Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2022, 10:11 am

Maybe this is obvious ... but if you have a Main Cabin fare .... and you decide to change your flight --- I understand there is no change fee, and you only have to pay the fare difference (if any).

My question --- can you change the flight destination in this case? Are they essentially fungible credits when you cancel/ change your flight?
Old Jan 10, 2022, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by peterparker20
Maybe this is obvious ... but if you have a Main Cabin fare .... and you decide to change your flight --- I understand there is no change fee, and you only have to pay the fare difference (if any).

My question --- can you change the flight destination in this case? Are they essentially fungible credits when you cancel/ change your flight?
Yes.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 7:07 am

Question from a UK based newbie just starting to pay attention to fees and taxes on aadvantage award flights:

In April 2021 I booked LHR-HKG-AKL return in J on CX for January/February 2022 using Aadvantage miles. All done online via UK aadvantage login. Taxes and fees were £249.52 out and £36.10 back (per receipt emailed by AA), but my credit card was actually charged £258.32 and £41.20. Transactions were in sterling - no conversion apparent on receipt or credit card statement. Why would there be a discrepancy in the amounts ? Looks like some hidden fee ?

In October 2021, with no chance of NZ reopening to tourists in time, I cancelled all the flights over the phone (called a London geographic telephone number, put through to a US agent). Miles reinstated instantly, refunds back to credit card same day, great so far, but... refunds were £186.77 and £29.79. I've been stiffed again ! GBP/USD exchange rate was very similar on both dates even if relevant. Have I been charged some kind of further processing fee ? % of each fee refunded is different though, and I thought AA were waiving all reinstatement fees throughout 2021 at least. Is any element of the original taxes and fees non-refundable ?

(all the above is per passenger, 2 passengers total so twice the incentive to get to the bottom of it)

I need to call AA about some other stuff, but would like to be sure of my ground before bringing this up. Many thanks.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 11:50 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
I can find an award ticket CDG-xHEL-xTOK-SYD and similar routings for 85K in J on a mix of oneworld carriers. On the date I want, searching CDG-SYD returns no results but if I search CDG-HKG (CX) and then HKG-SYD (QF) with about three hours in HKG, there is availability, but the engine wants to charge me two awards.

Is this correct? Would a phone agent be able to sell it to me for 85K?
Old Jan 12, 2022, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by danger
I can find an award ticket CDG-xHEL-xTOK-SYD and similar routings for 85K in J on a mix of oneworld carriers. On the date I want, searching CDG-SYD returns no results but if I search CDG-HKG (CX) and then HKG-SYD (QF) with about three hours in HKG, there is availability, but the engine wants to charge me two awards.

Is this correct? Would a phone agent be able to sell it to me for 85K?
It should be bookable as a single award. I would put both on hold using multi-city at aa.com, then call AA to have it repriced correctly.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 6:15 pm

First time Alaska flyer. Trying to figure out the formula for crediting an Alaska flight to AA. I have no status with Alaska, and have Platinum with American. These flights will be in January 2022. Just want to make sure I am understanding the formula before I decide how to book and credit the flight to maximize earnings.

It will be an "I" fare, approx 2500mi, and $300 [taxes/fees excluded]
Crediting to American: 2500mi*1.5=3750 EQM, 2500mi*.3=750 EQD
Crediting to Alaska: 2500 EQM, 300 EQM

When flying Alaska in 1st I understand you can access the Alaska lounges. If one of the airports do not have an Alaska lounge...do you get access to an Admiral Lounge instead in that airport?

Thanks in advance, and have a happy 2021.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by JustDandy
First time Alaska flyer. Trying to figure out the formula for crediting an Alaska flight to AA. I have no status with Alaska, and have Platinum with American. These flights will be in January 2022. Just want to make sure I am understanding the formula before I decide how to book and credit the flight to maximize earnings.

Will this and any other oneworld and JetBlue travel you have planned for this month and February potentially get you Platinum Pro or EXP status? If not, then the EQM and EQD earnings are largely irrelevant. Instead, you should focus on how many Loyalty Points you would earn under AA's new elite-qualification scheme.
vasantn likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by JustDandy
You won't get AA EQMs or EQDs if you credit the flight to AS.

Are you trying to get to PPro for 2022? Otherwise, EQMs and EQDs are meaningless.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
If you want to try dealing with the issue by email, this address was posted just last month in this forum by another FTer:

[email protected]
This forum is invaluable. After posting here about my missing miles and refund I emailed the address provided by Guv1976 and also googled some AA execs on Monday. Today I heard from them and all is settled including the missing miles and refunds. Many thanks to all who helped so graciously. It’s certainly appreciated.
vasantn, guv1976, hsmall and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 3:24 am

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Amtrak
JAL flights on "D" class - where to credit for faster path to elite

What's the best way to earn status and miles on AA.

Last edited by psusaver; Jan 15, 2022 at 10:17 am Reason: Useless forum, no one answers anything anyway
Old Jan 13, 2022, 7:55 am
formerly DreAAmliner

Programs: AA EXP
If i book a flight one way with cash through AA, and the return using Avios through BA, can AA combine the PNRs to protect my itinerary?
Old Jan 13, 2022, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by DreAAmliner
If i book a flight one way with cash through AA, and the return using Avios through BA, can AA combine the PNRs to protect my itinerary?
No.

Just out of curiosity, assuming this is a normal roundtrip, what exactly are you trying to "protect" by having everything on one PNR?
Old Jan 13, 2022, 9:02 am
formerly DreAAmliner

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
No.

Just out of curiosity, assuming this is a normal roundtrip, what exactly are you trying to "protect" by having everything on one PNR?
I feel like i have read about issues with obligations of carriage if two separate one-way tickets are booked, instead of a round trip. i may be confusing this with something else though.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 1:43 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
It should be bookable as a single award. I would put both on hold using multi-city at aa.com, then call AA to have it repriced correctly.
Success with that approach.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 10:18 pm

Do we have enough time to make our connection?

We arrive in LAX at the TBIT at 6:05 am on AA72 from SYD, and have a connection with AA to Aspen that leaves at 8:00 am from Gate 52, which I understand to be a remote gate to which we travel by bus from Terminal 5.

Is 1:55 going to be enough time to make our connection? Seems optimistic to me, but there are no other options with AA other than via Phoenix or Dallas...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.