FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread
Old Jan 11, 2022, 7:07 am
warberry

Question from a UK based newbie just starting to pay attention to fees and taxes on aadvantage award flights:

In April 2021 I booked LHR-HKG-AKL return in J on CX for January/February 2022 using Aadvantage miles. All done online via UK aadvantage login. Taxes and fees were £249.52 out and £36.10 back (per receipt emailed by AA), but my credit card was actually charged £258.32 and £41.20. Transactions were in sterling - no conversion apparent on receipt or credit card statement. Why would there be a discrepancy in the amounts ? Looks like some hidden fee ?

In October 2021, with no chance of NZ reopening to tourists in time, I cancelled all the flights over the phone (called a London geographic telephone number, put through to a US agent). Miles reinstated instantly, refunds back to credit card same day, great so far, but... refunds were £186.77 and £29.79. I've been stiffed again ! GBP/USD exchange rate was very similar on both dates even if relevant. Have I been charged some kind of further processing fee ? % of each fee refunded is different though, and I thought AA were waiving all reinstatement fees throughout 2021 at least. Is any element of the original taxes and fees non-refundable ?

(all the above is per passenger, 2 passengers total so twice the incentive to get to the bottom of it)

I need to call AA about some other stuff, but would like to be sure of my ground before bringing this up. Many thanks.