Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2020, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
Proactive refills, and frankly the sandwich was better than any of the sandwiches I've gotten on DL in the past.
And even of better quality than some of hot lunch/dinner entrees AA would serve on short flights before Covid

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Masks aren’t political...wear one or you don’t fly.
Masks have been scientifically proven to save lives and thus not a political topic; however, talking about Trump or any other candidate is indeed political and out of place in an aviation forum even if the OP didn't mean to
LCSinTexas and DC9 like this.

Last edited by fly747first; Sep 18, 2020 at 9:56 am
Old Sep 18, 2020, 9:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Is DFW-HNL still a hot meal service (like the premium transcons) or just the cold sandwich/cheese option in F? Is there a second meal/snack prior to arrival (similar to pre-COVID). Just trying to determine how much food to bring for the 8+ hr flight.

-FlyerBeek
Old Sep 18, 2020, 9:58 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
Excellent DCA-DFW flight in AA first yesterday.

Proactive refills, and frankly the sandwich was better than any of the sandwiches I've gotten on DL in the past.

Crew was excellent too, but sadly they'll be furloughed.
The sandwich is not bad at all and I usually can’t finish it.....considering the times we’re in, I can deal with this and the F&C plate and plastic cups.

I was recently met by DFW Premium Services and offered a cart ride to my connection and mentioned to the rep how I appreciated that AA is offering fresh food in FC and he mentioned they want to offer more but there are some hurdles to overcome or something like that....I didn’t press it more but AA is really trying in the premium services/cabin department (Eagle is a different story as we all know).
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Is DFW-HNL still a hot meal service (like the premium transcons) or just the cold sandwich/cheese option in F? Is there a second meal/snack prior to arrival (similar to pre-COVID). Just trying to determine how much food to bring for the 8+ hr flight.

-FlyerBeek
Recent reports from this route confirmed AA is still serving hot entrees for the main meal service; not sure about the pre-arrival one
FlyerBeek and DC9 like this.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
...mentioned to the rep how I appreciated that AA is offering fresh food in FC and he mentioned they want to offer more but there are some hurdles to overcome or something like that...
The hurdle is spending money.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Herb687
The hurdle is spending money.
Or taking a bullet and attempting to explain to Parker why money needs to be spent lol
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 1:01 am

Does anyone find it odd that I received a fruit and cheese plate on my flight from ORD-DFW in First back in July?! Perhaps this was a trial?

Old Sep 19, 2020, 5:38 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by TheFlyGuy2
Does anyone find it odd that I received a fruit and cheese plate on my flight from ORD-DFW in First back in July?! Perhaps this was a trial?

Pre-WuFlu that was a meal flight, a published exception to the rule. Good for you getting some grub on it these days - I did that route a couple days ago and no food.
UAPremierExec and cmd320 like this.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 10:46 am

Programs: AA-EXP
Just a data point to show the extensive range of "service," YYZ to CLT yesterday had a great FA in F (A319) that took drink orders on the ground and served promptly when in the air, and checked often for refills. No food at all of course as it is only a 90 minute flight.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I complained several times to AA in previous months for not offering any food. I spoke to someone from corporate and I wasn't shy to tell her that AA was simply making excuses because for example, they could still serve the same sealed fruit/cheese plates that would sell in economy previously. My understanding is that AA was getting so many complaints that as a short-term solution, they started offering fruit/cheese plates (one choice only) in first class; I can confirm that in July/August I had several flights where we received the fruit/cheese plate but there were no other options and then most recently, AA announced more options: yogurt parfaits or turkey croissant for breakfast and fruit/cheese plate or turkey sandwich for lunch/dinner.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 1:07 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Originally Posted by Uzzar
Just a data point to show the extensive range of "service," YYZ to CLT yesterday had a great FA in F (A319) that took drink orders on the ground and served promptly when in the air, and checked often for refills. No food at all of course as it is only a 90 minute flight.
At a curiosity, how were the loads on the flight?

I think AA's CLT-YYZ is the only mainline flight into Canada by a US carrier at this moment.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 5:03 pm
Suspended

In the very beginning of August I flew PHL-MSP and got the cheese plate up front, which I was not expecting.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by FlyEndeavorAir
In the very beginning of August I flew PHL-MSP and got the cheese plate up front, which I was not expecting.
The cheese plate began in mid/late July when meals on 2200mi+ flights ended (except premium transcons).
Old Sep 19, 2020, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by econ
Well, not all crews may do this. Flew SFO-DFW in F recently, and the pre-flight announcement went something like "there will be no food or beverage service in either cabin".

Then after a while in the air someone used their call button to get service. Then a few more people noticed this and did the same thing.

Eventually, the crew relented and went through each row offering drinks and choice of sandwich or cheese/fruit plate, by this time around 2 hr into the flight.
this is just what happened to me. Las Vegas to Charlotte. Crew sat idle for 1.5 hours until a pax called them out and they finally did the service of sandwich or yogurt and drinks. Shameful; this is also a flight where I brought the crew a bag of gifts with a heartfelt note that times are tough and my seat number (in F). Wasn’t looking for extra benefits just a thank you would have been nice. Nothing. They’re using covid as an excuse for laziness as expected; those willing to work through hard times should be recognized in some way tho .
ceebee100 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 6:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
this is just what happened to me. Las Vegas to Charlotte. Crew sat idle for 1.5 hours until a pax called them out and they finally did the service of sandwich or yogurt and drinks. Shameful; this is also a flight where I brought the crew a bag of gifts with a heartfelt note that times are tough and my seat number (in F). Wasn’t looking for extra benefits just a thank you would have been nice. Nothing. They’re using covid as an excuse for laziness as expected; those willing to work through hard times should be recognized in some way tho .
Interesting....there’s an AA FA who’s trying to be a social media influencer and was posting pics from having to work the CLT-LAS-CLT segments recently and complaining about the type of passengers on this route that she keeps encountering, but also whining about being furloughed soon.

Maybe this was the type of crew you encountered?
CLT and LCSinTexas like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.