Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining to start reopening September 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining to start reopening September 2021

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2021, 4:20 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by GrumpyYoungMan
I have done similar in the past - handed them my transcon BP and they didn't bat an eye. As with all things AA, YMMV.
Were you equally successful at the front end Vs. the back end?

So something like ORD-MIA-LAX accessing in ORD on the way to the Transcon F Vs. LAX-MIA-ORD with now ORD being at the end of the trip..

Very frustrating they cant just put in writing that FL/FFD access is avail along the entire day of travel for the Transcon routes
Old Sep 24, 2021, 4:24 am

Has anyone every been told that there is a limit of time to FFD ? Or a limit of how many meals you can eat? I've never heard this been reported but upon arriving on a red eye from LAX in 2 weeks I would like to have breakfast, relax a bit, maybe nap an hour and then have lunch at 11am when they switch over. And then go to TWA to work out, swim & check out the hotel but return for an early FFD dinner before a 7pm flight. There is absolutely nothing at all about number of meals or time at FFD so I imagine I will be fine. And I can mention upon leaving that I will be back in a few hours but not sure that really matters. I'd feel better if the qualifying flight was the 7pm and not the arriving red eye although it really shouldnt matter.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 7:49 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
Were you equally successful at the front end Vs. the back end?

So something like ORD-MIA-LAX accessing in ORD on the way to the Transcon F Vs. LAX-MIA-ORD with now ORD being at the end of the trip..

Very frustrating they cant just put in writing that FL/FFD access is avail along the entire day of travel for the Transcon routes
Yes, it was on the front end. DFW-LAX-JFK.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 11:10 am

Programs: AA EP 4MM, UA 1MM, DL 1MM
Is anyone planning on being at MIA FL/FFD next week? Love to get a menu pic and any details.

Also, anyone else had more items than just the Halibut & eggs at JFK from the above pics? Love to hear how more stuff was. And was the champagne upon arrival just for opening day or is it still going on?

champagne was still offered when you enter the FL lounge at JFK as of Monday, Sept 20, the last time I was there
Old Sep 24, 2021, 3:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by VFR
For anyone that wants a kind of visual on this, another FTer posted a floor plan of the current Flagship Lounge in a different thread -- note the second staircase and set of elevators on the right side that are identical to the current FL entrance.

Even if it's just an expanded Flagship Lounge, the addition of BA passengers to T8 will require more lounge space, since the existing Flagship Lounge got very crowded pre-COVID. I also suspect that the current FFD footprint may be insufficient, given BA will probably operate all or almost all of their flights with an F cabin. Whether BA GGLs end up getting FFD in JFK is a toss-up in my mind, but given they don't in IAD or BOS, probably not.
but JFK is different given the CCR
Old Sep 24, 2021, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by VFR
For anyone that wants a kind of visual on this, another FTer posted a floor plan of the current Flagship Lounge in a different thread -- note the second staircase and set of elevators on the right side that are identical to the current FL entrance.

Even if it's just an expanded Flagship Lounge, the addition of BA passengers to T8 will require more lounge space, since the existing Flagship Lounge got very crowded pre-COVID. I also suspect that the current FFD footprint may be insufficient, given BA will probably operate all or almost all of their flights with an F cabin. Whether BA GGLs end up getting FFD in JFK is a toss-up in my mind, but given they don't in IAD or BOS, probably not.
Unfortunately no one gets access to FFD at IAD or BOS, since they don't have them .
Old Sep 24, 2021, 3:50 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Unfortunately no one gets access to FFD at IAD or BOS, since they don't have them .
I meant the British Airways F dining. Poor writing on my part.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 4:54 pm

Do you all anticipate maybe FFD hours @ MIA will be different than pre Covid so to reflect all the 77W’s on the LAX-MIA route? I believe in October there are 7 a day. So nice to have them open @ 8 or 9 and not 230/3 how it was before.
two red eyes coming in on 77W and morning departures too. Just not sure that route is that important to them to open FFD 6 hours ish earlier than what would coincide w the 77W’s to LHR and GRU.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Has anyone every been told that there is a limit of time to FFD ? Or a limit of how many meals you can eat? I've never heard this been reported but upon arriving on a red eye from LAX in 2 weeks I would like to have breakfast, relax a bit, maybe nap an hour and then have lunch at 11am when they switch over. And then go to TWA to work out, swim & check out the hotel but return for an early FFD dinner before a 7pm flight. There is absolutely nothing at all about number of meals or time at FFD so I imagine I will be fine. And I can mention upon leaving that I will be back in a few hours but not sure that really matters. I'd feel better if the qualifying flight was the 7pm and not the arriving red eye although it really shouldnt matter.
I think you'd be pushing it upon your return. You're correct that there is no official time limit, but I imagine the agents at the front will probably say you've already used your FFD invitation. Staying through lunch is probably pushing it as far as you can, especially if you are taking a nap and then coming back into FFD for another meal. That should be fine, although probably rare. Arriving on a red eye, accessing the FL and FFD on that BP, leaving the terminal, and then attempting to use the same BP to access it a second time for an evening flight is something I wouldn't count on them allowing.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by DMPHL
I think you'd be pushing it upon your return. You're correct that there is no official time limit, but I imagine the agents at the front will probably say you've already used your FFD invitation. Staying through lunch is probably pushing it as far as you can, especially if you are taking a nap and then coming back into FFD for another meal. That should be fine, although probably rare. Arriving on a red eye, accessing the FL and FFD on that BP, leaving the terminal, and then attempting to use the same BP to access it a second time for an evening flight is something I wouldn't count on them allowing.
I completely understand your thinking and get where you are coming from but since AA has no mention of the number of visits you get to FFD on the same day I mean its certainly worth fighting if told No. Also, I would think the people inside FFD would remember me from hours earlier and as long as I got into FL I'd probably be welcomed back and doubt they'd ask for a new FFD pass given I would have presented one earlier. I always leave a nice tip so maybe that would come back to help me when I return. Of course if stopped at the check in desk then ya might be irrelevant.

If I'm not mistaken the poster on Sept 16 above who put up the FFD menu at JFK and pic of the eggs & fish said they had breakfast & "returned" for lunch but I guess that doesnt mean they actually left FL. I am actually Not leaving FL on purpose after breakfast for the simple fact that I am worried about not being let back in maybe to FL or if let in not being given a 2nd pass for FFD. I'd prefer to find a spot for a nap in the lounge thus leaving FFD but not leaving FL. My plan is at 11am to be there for lunch and then yes leave the lounge & airside and head to TWA for 5-6 hours before returning for FFD dinner. I am def. worried about getting in then given my BP will be from the red eye the night before and not a departing qualifying flight.

Do you think though if the red eye was not the qualifying flight but say my 7pm was......Then at 7am would they let me in or say 12 hours is too far in advance? And if they did let me in and i had FFD then and then did the same TWA 5 hours & return i cant see them saying sorry you cant have FFD again, given the 7pm flight is the qualifying flight.

This all goes to even more reason why some written rules would be nice. This may be a bit out there and most ppl maybe wouldnt come back 6 hours later but I cant be the only one thinking of doing this. AA site doesnt even mention that access upon arrival is allowed or at a connecting FL hub is allowed so no way they will get into FFD time frame use specifics.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 9:22 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
What’s the perceived timing of LAX FL opening up? I know TPAC travel is down, but would assume one OW lounge could be utilized for how many airlines still fly into it.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by safari ari
What’s the perceived timing of LAX FL opening up? I know TPAC travel is down, but would assume one OW lounge could be utilized for how many airlines still fly into it.
Last comes to mind.

TPAC "down" is probably an understatement. Other than the Thailand sandbox on Phuket, Asia is pretty solidly locked down with no solid opening planned. (And no Thailand service is available from LAX.)

Flights to Europe are going, but, just as easy to encourage people to go via mid-west (ORD/DFW) or east-coast (JFK/MIA). Those airports have lots of European travel, as well as some South America. Not saying that is as convenient, but, there are only a few European flights out of LAX right now. Probably makes more sense to open the others first and then late in the year or early next year, LAX. But I have no inside info.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 9:44 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by Global321
Last comes to mind.

TPAC "down" is probably an understatement. Other than the Thailand sandbox on Phuket, Asia is pretty solidly locked down with no solid opening planned. (And no Thailand service is available from LAX.)

Flights to Europe are going, but, just as easy to encourage people to go via mid-west (ORD/DFW) or east-coast (JFK/MIA). Those airports have lots of European travel, as well as some South America. Not saying that is as convenient, but, there are only a few European flights out of LAX right now. Probably makes more sense to open the others first and then late in the year or early next year, LAX. But I have no inside info.
Yup, I don’t disagree, LAX was the Asia gateway, and that’s pretty much gone (but not fully from a customers sake). But LAX still does provide 2 (3?) flagship routes to MIA/JFK (BOS Soon??) which also serves a purpose over ORD. Not to mention their JV partners still fly at least 1x daily and AY as well, with Europe being open now. Not disagreeing and really hoping for a timeframe, but I see LAX having a little more value than it’s given. Just, what we the customer value and AA values is wildly different.
Global321 likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by safari ari
Yup, I don’t disagree, LAX was the Asia gateway, and that’s pretty much gone (but not fully from a customers sake). But LAX still does provide 2 (3?) flagship routes to MIA/JFK (BOS Soon??) which also serves a purpose over ORD. Not to mention their JV partners still fly at least 1x daily and AY as well, with Europe being open now. Not disagreeing and really hoping for a timeframe, but I see LAX having a little more value than it’s given. Just, what we the customer value and AA values is wildly different.
That is a good point. And there are 6 LAX/MIA and 9 LAX/JFK. If you really want them to be premium, it is a good argument to open sooner.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 11:34 am

Programs: AA PPro
I"m EXP on a LAX-MIA in J in two weeks would that qualify for FFD? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.