. There's an old rule of thumb where 1 drink per hour keeps the average person under the legal BAC limit, and perhaps FAs are told this in training, but there's no "very strict policy" on this (nor would such a policy make sense). As long as an adult passenger isn't visibly intoxicated, there's no valid reason to deny them a drink.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by cmd320
No, FA was completely out of line and should be reassigned to a desk job away from customers. This kind of behavior from any flight attendant but especially from one in the F cabin is completely unacceptable.
I'm going to DM twitter about the incident.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 8:37 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Agree with the above. I've had 3 screwdrivers in the first hour many times with no comments from the FA.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 8:40 am

Strict policy baloney. I can't count how many times I've been on BOS-LGA or BOS-PHL (short flights), had a PDB, then a drink after we take off, and the FA brings another in a plastic cup (unrequested, and in plastic for landing!) when we are supposed to put our laptops away.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 9:22 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
I'm going to DM twitter about the incident.
Absolutely! ^ And may not hurt to send in a note via the website to Customer Relations as well.

I know it's hard to maintain consistency in any organization of that size, but I'm tired of "rogue" gate agents, flight attendants, ticketing agents, EXP agents, etc. making up their own rules and trying to sell us BS "AA policies."
Old Nov 2, 2016, 10:09 am

I mean...was I out of line? I was drinking single shot screwdrivers, basically 1 an hour.
100% you were not. Over the Atlantic now on LH. Free flowing without judgment. (3 before departure.)

TG before this... almost disappointed cannot give you MORE Dom!!!

Crazy. Please tweet/right in/both
Old Nov 2, 2016, 10:14 am

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
I have run into this "1 drink per hour" BS once. It was a short flight (just under an hour). Got a Jack/Zero once we got up in the air, she came around with the basket, but she refused to do any refills on alcohol due to this "rule". She at least was apologetic about it and not rude, but still.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by asf-07
I have run into this "1 drink per hour" BS once. It was a short flight (just under an hour). Got a Jack/Zero once we got up in the air, she came around with the basket, but she refused to do any refills on alcohol due to this "rule". She at least was apologetic about it and not rude, but still.
100% important to report this crap.

Again, on LH now, and my glass is NEVER empty on 10 hour flight. Eventually FA will win when I say no more.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Global321
Again, on LH now, and my glass is NEVER empty on 10 hour flight. Eventually FA will win when I say no more.
That's normally been my experience on AA as well (at least when the crews are decent) - I end up cutting myself off before the FA does.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I mean...was I out of line? I was drinking single shot screwdrivers, basically 1 an hour.
no my eye roll was meant towards the FA, not you.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 1:58 pm

American Airlines = lazy airlines.

Check out this site http://hub.aa.com/en/ga/category/47297

It has the meals offered and the procedure a FA should follow for a First Class passenger. It always starts off with a Welcome and offer a PDB!

I am going to MIA FC from ORD later this month on vacation. I sent American an email about this policy. I did receive a reply and it started off with the reasons why a PDB would not be offered. All make sense (leaving on time, catering issue, etc) and we agree there are times when it is not possible to be offered one. The email also stressed that I could hit the call button and ask the flight attendant for a PDB of my choice. Oh, the Lord hates a coward!

If there not going to offer one, why open the door or closing it by pressing them to do something they do not want to do?

United and Delta always offer a PDB unless there is a valid reason.

On American:

My batting average is about .400 for getting a PDB and .200 for the open bar choice.

A .400 average would make me a HOF baseball player, a .200 average a millionaire!

Last edited by stoehrcov; Nov 2, 2016 at 2:05 pm Reason: Added additional comments.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 2:05 pm

I had a flight attendant tell me once, "My job is to save your behind (a##) is what she said. Not kiss it. Also, she was not "on the clock yet" The issue came up because I requested a PDB double Jack and she said in MIA, we do not have Jack on board. I took a single scotch. The gentleman in front got his Jack after me.

I asked her why, when she came with my drink. She was not prepared to reply and got defensive. For the rest of the flight, I asked another FA to serve me.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
no my eye roll was meant towards the FA, not you.
Oh I know it wasn't at me. You and I are usually share similar views on this thread. 😀
Old Nov 2, 2016, 2:29 pm

Update: I sent a DM to the Twitter team and received a response within a few minutes. They could not apologize enough and said in no way should I have been talked to like that. I really appreciate how they follow up.

Back to PDB's:
11/2 LGA-CLT AA#581 LUS A321 - Full PDB

11/2 CLT-LAX AA#1737 LUS A321 - Full PDB by a wonderful FA.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rjw242
That's normally been my experience on AA as well (at least when the crews are decent) - I end up cutting myself off before the FA does.
I always cut myself off at the proper time too. Often the FA gives me an odd look when I switch to diet coke.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.