Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining to start reopening September 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining to start reopening September 2021

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2021, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SKYEG
Interesting to see that they kept the drinks still self serve at JFK FL, with the amount of touch points! Things are slowly going back to normal... I hope
There is often an attendant standing there to pour it for you like in MIA and ORD. Or has that changed since Covid? I prefer to pour my own and select the right temperature bottle and pour my own amount.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
There is often an attendant standing there to pour it for you like in MIA and ORD. Or has that changed since Covid? I prefer to pour my own and select the right temperature bottle and pour my own amount.
Was at the JFK FL earlier, and it was all self-pour. Even a self-serve Bloody Mary station toward the back. My recollection was the set up was very similar to before, I don’t recall an attendant pouring drinks there before.

There was someone offering champagne right at the entrance. I assume this is a re-opening thing, since I definitely do not remember that from before. More champagne available self-serve in the lounge.

After almost 2 years from my last FL visit, it was so nice to be back in there.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
This will be kind of an abbreviated trip report. I've never been to a FL or FFD so it was all new to me, but probably some who are curious how it is since reopening will find it useful.

I arrived at JFK around 10AM on Sunday. The Flagship Check-in was of course quick and they all but twisted my arm to use FFD, not that it was going to take much. The FL breakfast buffet was reasonably nice, although I just nibbled at it since I was planning to have lunch in FFD. There was a self-serve bloody mary station and self-serve champagne (no one offering it on entry though), and I'm not enough of a champagne drinker to really notice if the stuff in FL was better than FFD.

I went into FFD at about 11:01 (since my flight was at 12:30). I'll try to post the menu, which I took a picture of but I'm a little clumsy about moving photos around. I had the roast N.Y Strip, which was 4 smallish pieces in what I think was some kind of wine reduction sauce with mushrooms, and a sweet something-or-other for desert. And more champagne. I'd have had a lot more champagne but as I said, I had to get to my flight.

On the plane, the FA's made no attempt to help pax make up their beds, but keep in mind it was a daytime 6-hour flight. I pretty much went right to sleep (I had woken up at 5:15AM for a 3-hour drive to JFK) but I asked the FA for champagne. When I woke up there was a plastic cup of something that I suspect was near a grape once, but it wasn't especially appetizing. The menu was uninspiring but I wasn't hungry anyway, and later on we got the snack basket and a chocolate chip cookie. All told, the onboard service wasn't much better (if at all) than regular F transcon service. I've flown plenty of domestic routes in lie-flats so the seat itself was neither a surprise nor overly spacious. (I was supposed to be in F on a MIA-LAX 77W last month but I cancelled due to COVID.)

I did ask about amenities available on my return, as I arrive back at JFK at 9:48PM next Monday, and I was told that FFD closes at 10:30 and FL closes at 11:30 and was told that yes, I could definitely access them.

There was someone who asked about multiple access to FFD during a day, and I would say this, when I checked in they gave me a card that was my access ticket to FFD. So you probably can't access it multiple times per day.

FL was pretty much empty when I was there - probably not more than 15 pax in it. I didn't access the AC at LAX on arrival, as I used my connection time to escape to the nearby Hyatt for a drink with a stunning blonde, who hopefully I'll see again soon. I had a 5-hour layover because my original 3:30 flight was cancelled and I was moved to the 12:30, but I never changed my connection.

I'll update this next week after I return; flying back from SFO.

NB: I only paid around $1K for each of the tickets referenced (MIA-LAX, JFK-LAX, SFO-JFK). I got them last March when fares were depressed, and as noticed I cancelled the MIA-LAX ticket, and I might have done the same with this week except that I cut back all my 2021 travel but I still wanted to get the 2K EQD for EP requalification.
DMPHL and SKYEG like this.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Anyone at MIA FL today?? How is it? Do the most incompetent lounge agents even know its open? I could see them sending people to AC who actually have FL access lol
Old Sep 28, 2021, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by redtop43
This will be kind of an abbreviated trip report. I've never been to a FL or FFD so it was all new to me, but probably some who are curious how it is since reopening will find it useful.

I arrived at JFK around 10AM on Sunday. The Flagship Check-in was of course quick and they all but twisted my arm to use FFD, not that it was going to take much. The FL breakfast buffet was reasonably nice, although I just nibbled at it since I was planning to have lunch in FFD. There was a self-serve bloody mary station and self-serve champagne (no one offering it on entry though), and I'm not enough of a champagne drinker to really notice if the stuff in FL was better than FFD.

I went into FFD at about 11:01 (since my flight was at 12:30). I'll try to post the menu, which I took a picture of but I'm a little clumsy about moving photos around. I had the roast N.Y Strip, which was 4 smallish pieces in what I think was some kind of wine reduction sauce with mushrooms, and a sweet something-or-other for desert. And more champagne. I'd have had a lot more champagne but as I said, I had to get to my flight.

On the plane, the FA's made no attempt to help pax make up their beds, but keep in mind it was a daytime 6-hour flight. I pretty much went right to sleep (I had woken up at 5:15AM for a 3-hour drive to JFK) but I asked the FA for champagne. When I woke up there was a plastic cup of something that I suspect was near a grape once, but it wasn't especially appetizing. The menu was uninspiring but I wasn't hungry anyway, and later on we got the snack basket and a chocolate chip cookie. All told, the onboard service wasn't much better (if at all) than regular F transcon service. I've flown plenty of domestic routes in lie-flats so the seat itself was neither a surprise nor overly spacious. (I was supposed to be in F on a MIA-LAX 77W last month but I cancelled due to COVID.)

I did ask about amenities available on my return, as I arrive back at JFK at 9:48PM next Monday, and I was told that FFD closes at 10:30 and FL closes at 11:30 and was told that yes, I could definitely access them.

There was someone who asked about multiple access to FFD during a day, and I would say this, when I checked in they gave me a card that was my access ticket to FFD. So you probably can't access it multiple times per day.

FL was pretty much empty when I was there - probably not more than 15 pax in it. I didn't access the AC at LAX on arrival, as I used my connection time to escape to the nearby Hyatt for a drink with a stunning blonde, who hopefully I'll see again soon. I had a 5-hour layover because my original 3:30 flight was cancelled and I was moved to the 12:30, but I never changed my connection.

I'll update this next week after I return; flying back from SFO.

NB: I only paid around $1K for each of the tickets referenced (MIA-LAX, JFK-LAX, SFO-JFK). I got them last March when fares were depressed, and as noticed I cancelled the MIA-LAX ticket, and I might have done the same with this week except that I cut back all my 2021 travel but I still wanted to get the 2K EQD for EP requalification.
Thx for the report.. They took the card from you at FFD I assume. I wonder if I just say "I'll be coming back for lunch in a few hours so I'd like to keep the card" what they will say. In any event if they make it clear coming and going between breakfast and lunch isnt allowed then I'll just stay in FFD from 8am to 11am, have breakfast, relax in there and fire lunch order at 11am. Prefer to be able to go walk the terminal or go work out at TWA though. Or even find a day chair or quiet area in the lounge. But if need be I guess I can stay 3 hours in FFD.. It doesnt seem fair to limit the amount of meals you can have but maybe they will try to limit the amount of times you can come and go but staying in there ifrom 8-11 is a work around for that.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 4:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
You think DFW or ORD will open next? Really hope before end of Oct/Nov... DFW seems most likely
I'm not sure about DFW ever re-opening. I was at the D gates last Wednesday and what used to be the entrance to the FL had hoardings around it stating it was soon to become a new Plaza Premium Lounge.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Geordie405
I'm not sure about DFW ever re-opening. I was at the D gates last Wednesday and what used to be the entrance to the FL had hoardings around it stating it was soon to become a new Plaza Premium Lounge.
Is there a chance that the Flagship Lounge is moving to a new location?
If not, why should AA use this sentence in their press release last month:
Later this fall, locations at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) Terminal 4, Dallas Fort Worth International Airport (DFW) Terminal D and Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD) Terminal 3 will reopen.

https://news.aa.com/news/news-detail...8/default.aspx
If Plaza Premium already got the space, the agreements should have done months ago.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 4:56 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
This is really interesting developments... I will be at DFW next week and will take a look, but if anyone else can confirm that would be great.

Would be terrible news for DFW and doesn't really make sense
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Prior to COVID-19 there was already a plan to open up a Plaza Premium lounge in Terminal D. That was after the DFW FL had already opened. So, I'm pretty sure it's a different space they're planning on using for the Plaza Premium lounge. I'd like to think we would have already heard if AA intends to do away with the DFW FL. Especially since the lounge had just opened in ~May 2019 after quite a while of construction. That really doesn't make sense.

-FlyerBeek
Old Sep 28, 2021, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
Thx for the report.. They took the card from you at FFD I assume. I wonder if I just say "I'll be coming back for lunch in a few hours so I'd like to keep the card" what they will say. In any event if they make it clear coming and going between breakfast and lunch isnt allowed then I'll just stay in FFD from 8am to 11am, have breakfast, relax in there and fire lunch order at 11am. Prefer to be able to go walk the terminal or go work out at TWA though. Or even find a day chair or quiet area in the lounge. But if need be I guess I can stay 3 hours in FFD.. It doesnt seem fair to limit the amount of meals you can have but maybe they will try to limit the amount of times you can come and go but staying in there ifrom 8-11 is a work around for that.
I did this back in 2019 before a CX flight to YVR (when they were still running it) - they kept the card, but I had a late lunch, left for a shower (asked if I could come back in first), and came back for a few more drinks and a snack before boarding. I'm not sure you could leave for hours on end, but it never hurts to ask.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 6:13 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Is there a chance that the Flagship Lounge is moving to a new location?
If not, why should AA use this sentence in their press release last month:
Later this fall, locations at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) Terminal 4, Dallas Fort Worth International Airport (DFW) Terminal D and Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD) Terminal 3 will reopen.
Interesting how they list LAX -> DFW -> ORD, which is in reverse alphabetical order, wonder if it has any bearing on the actual timing of which will open up first, in order of date.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 7:07 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by safari ari
Interesting how they list LAX -> DFW -> ORD, which is in reverse alphabetical order, wonder if it has any bearing on the actual timing of which will open up first, in order of date.
I think LAX is going to be last(asia closed), just not sure about DFW/ORD who first
Old Sep 28, 2021, 7:25 pm

Programs: LH SEN, BA SILVER

This is the sign at the (now former) DFW FL entrance today

checking in for BA192 they also told me this would be the future lounge, so the mystery deepens
Geordie405 likes this.

Last edited by pete3; Sep 28, 2021 at 7:27 pm Reason: Added text
Old Sep 28, 2021, 7:30 pm
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
I think LAX is going to be last(asia closed), just not sure about DFW/ORD who first
Originally Posted by pete3

This is the sign at the (now former) DFW FL entrance today

checking in for BA192 they also told me this would be the future lounge, so the mystery deepens
Just out of curiosity, could it be the space behind the sliding glass doors to the right when you exit out of the elevators at DFW D AC? I saw it open briefly once and they had more podiums behind there. I can't find an architectural drawing anywhere online to see if there's more space behind there.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by S80
Just out of curiosity, could it be the space behind the sliding glass doors to the right when you exit out of the elevators at DFW D AC? I saw it open briefly once and they had more podiums behind there. I can't find an architectural drawing anywhere online to see if there's more space behind there.
I think there was access to a couple of lounges on the first floor past the elevator that goes up to FL. Likely flagship staying upstairs but newly refurbish/remodeled on the for floor under neat the extensive FL lounge.
wrp96, Geordie405 and S80 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.