Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2020, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
This has to do with Consistency of service. We get it that AA may need to par back service but number one should be transparent about. Making up excuses offends people. Second whatever the service standard is employees should be required to follow it. I have certain service standards I'm expect to comply with, not just ignore at my whim because I'd rather play on my phone.

For those that don't want to read these kind of threads, don't.

For someone that will spend $13-$15K this year with AA and has continued to fly throughout this circus of a "health crisis" expecting a $1.50 drink on a late afternoon/evening flight, assuming I'm upgraded (and AA created the upgrade system not me) isn't exactly asking that AA to bring back the former transcon meal service.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by Herb687
. OO FAs used to have a reputation for being better than AA mainline ones
I would say that's still the case IME.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 2:11 pm

Some of these comments are unnecessarily negative. People expect some service differentiation when buying an F ticket beyond the hard product, at often 2-3X the price. Even if it just a stale snack and bad wine.

Also, when AA changes service standards downward, they should send an email to anyone with an impacted flight, since they clearly know in advance. A common courtesy in case people want to make changes - or as in my case might be a tipping factor that makes me bag the entire trip. Most of us aren't on the AA website daily checking in case there's any service level decrements. Or necessarily on FT every day to catch them. I started out with a Delta flight to STT. When I realized there would be no food or beverage service in F, I moved dates slightly, to fly AA both ways. People do in fact make carrier and flight decisions based on services and amenities.

Everything goes into a decision about which flight I select and how much I'm willing to spend for a specific ticket. I'm not going to apologize for my rot gut wine or a gin & tonic and a stale snack when I pay for a F class ticket. AA should be happy I'm willing to pay an extra $500 for a ticket and have at least a few basic amenities on hand for F passengers, even on short flights.
Daze, asnovici, PDXPremier and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 2:37 pm

My biggest surprise on this is how many people apparently paid hundreds or thousands more for F in order to get 15-20 dollars worth of booze and a TV Dinner level meal .... I always thought you paid for F for the better/more comfortable seating ...
Old Jun 2, 2020, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Stickboy46
My biggest surprise on this is how many people apparently paid hundreds or thousands more for F in order to get 15-20 dollars worth of booze and a TV Dinner level meal .... I always thought you paid for F for the better/more comfortable seating ...
You pay for F for a variety of reasons, some weighed more heavily than others depending on the individual, route, equipment, etc.

Just because a number of us are upset at these AA food and beverage service cutbacks doesn't mean that food and beverage is the only reason F was purchased.
Spiff, asnovici, jcatman and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 2:54 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
This has to do with Consistency of service. We get it that AA may need to par back service but number one should be transparent about. Making up excuses offends people. Second whatever the service standard is employees should be required to follow it. I have certain service standards I'm expect to comply with, not just ignore at my whim because I'd rather play on my phone.
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
Great F FA today on PIT/PHL including PDBs. She came by and asked if I wanted another drink. I already had 5 minis in my bag from before where I didn't use them so I went to pull one out. FA said "oh I'm not suppose to see that because that's like you bringing on your own alcohol." I guess a big no no. We both laughed.

Did you complain that the Great F AA on your PIT-PHL flight was inconsistent when providing service against policy, including turning a blind eye to consuming your own alcohol brought onboard? I think that is called hypocrisy! The availability of alcohol is of insignificant importance to me. Some will change their flights/dates/times to ensure they get it because it is so important to them. I understand why that may be, but I won't "fly" in that direction on this forum.

For consistency, AA should make all flights dry and not cater them with alcohol at this time. Would that consistency work for you?

James
Old Jun 2, 2020, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun

Did you complain that the Great F AA on your PIT-PHL flight was inconsistent when providing service against policy, including turning a blind eye to consuming your own alcohol brought onboard? I think that is called hypocrisy! The availability of alcohol is of insignificant importance to me. Some will change their flights/dates/times to ensure they get it because it is so important to them. I understand why that may be, but I won't "fly" in that direction on this forum.

For consistency, AA should make all flights dry and not cater them with alcohol at this time. Would that consistency work for you?

James
Well in fact I didn't consume "my own alcohol" onboard, which really was the alcohol AA provided me. If AA decides to cater alcohol in F that's their business decision. Not mine. And no I wouldn't change my flight for a drink. Most of the paxs in F don't want dry flights based upon the numbers that order adult beverages. And if you don't want to drink in flight I don't think you are being forced to. I see people drinking on morning flights. Certainly not my thing but I'm not here on FT yelling that AA shouldn't be serving booze at 8 in the morning.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
You pay for F for a variety of reasons, some weighed more heavily than others depending on the individual, route, equipment, etc.

Just because a number of us are upset at these AA food and beverage service cutbacks doesn't mean that food and beverage is the only reason F was purchased.
Oh no i get being upset about the cutbacks, but when you have people saying they are bailing due to not getting a couple cheap drinks ... It does kinda insinuate that.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 3:43 pm

My biggest reason for purchasing F tickets is the bigger seat & space & location up front for early offs on landing. I wouldn't bail on an entire trip solely because of no service or drinks on my flights. But if there were other reasons I was already wavering and on the fence about the trip, yeah --- no service in F might be the proverbial "last straw" on bagging a trip.
RaindropT likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by asnovici
Just asked Twitter and they confirmed it is indeed correct on the website with no service in First class for flights less than 900 miles. They sent a copy paste response. AA at its best.
From the AA website -
We’re limiting food and drink service in the Main Cabin based on flight length and destination. You’re welcome to bring snacks and soft drinks on board to enjoy during your flight.

Flights under 900 miles
Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
No snacks, alcohol or food available

Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / 4.5 hours
Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
In First:
Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
No snacks or meals, and no drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.
I've flown DFW-SAT, SAT-DFW, and other under 900 flights, all in F. All were provisioned as noted above and all crews served drinks. Some proactive, some solely upon request. There was no alcohol in F on my SAT/DFW flights, didnt pay attention on others.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 4mm / Free Agent / GE / Secret Handshake
Originally Posted by scubadu
If folks are that unhappy with the product on offer, vote with your wallet and fly the competition or better yet stay home until service levels return to a persons required standards if the lack of a cookie presents an unbearable experience on a 900 mile flight.

Regards
Or better yet, either fly private or start their own airline catered to their tastes. They can even call it "BoozAir". Plenty of planes and pilots available....
Old Jun 2, 2020, 7:39 pm

thanks for the pic above of my meal. it will be a glorious experience for me thursday on my first AA first ever. im normally happy with the 50 dollar big seat on spirit but they dont start flying till friday and i need thursday. so instead i get to pay 10x more on aa all your skinny people got it made out there. i still dont know how the people more big boned than me even fit in a normal economy seat. they gotta be miserable.

anyone know what terminal in PHL ill be flying out of to dfw?
Old Jun 2, 2020, 9:53 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
Tonight on DFW-DEN on a 738, a normal, pre-covid beverage service was provided in first class with the FA proactively asking everyone what they wanted to drink. A full alcohol selection was available. The whole crew was awesome overall.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
So no alcohol or food in F on flights less than 900 miles now.

this seems to be a major devaluation.
apeortdz and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 8:14 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Re-opening this thread for discussion about meals, drinks, and related items when flying AA during the Coronavirus pandemic. Any posts that do not fit the topic have been (and will continue to be) deleted.

If you have specific questions about Coronavirus or wish to discuss that topic, we have a dedicated forum on that and there are threads in Omni-PR:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel-773/
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni-pr-652/

If you see a post that doesn't belong, use the caution triangle to the lower left to report it to the moderator team. DO NOT reply to it, quote it, or 'Like' the post.

If you haven't looked lately, now would be a great time to review the FT rules that you agreed to follow when you joined FlyerTalk:
https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php
chrisny2, UAPremierGuy and rumboj like this.

Last edited by aztimm; Jun 3, 2020 at 8:36 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.