Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Passenger Facial Cover / Mask Use Policy 2020 (Inc. changes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

American Airlines Strengthens Requirement Customers Wear Face Coverings on Board

Link to full article
  • New policy is effective Wednesday, Aug. 19
  • Allowed face coverings must be worn correctly, covering the nose and mouth, and only can be removed briefly for eating and drinking
  • Face coverings made with materials such as mesh or lace fabrics are also not allowed
FORT WORTH, Texas — Effective Aug. 19, 2020, and following the most recent recommendations from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), face coverings with exhausts valves or vents will no longer be allowed for travel with American Airlines. The CDC notes that face coverings with one-way valves or vents allow exhaled air to be expelled through holes in the material. These can allow exhaled respiratory droplets to reach others and potentially spread the coronavirus (COVID-19).

“Wearing a face covering is a responsibility we all share. An effective covering, worn properly, is one of the best ways we can control the spread of COVID-19 to protect our team members and customers,” said Alison Taylor, Chief Customer Officer at American. “Since American began requiring face coverings in early May, the vast majority of customers have welcomed our continuing efforts to strengthen the policy based on the CDC’s guidance.”

American began requiring face coverings on board its flights in May and, in July, announced it would only allow exemptions for customers under 2 years old. The airline requires all other customers to wear a face covering from the time they enter the airport where their trip begins until they leave the airport where their trip ends.

Based on the updated CDC guidance, below are examples of face coverings customers can and cannot wear while traveling with American.
https://news.aa.com/news/news-detail...es-OPS-DIS-08/

Allowed:

• A well-secured cloth or mask that fits snugly against the face and covers an individual’s nose and mouth. It must be made of a material that prevents the discharge and release of respiratory droplets from a person's nose or mouth.

Not allowed:

• Face coverings with exhaust valves.
  • Face coverings made with materials such as mesh or lace fabrics.
  • Face coverings that do not cover the nose and mouth.
  • Face shields without the addition of a face covering.
Only children under the age of 2 are exempt from American’s face covering policy. Customers without an approved face covering will be provided with an approved one, upon request, at the airport. Face coverings can only be briefly removed while the customer is eating or drinking. Customers will be reminded of these guidelines throughout their time traveling with American. Those unwilling to comply with American’s face covering policy at any time during their journey may be denied boarding or barred from future travel for the duration of this policy.

A face covering is required while flying on American, except for very young children or anyone with a condition that prevents them from wearing one. You also may be required by local law to wear a face covering in the airport where your trip begins, where it ends or where you connect.
  • Please bring your own face covering to use while traveling. While limited quantities of face coverings may be available at the gate, they will not be available for every customer on every flight.
  • Be sure your face covering is on before you board the plane and wear it during your flight. If you’re not exempt from wearing a face covering and decline to wear one, you may be denied boarding and future travel on American.
  • Your face covering may be removed to eat or drink, but please put it back on when you’re done.

Details of the updated policy for face coverings will be communicated to American Airlines team members this week, and the policy will go into effect June 16. American also requires team members to wear face coverings while at work.[/quote]

PRIOR POLICY as of 1 May 2020
Link to AA News story

Flight Attendants must wear masks as of Friday, May 1, 2020.

Passengers must wear masks as of Monday, May 11.

Print Wikipost

AA Passenger Facial Cover / Mask Use Policy 2020 (Inc. changes)

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2020, 5:11 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by ksucats
and fogs up my glasses as well
I fully intend to follow the rules and wear a mask when flying for the protection of those around me, just as I do now when I absolutely have to be in a public place. But, yeah, that fogging-up of my glasses is an annoyance.
MIAman3, ksucats and robertablake like this.
Old May 2, 2020, 6:49 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
How will you be able to comfortably eat the sumptuous meals AA will be providing?
Old May 2, 2020, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
How about kids? I see no details, but other mask wearing regs vary wildly in terms of age. Some require starting at 2, some at 12. Well good luck keeping a mask on a 2-year old. The upside is that if the kid refuses the wear the mask, they might offload him/her and that makes for a more pleasant flight, especially for the parents
Old May 3, 2020, 12:43 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by TBRIC
I’m not a physician, but since commercial airliners are only pressurized to the equivalent of 6-8,000 ft altitude, wouldn’t there be a chance of hypoxia with some people, depending on the type of mask? Especially on a longer flight?
A mask doesn’t filter gasses. But at 8,000 feet / 2,438 m of altitude, the effective percentage of oxygen is 15.4 %, rather than the 21% it is at Mean Sea Level. And at 10,000 ft / 3,048 m it’s 14.3 % and above 10,000 supplemental oxygen is required for aircrew. That 15.4% can be a significant problem for some people and result in dangerous levels of blood oxygen saturation. The mask wouldn’t have any effect other than the resistance it might provide to unrestricted breathing.

E.g. A few years ago my wife was recovering from a difficult pneumonia and sepsis (10 days on sedation and ventilation in ICU) and we had a trip planned that included 13 hours in a 777 (LAX-LHR). That was a concern to me so after consulting with our doctor we drove to a spot in the Sierra Nevada and spent the day taking periodic readings with a pulse oximeter. Her SPO2 remained at 95% all day, so we traveled. (I’m not a doctor, but was certified as a medic and oxygen provider, mixed gas tech diver among others.)
Old May 4, 2020, 9:36 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Drwaz99
I'm curious, too, how eating/drinking will be handled whether it be a snack bag served on board or a sandwich brought on board by a passenger. I bet only time and some data points will point us in a direction but I bet everyone's individual experience will be all over the map due to inconsistent policy implementation by FAs.
I see several comments regarding the impact on consuming food and drink on board, but does anyone know whether alcohol will be server in First or Business going forward?
Eyenigma likes this.
Old May 4, 2020, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I have a medical condition that renders me unable to wear a mask. Why won't AA refund my tickets? I've got 12 through the end of the year, all purchased before the state of emergency was issued, and the credits are useless for me.
Old May 4, 2020, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Originally Posted by Kate2015
I have a medical condition that renders me unable to wear a mask. Why won't AA refund my tickets? I've got 12 through the end of the year, all purchased before the state of emergency was issued, and the credits are useless for me.
I copied this from the OP.

"those with conditions that prevent them from wearing a face covering will be exempt from the requirement"
Old May 4, 2020, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by ksweeney
I see several comments regarding the impact on consuming food and drink on board, but does anyone know whether alcohol will be server in First or Business going forward?
This guy. Asking the important questions. I think I can wedge one of those tiny cocktail straws in between the mask and my mouth. Adapt and overcome.
Old May 4, 2020, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Eyenigma
This guy. Asking the important questions. I think I can wedge one of those tiny cocktail straws in between the mask and my mouth. Adapt and overcome.
Just make sure the straw doesn’t touch the outside of your mask.
Old May 5, 2020, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by ksucats
I copied this from the OP.

"those with conditions that prevent them from wearing a face covering will be exempt from the requirement"
At this time, it should be mentioned, airlines cannot require you to provide documentation of a handicap. Simply making a statement indicating you have a medical condition preventing the wearing of a mask, should be enough
Old May 5, 2020, 3:48 pm

Programs: Quintessentially Elite, Amex Cent, UA* Lifetime Plat (2mm+), AA CK (6mm+)
It's really pretty simple here.

Either wear a mask or fly another airline. I don't get the pushback.

If you don't like it, fly someone who alligns with your way of thinking.
Old May 5, 2020, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Will a bandana wrapped around my face suffice as a mask?
deeruck and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old May 6, 2020, 6:10 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by enviroian
Will a bandana wrapped around my face suffice as a mask?
No idea how it will be arbitrarily enforced onboard, but the CDC website shows how to use a bandana with rubber bands or hair ties. As long as you've got a few folds in the cloth, it's achieving the intended purpose.
Old May 6, 2020, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
I don’t have an issue wearing a mask as long as the A/C in the aircraft is cranked up sufficiently. I’ve worn just every type of mask now from bandanas, to cloth masks to surgical masks. The surgical mask seems to be the coolest one with the bandana being very hot. A surgeon friend said I should be breathing in through my nose and exhaling through my mouth while wearing a mask. Also said that washing glasses with soap and water, drying them a cotton cloth should eliminate fogging with the mask. I’m getting more comfortable in a mask but I’m not sure a 9 hour international flight wouldn’t be a slow torture.
Old May 6, 2020, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by deeruck
No idea how it will be arbitrarily enforced onboard, but the CDC website shows how to use a bandana with rubber bands or hair ties. As long as you've got a few folds in the cloth, it's achieving the intended purpose.
Thanks I'll look for those guidelines. Since I can't find any masks locally at a store I bought bandanas from Amazon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.