Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2020, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
I remember how a few weeks ago I did ATL-CLT on the flight, during the taxi I asked the FA if we'd be getting a full drink service, she shhhhhed me and looked towards the economy cabin. Then right after takeoff she did do a full drink service for first... that was... odd.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by itripreport
I remember how a few weeks ago I did ATL-CLT on the flight, during the taxi I asked the FA if we'd be getting a full drink service, she shhhhhed me and looked towards the economy cabin. Then right after takeoff she did do a full drink service for first... that was... odd.
Maybe Dougie has them mic'd up these days to see if they're spending his money on drinks services.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by fatmac70
Blankets and pillows on LAX-MIA today.
Flew a red eye SFO-MIA in early august, I noticed first class did get the premium blankets (the white ones?), it was on a domestic A321B
Old Sep 9, 2020, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by itripreport
Flew a red eye SFO-MIA in early august, I noticed first class did get the premium blankets (the white ones?), it was on a domestic A321B
White ones? AA has gray-looking good quality Casper duvets but usually they are only loaded on LAX-MIA and LAX/SFO-JFK flights. The pillows are white, not the duvets/blankets.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
My experience from AA has been getting less great. As expected DCA-BNA no service as all Y (Eagle, but FA gave me a bottle of water proactively for my status), BNA-ORD F no service FA played on phone and talked loudly in galley w other FAs, walked back and forth constantly so the no service for greater social distancing is not really a fair excuse. ORD-RAP (Eagle, but in F) no service. I finally asked for a water and got an eye roll. Earlier this summer, all of my flights were rather proactive with service; I guess with furloughs now, they have no incentive. Sadly, it's not just airline crew that are dealing with job reductions and cutbacks, we all are. But, we don't get to do half our jobs and blame it on Covid. Frustrating.
CLT and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
My experience from AA has been getting less great. As expected DCA-BNA no service as all Y (Eagle, but FA gave me a bottle of water proactively for my status), BNA-ORD F no service FA played on phone and talked loudly in galley w other FAs, walked back and forth constantly so the no service for greater social distancing is not really a fair excuse. ORD-RAP (Eagle, but in F) no service. I finally asked for a water and got an eye roll. Earlier this summer, all of my flights were rather proactive with service; I guess with furloughs now, they have no incentive. Sadly, it's not just airline crew that are dealing with job reductions and cutbacks, we all are. But, we don't get to do half our jobs and blame it on Covid. Frustrating.
Reports from Eagle have been pretty bad lately.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmd320
Reports from Eagle have been pretty bad lately.
I can attest to this... the Eagle FAs don't seem to want to work and disappear talking to each other on the flights I have been on recently; even a simple request for water seems to annoy them.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by fly747first
I can attest to this... the Eagle FAs don't seem to want to work and disappear talking to each other on the flights I have been on recently; even a simple request for water seems to annoy them.
I'n the contrary, I had one of my best flights on Eagle (Skywest). Flew LAX-SFO and the FA proactively offered a standard drink service, offering refills to those who asked. I don't believe we got a snack though.
DC9 likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
So much inconsistency. Frustrating.
GrumpyYoungMan and Drwaz99 like this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 8:07 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by fly747first
Please contact (or continue to contact) AA about these issues. Since you're both CK they may actually listen.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I have shared these details each time they call me, as well as via online surveys I have received. I think it comes down to FA attitudes toward their job. We are ALL affected business/work-wise, yet must still do our job 100% no matter what industry (unless you're an FA and expect the government to continue to provide subsidies). Of course, I feel tremendously for furloughed FAs, it must be very hard, I get it. I wonder if post 10/1, the situation will improve when those working are not as worried about furloughs?
AAway and cmd320 like this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have shared these details each time they call me, as well as via online surveys I have received. I think it comes down to FA attitudes toward their job. We are ALL affected business/work-wise, yet must still do our job 100% no matter what industry (unless you're an FA and expect the government to continue to provide subsidies). Of course, I feel tremendously for furloughed FAs, it must be very hard, I get it. I wonder if post 10/1, the situation will improve when those working are not as worried about furloughs?
I think it's a combination of several factors. Of course I feel bad for FAs who fear losing their jobs, but that's not an excuse to take it on the passengers who are still flying and supporting airlines. At the same time, a terrible CEO like Doug Parker isn't going to make things any better for anyone at AA... if you talk to AA crews, they have no respect for him, as he has often being rude to them, e.g., giving them attitude when FAs tried to enforce safety procedures onboard. I was on a DFW PHX flight with him years ago and he wasn't pleasant to the cabin crew at all. For someone who has severely underachieved in every possible way like Parker, the least he can do is to demonstrate professional behavior around other AA employees and paying passengers.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
flew 9:30 am SEA-DFW 321 got cheese plate or sandwich offered. After passing out the food the FAs vanished for the entire flight. No drinks of any kind offered. After figuring out they are not coming back, I rang and ordered 2 cans and a cup of ice. They quickly provided it and that started everyone else doing the same.
Second leg DFW-MIA 77W only cheese plate offered to turkey sandwich available. Drink service same as first leg. Neither leg had a snack basket.

Two weeks earlier MIA-LAX 321 cheese or sandwich drink service and snack basket all proactively offered.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x
flew 9:30 am SEA-DFW 321 got cheese plate or sandwich offered. After passing out the food the FAs vanished for the entire flight. No drinks of any kind offered. After figuring out they are not coming back, I rang and ordered 2 cans and a cup of ice. They quickly provided it and that started everyone else doing the same.
Second leg DFW-MIA 77W only cheese plate offered to turkey sandwich available. Drink service same as first leg. Neither leg had a snack basket.

Two weeks earlier MIA-LAX 321 cheese or sandwich drink service and snack basket all proactively offered.
This is exactly what's happening and so confusing. It proves they are actively not offering service despite being told to provide it. I hope there is a way for these FAs to be notified they are going against policy. The attitude for ordering a drink (we can hear them in the galley..."geez, they couldn't get a drink in the terminal?") is off putting especially when so many FAs are actively asking people on social media and in DC for tax payers to subsidize their jobs. The ones that they are only half doing (no, your job is not only safety, sorry).
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is exactly what's happening and so confusing. It proves they are actively not offering service despite being told to provide it. I hope there is a way for these FAs to be notified they are going against policy. The attitude for ordering a drink (we can hear them in the galley..."geez, they couldn't get a drink in the terminal?") is off putting especially when so many FAs are actively asking people on social media and in DC for tax payers to subsidize their jobs. The ones that they are only half doing (no, your job is not only safety, sorry).
I could be wrong, but my most recent understanding of the policy was that drinks were on request in F. Again, not sure if that changed more recently.

FWIW, on my 77W flight last week drinks were offered proactively before and through the meal service. Afterwards the purser moved to help in the J cabin and no one was actively serving the F cabin, I wanted a Bailey’s in light ice before going to sleep though and rang the call bell. Another FA appeared seconds later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.