Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining to start reopening September 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining to start reopening September 2021

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2021, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Now way FL DFW is being closed, changed, moved, etc. Although if they do they better just keep FFD or then I will be really mad !!

But for real no way. Drinks are on me to everyone here if they close or even move their nearly brand new flagship lounge at their flagship location. NO way.

The PP lounge is going somewhere else near there.

P/s expect similar quality/cost level to what AA serves onboard if I do lose this bet and have to pay up
S80 likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 10:59 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by SKYEG
I think LAX is going to be last(asia closed), just not sure about DFW/ORD who first
Originally Posted by safari ari
Yup, I don’t disagree, LAX was the Asia gateway, and that’s pretty much gone (but not fully from a customers sake). But LAX still does provide 2 (3?) flagship routes to MIA/JFK (BOS Soon??) which also serves a purpose over ORD. Not to mention their JV partners still fly at least 1x daily and AY as well, with Europe being open now. Not disagreeing and really hoping for a timeframe, but I see LAX having a little more value than it’s given. Just, what we the customer value and AA values is wildly different.
Originally Posted by Global321
That is a good point. And there are 6 LAX/MIA and 9 LAX/JFK. If you really want them to be premium, it is a good argument to open sooner.
See my prior response and Global's additional count. Also, BOS is now a FF route 4x daily (?). LAX is still their West Coast International hub for the time being, BA/IB/AY/AA fly to Europe from LAX still + QR 2x daily, the same cannot be said for SEA, which is where they are allegedly going to concentrate their Intl focus. I think JL still flies a route to HND and NRT from LAX, and I won't even count that. Note my pessimistic tone in bold. That's a lot of capacity still even without the Asia lift. We're still talking 10 widebodies, and ~15 A321T, which is a lot of capacity for the market.
Global321 likes this.

Last edited by safari ari; Sep 28, 2021 at 11:05 pm
Old Sep 28, 2021, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
Now way FL DFW is being closed, changed, moved, etc. Although if they do they better just keep FFD or then I will be really mad !!
I would be shocked as well. Given that 1) DFW has 77W service, and 2) DFW is the only station in their network with AA-metal service to Asia, Europe, and deep South America. (I forgot, did AA ever start their DFW-AKL service?). Also, it is their largest hub. And I think the reason why ORD has a FL is mainly to be competitive with UA. Otherwise, I don't think it would exist.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 9:41 am

Programs: AA EXP.
I told my friend to go to FL Miami since hes flying J on 773 MIA-LAX and he double checks at Check In if he has access since he didnt believe me and they told him theres no access for domestic so he just went to the amex lounge. (which is probably better but still wanted him to check it out and report back lol)

Can AA do a better job training their agents?

edit: inputted wrong airport

Last edited by Amil; Sep 29, 2021 at 6:25 pm
Old Sep 29, 2021, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Amil
I told my friend to go to FL Miami since hes flying J on 773 MIA-JFK and he double checks at Check In if he has access since he didnt believe me and they told him theres no access for domestic so he just went to the amex lounge. (which is probably better but still wanted him to check it out and report back lol)

The agents were right. Despite the aircraft operating, MIA-JFK is not a premium route so that does not qualify for any type of lounge access.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 9:59 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Amil
I told my friend to go to FL Miami since hes flying J on 773 MIA-JFK and he double checks at Check In if he has access since he didnt believe me and they told him theres no access for domestic so he just went to the amex lounge. (which is probably better but still wanted him to check it out and report back lol)

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
The agents were right. Despite the aircraft operating, MIA-JFK is not a premium route so that does not qualify for any type of lounge access.
To add some additional clarity to ISTFlyer's point, access to FLs based on COS is reserved for routes considered "Flagship". Nothing to do with the aircraft itself. Now if someone arrived from LAX to MIA on a 77W, which is considered a Flagship flight, and they would have access to the FL while connecting to JFK.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 10:13 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
To add some additional clarity to ISTFlyer's point, access to FLs based on COS is reserved for routes considered "Flagship". Nothing to do with the aircraft itself. Now if someone arrived from LAX to MIA on a 77W, which is considered a Flagship flight, and they would have access to the FL while connecting to JFK.
It's confusing to cities like Lima where Flagship only shows on the reservation/booking if you're taking a lie flat widebody MIA-LIM, but you should still get FL access regardless of plane type MIA-LIM in J.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Mostly correct.

While some routes with 777's are not "Flagship" routes (ie. MIA-JFK), other routes are aircraft dependant. (ie MIA-LAX)

Example... random date in October, six non-stops MIA-LAX. Five are "Flagship" flights that would get you FL access; All five are 777's. The sixth one, on a 737, is not a "Flagship" flight and would not get FL access, even purchasing "First Class".
Old Sep 29, 2021, 10:51 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Global321
Mostly correct.

While some routes with 777's are not "Flagship" routes (ie. MIA-JFK), other routes are aircraft dependant. (ie MIA-LAX)

Example... random date in October, six non-stops MIA-LAX. Five are "Flagship" flights that would get you FL access; All five are 777's. The sixth one, on a 737, is not a "Flagship" flight and would not get FL access, even purchasing "First Class".
Poorly worded on my part. That's why I mentioned that the LAX-MIA had to be on the 77W, but agree on your point. The flight itself has to be designated as "Flagship" to qualify, and LAX-MIA is a mixed bag depending on the aircraft used (only 77W qualifies as FS). Other domestic flights that qualify are more consistent.
Global321 likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
I know ISTflyer, Global & Teemuflyer are all spot on and correct and totally know the dynamics here but I think the most ridiculous thing not mentioned above in the most recent exchange is that a 772 marketed on the website as FLAGSHIP does not get you in. Its not just the 738. Of course on the day you looked it was all 77W's but typically its a mix and in 2022 its looking back to 2 77W's a day and 5 772's a day to MIA. How can AA say Flagship on all 772's but you dont get into the Flagship Lounge or get Flagship First check in.

Ironically, as it stands now, the amenities as far as food, amenity kit and bedding are exactly the same between the 772 & 77W just like J on the 77W is the same as F.

Its so freaking confusing how AA handles all of this, how poorly the website explains it, how their agents are clueless, etc. And again, something as simple as being able to access FFD upon arrival, or even FL for that matter, is not in writing anywhere. Let alone neither is same day FFD access. I have LAX-MIA-JFK in 2 weeks and am hitting both FFD's and if either MIA upon arrival or JFK coming up from MIA think they will deny they have another thing coming lol
Old Sep 29, 2021, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
This is really interesting developments... I will be at DFW next week and will take a look, but if anyone else can confirm that would be great.

Would be terrible news for DFW and doesn't really make sense
However, with the removal of FL access on business class to: MEX, all of Central America, and a few Northern South American countries, could it be AA thinks it is no longer necessary?
Old Sep 29, 2021, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by Bradhattan
However, with the removal of FL access on business class to: MEX, all of Central America, and a few Northern South American countries, could it be AA thinks it is no longer necessary?
This is incorrect according to this page: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...s/business.jsp

Last edited by saltytheseagull; Sep 29, 2021 at 4:29 pm Reason: added link
Old Sep 29, 2021, 5:21 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
This is incorrect according to this page: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...s/business.jsp
They changed that this year It's known that the website portion of that section has not been updated.

See here

This is new access if flying Business:

Flights between the U.S. and:

• Asia
  • Australia
  • Europe
  • New Zealand
  • South America (excluding Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Suriname and Venezuela)
Definitely sucks... especially for people that pay J for central and northern south america(me lol).
Old Sep 29, 2021, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
I messed up i meant to write MIA-LAX
Old Sep 29, 2021, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
They changed that this year It's known that the website portion of that section has not been updated.

See here

This is new access if flying Business:

Flights between the U.S. and:

• Asia
  • Australia
  • Europe
  • New Zealand
  • South America (excluding Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Suriname and Venezuela)
Definitely sucks... especially for people that pay J for central and northern south america(me lol).
Good call. It's very surprising for MEX!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.