Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2020, 8:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Drinks still definitely on request but my recent mainline flights it’s been proactively offered when the food is passed out....refills no problem either. Doubles of liquor too with each drink.

I won’t fly Eagle because they run to the back of the plane the minute they can once in the air.
DC9 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 9:50 pm

I had similar experience with Eagle last weekend DFW-GNV and return. No food or drink service in First. Flight is exactly 900 miles but apparently doesn’t get catered. Someone requested water in Economy and the flight attendant made it known she was displeased.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by runnigel
I had similar experience with Eagle last weekend DFW-GNV and return. No food or drink service in First. Flight is exactly 900 miles but apparently doesn’t get catered. Someone requested water in Economy and the flight attendant made it known she was displeased.
Absolutely ridiculous. I hope you complained.

That said, AA’s only competition at GNV is DL who serves nothing, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they lowered their standards to that level on this route.
DC9 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 4:40 am

CLT to DFW and DFW to BZN. Both flights offered the choice of yogurt box or turkey croissant. Beverages offered after food was handed out. FA on 2nd flight was much more accommodating and proactive to ask about refills. First FA seemed put off when we asked for more drinks.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 8:06 am

Hello everyone!
What can I expect in the first-class cabin DCA-PHX dep. 7:10am and PHX-DCA dep. 9.39am. Does AA serve coffee in the first-class? Thank you!
Old Sep 12, 2020, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Two flights yesterday. First time traveling since early February.

AUS-DFW - A319, full flight, no PDB, FA announced no beverage service in main cabin, proactively offered drinks and refills to F cabin during flight, no snacks, no credit card solicitation.

DFW-CVG - E175 (Eagle), full flight, no PDB, FA announced "no food or beverage service on this flight", proactively offered drinks to F cabin during flight, no snacks, no credit card solicitation.

Social distancing during deplaning was neither suggested nor practiced. Both AUS and DFW were not noticeably less busy than I would have expected for that time of day in "normal" times. Apart from the missing snack baskets and everyone wearing pieces of cloth over their faces, I would have noticed nothing out of the ordinary.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sadly it appears AA1061 (the MIA-LAX 77W service) has been downgraded to a 772. Any ideas if this will still be receiving full meal service/lounge access or if it’s going the way of the A321?
Old Sep 12, 2020, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA, BA, NH, TP
Originally Posted by cmd320
Sadly it appears AA1061 (the MIA-LAX 77W service) has been downgraded to a 772. Any ideas if this will still be receiving full meal service/lounge access or if it’s going the way of the A321?
I can’t answer your question - but I was booked - MIA-LAX at the end of Aug on the 77W in business which was downgraded to a 772 and boarding pass changed from Business to First (domestic) - once on board full meal service/bedding/business class menu/amenity kit/head phones were provided.
With regard to lounge access I don’t know If an AA member would have got access as I was using my BA Emerald status.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fatmac70
I can’t answer your question - but I was booked - MIA-LAX at the end of Aug on the 77W in business which was downgraded to a 772 and boarding pass changed from Business to First (domestic) - once on board full meal service/bedding/business class menu/amenity kit/head phones were provided.
With regard to lounge access I don’t know If an AA member would have got access as I was using my BA Emerald status.
Good to know. Hopefully it will retain this level of service as it transitions to a regularly scheduled 772. Sad to lose F and the J mini-cabin though.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by fatmac70
For First/Business flyers without Sapphire or higher status from non-AA OW airlines, complimentary AC access is limited to JFK-LAX/SFO and only MIA-LAX when operated by 77W. Not sure how the AC drAAgons will react if someone mentions it isn't their fault that AA changed the equipment from 77W to 772 but even the published policy by AA explicitly states 77W.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 10:43 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
AA 1970 PHL-PHX, everyone given snack bag

Monday 9/14, AA 1970 PHL-PHX, fairly full flight, upgrade to F did not clear for this Exec Plat.

As we board, everyone was given a snack bag, so looks like there was n9 meal being served in F either. The snack bag contained a small bottle of water and a bag of pretzels.

Also bought WiFi powered by Viasat, but could not switch devices - chatted with Viasat support which confirmed that this is the “new policy” and I can buy a second connection if I need to connect a second device. Ridiculous!!!
Old Sep 14, 2020, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by tumep
Hello everyone!
What can I expect in the first-class cabin DCA-PHX dep. 7:10am and PHX-DCA dep. 9.39am. Does AA serve coffee in the first-class? Thank you!
Yes, they do serve coffee in Domestic First regardless of the route distance and the departure time.
However, I am not sure about Eagle flights.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 11:43 am

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
are there any rumors or indications that the regionals may bring back at least something minimal on the longer flights? Seems the AA refreshment offerings would be easy to stock on the regionals.
Is the hold upon the regional side or AA side?
Old Sep 14, 2020, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by sapguy

Also bought WiFi powered by Viasat, but could not switch devices - chatted with Viasat support which confirmed that this is the “new policy” and I can buy a second connection if I need to connect a second device. Ridiculous!!!
Wow - this is a pretty big deal IMO - thanks for mentioning this!
Old Sep 14, 2020, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Two more data point from flights yesterday.

CVG-DFW - E175 (Eagle), full flight, no PDB, but one passenger asked for water and was given a glass, FA announced "no food or beverage service on this flight", but proactively offered drinks and refills to F cabin during flight. No snacks, no credit card solicitation. Social distancing was suggested ("exit three rows at a time") but as I was in row 2 and had a tight connection I have no idea whether anyone behind me followed that.

DFW-AUS - A321, full flight, no PDB, FA announced no service, never left the galley during the flight, nor did a pre-arrival cabin check (I had my seat reclined, tray table opened, and was working on my laptop when the wheels touched). No snacks, no credit card solicitation.

Despite all the complaints here about Eagle flights, I had very good service on the two I had this weekend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.