Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 16, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is the archived thread of older posts. The current thread is:
Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB
Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
<content moved to top of wiki>
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2017, 8:23 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
It sounds like the issue could be avoided by catering the drinks in Canada -- which I had assumed -- but I suppose that would just lead to the reciprocal problem when landing in the US?
Old Jul 4, 2017, 6:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
MIA-JFK
LAA 757 (24FC version)
Water only
Asked if a Bloody Mary was possible and was told with a reluctant "I dont think we have time" despite boarding continuing for over 15 minutes)

Bloody Mary did appear so I guess full PDB for me just not the rest of FC.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 8:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Today MCO/MIA 738 left nearly two hours late (with a bunch of missed connections for the night) but the FA wade through the crowd to do PDBs.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Today MCO/MIA 738 left nearly two hours late (with a bunch of missed connections for the night) but the FA wade through the crowd to do PDBs.
Bad weather and severe thunderstorms at MCO this afternoon. Ramp was closed for about 90 minutes, maybe more. You would think in 2017 they could figure out a way to keep the operation running even in lightning, but I digress.

Still, good that they offered a PDB. Been in that situation a number of times trying to get out of MCO in the summer transferring onto intercontinental flights, and in that scenario, one definitely appreciates a PDB even more than usual.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 10:27 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Mariott Gold, AMEX Plat, US CP
Each time I've been offered a PDB of water or OJ I just ask for a different drink and have never been refused.

Don't be a sheep...
Old Jul 5, 2017, 8:46 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by Twohitwonder
At Republic, we have to lock our liquor kits prior to landing in Canada and the seal can't be removed until we are above 10000 feet. So, unfortunately, we are unable to serve any alcohol on the ground in Canada. Some flight attendants lock the entire cart leaving us access to only water and juice. Some of us make sure the alcohol is separate from the rest of the drinks prior to locking the kit.
I had heard that if the airline caters the alcohol from a Canadian source, you can do PDB. As the airline is bringing the US booze into Canada, not paying taxes or alerting customs to it, they cannot serve on the ground in Canada.

Thanks for the inside tip Twohitwonder
Old Jul 5, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
AA0905 DFW-MIA 07/05 - Another insulting tray of ice water
Old Jul 5, 2017, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by william142
Each time I've been offered a PDB of water or OJ I just ask for a different drink and have never been refused.

Don't be a sheep...
FWIW I have politely asked and have been told: "we'll get you anything you want once in the air" or "not enough time" or just flat out "no".
Old Jul 5, 2017, 5:19 pm

AA1047 SFO-ORD 6/29 -- Nothing
Old Jul 5, 2017, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
It sounds like the issue could be avoided by catering the drinks in Canada -- which I had assumed -- but I suppose that would just lead to the reciprocal problem when landing in the US?
I'm currently at my yearly requalification. I asked management today why our policy prohibits us from serving out of the country. I always assumed it was taxes. It's actually our liquor license. We can only serve alcohol in the US. Hopefully this changes as we have flight for AA in North, Central and South America and the Caribbean.
I will add they are now instructing new-hires and FAs in recurrent to ensure the alcohol is in a cart separate from soda and juice and to leave some coffee supplies out of the locked cart. Unfortunately, as I'm sure some of you have encountered, there are some quite lazy FAs.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by The smallest state
I had heard that if the airline caters the alcohol from a Canadian source, you can do PDB. As the airline is bringing the US booze into Canada, not paying taxes or alerting customs to it, they cannot serve on the ground in Canada.

Thanks for the inside tip Twohitwonder
I gave a more in-depth reply as a reply above.

Happy to help. I should thank my frequent travelers here. I love hearing what makes a flight great for you all as well.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Twohitwonder
I'm currently at my yearly requalification. I asked management today why our policy prohibits us from serving out of the country. I always assumed it was taxes. It's actually our liquor license. We can only serve alcohol in the US. Hopefully this changes as we have flight for AA in North, Central and South America and the Caribbean.
I will add they are now instructing new-hires and FAs in recurrent to ensure the alcohol is in a cart separate from soda and juice and to leave some coffee supplies out of the locked cart. Unfortunately, as I'm sure some of you have encountered, there are some quite lazy FAs.
Ah! That makes sense.

When I flew AA900 out of EZE they did offer Champagne. I think that was AA-operated; if I book now AA.com lets me choose seats on it. So I would guess that they have a license there at least.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
AA1210 MSP-DFW July 5

Excellent pre departure service. Any PDB was available and served very quickly.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:57 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Ah! That makes sense.

When I flew AA900 out of EZE they did offer Champagne. I think that was AA-operated; if I book now AA.com lets me choose seats on it. So I would guess that they have a license there at least.
They had "sparking wine" as a PBD on Tuesday nights EZE-JFK. I've also had it from LHR and NRT for sure that I can remember. However I think its limited to just those bottles.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Ah! That makes sense.

I doubt that Republic is taking over the long-haul deep SA routes. When Twohitwonder said South America, I can only think that it means northern South America. Even then, those are pretty long flights for a regional airline; I'd like to think that they would get the liquor license sorted before that much international expansion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.