Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2022, 2:51 pm

AA Lounge Access Narita and Haneda

Is the AAdvantage Executive (Admirals Club benefit) accepted at the JAL clubs in Tokyo?
Old Oct 25, 2022, 2:53 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by dwsebert
Is the AAdvantage Executive (Admirals Club benefit) accepted at the JAL clubs in Tokyo?
No, there is no reciprocity between AA and JAL lounge memberships. Would need to access based on class of service or Oneworld status.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by dwsebert
Originally Posted by thatmikereed
No, there is no reciprocity between AA and JAL lounge memberships. Would need to access based on class of service or Oneworld status.
That's not entirely true, if you're an Admirals Club member with a same day AA flight then you have access to the JL Sakura business lounges at NRT & HND.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
That's not entirely true, if you're an Admirals Club member with a same day AA flight then you have access to the JL Sakura business lounges at NRT & HND.
When did this become real? I didn't get this years ago.

Also, I stand corrected. I was not aware the Sakura lounges were now Admiral's Club partner lounges.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thatmikereed
When did this become real? I didn't get this years ago.

Also, I stand corrected. I was not aware the Sakura lounges were now Admiral's Club partner lounges.
If it was years ago then I'm guessing it was NRT and at that time there wouldn't have been reciprocal access since AA had an actual Admirals Club there until early 2020 or so.

But at international long-haul outstations where there is no Admirals Club location, AA has always provided AC members with access to a partner or 3rd party lounge provided they're departing on a same day AA flight.

The list of locations is below at aa.com under Partner Lounges:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...-locations.jsp
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
If it was years ago then I'm guessing it was NRT and at that time there wouldn't have been reciprocal access since AA had an actual Admirals Club there until early 2020 or so.
Yep. Was late 2018/early 2019. Thanks, that's great to know.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Dumb BE questions

These are really basic questions, but I've never booked Basic Economy before and want to make sure I understand all the nuances before I book.

1. Do I get LPs and RDMs? (I don't need them but would like to know.)
2. If I cancel after the 2-day window, do I lose my money in full? Or do I get a credit?
3. Can I upfare from BE if it looks like my upgrade is unlikely to clear?

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 3:21 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by vasantn
These are really basic questions, but I've never booked Basic Economy before and want to make sure I understand all the nuances before I book.

1. Do I get LPs and RDMs? (I don't need them but would like to know.)
2. If I cancel after the 2-day window, do I lose my money in full? Or do I get a credit?
3. Can I upfare from BE if it looks like my upgrade is unlikely to clear?

Thanks in advance.
1) yes
2) Not sure - never did this. My assumption is credit
3) Looks like you are EXPlatinum, so if you buy BE, you will be able to select a seat in main cabin extra (if available)- not necessary to pay for upgraded fare.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vasantn
Originally Posted by WannaTheater
2) Not sure - never did this. My assumption is credit
AFAIK BE tickets are use it or lose it, no changes allowed and if you cancel you don't receive any credit.

For anyone with status the "no changes" restriction is really the only drawback between BE and regular economy.

Otherwise, if you could cancel a BE ticket for a credit, then there wouldn't be any difference.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Curious to know what others have experienced concerning the time line for waitlisted upgrades possibly clearing for AA international flights...

My wife and yours truly are flying from LHR nonstop to DFW the last week of November in premium economy via full fare tickets (fare code W).

I called AA several months ago and we were placed on the upgrade waitlist for AA 21 with 15,000 miles per person required to upgrade to business class if these seats become available.

If these biz class upgrades become available, will AA wait until the last moment to clear us?
Old Oct 26, 2022, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon
Curious to know what others have experienced concerning the time line for waitlisted upgrades possibly clearing for AA international flights...

My wife and yours truly are flying from LHR nonstop to DFW the last week of November in premium economy via full fare tickets (fare code W).

I called AA several months ago and we were placed on the upgrade waitlist for AA 21 with 15,000 miles per person required to upgrade to business class if these seats become available.

If these biz class upgrades become available, will AA wait until the last moment to clear us?
Business seats are available however AA just hasn't made any upgrade space available yet; For a route like LHR-DFW, unless the flight is just unusually wide open in business, you're not likely to see upgrade space open up until around 24-36 hours before the flight.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 12:16 pm

General Questions for newbie

Hello

1. Why can't I no longer redeem miles with Fiji Airways?

2. If already have the Citi AA card, can I upgrade to the Executive World Elite Mastercard and get the Bonus miles?

3. To book award flights, will AA.com give me the same results as calling?
Old Oct 26, 2022, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MiamiFlyer305
Hello

1. Why can't I no longer redeem miles with Fiji Airways?

2. If already have the Citi AA card, can I upgrade to the Executive World Elite Mastercard and get the Bonus miles?

3. To book award flights, will AA.com give me the same results as calling?
1) You can redeem AA miles for flights on FJ, you can search and book at aa.com.
2) If you just upgrade your existing Citi account to the Executive then you would not receive any sign up bonus miles. If you want the sign up bonus miles then you'd need to just apply for a brand new Executive account. It is no problem to have both cards at the same time.
3) Generally speaking yes, although there are some instances where aa.com can be glitchy and not show all availability, at which point it can be helpful to call and see if an agent can see/book award space.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 2:56 pm

For some reason I do not see FJ at all when doing random searches. Do you see it? Trying to do MIA-NAN.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by MiamiFlyer305
For some reason I do not see FJ at all when doing random searches. Do you see it? Trying to do MIA-NAN.
FJ awards are only available at the MileSAAver level. In order for it to show up on an award search from MIA, you would need MileSAAver availability on AA (or perhaps AS or B6) from MIA to an FJ gateway, as well as MileSAAver availability on the FJ leg.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.